VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I hope I'm wrong this time, but past releases have proven me right on this before. It's stockholm syndrome. All the NO VR NO BUY people are still going to buy it. They'll justify it as "well it was on sale so I figure it couldn't hurt to just see what it's like" or "I just wanted to see how the mechanics worked even if I'm not going to play it much" or insert any other excuse here.

It's like when Duck said FCs were not for him and he had no interest in getting one. Then got people to help him get one.

You're all foolin' yerselves maties! It's easy to talk now - but walk the walk when the expansion actually drops or goes on sale!
In some ways you're probably right. The publisher of the title I produced in 2005 (Steam was pretty young then) had a saying back then "Don't worry about the noise online, the power of retail will make all that irrelevant". That was certainly true back then, when "bricks and mortar" game sales were the vast majority and what happened in forums had no bearing at all on your monthly sales figures.
I'm not so sure now, as I would expect nearly all of Frontier's revenue is online (is there still a physical product version?) and social media I would expect does have a measurable effect.
Personally I won't be buying it, but as a kickstarter I'm getting it anyway, even if it doesn't generate a sale. The other 3 accounts I would have been buying it for, won't be getting it, and those would have been sales. How that will translate to the wider VR player base is anyone's guess.

Another factor that may have a bearing and a question I don't think I've seen answered is whether or not Odyssey is a stand alone purchase, or is it a DLC that requires the Base Elite Dangerous and possibly Horizons, before you can buy it? If its the latter then VR players may have more influence than expected, as your total market population is somewhat bound by the size of the existing player base.

Last edited:
This is what they have done and this is how I feel. They bought their fancy new building and brought their new rollercoasters and dino games and made a fortune.
They realize why put effort when I can make more money on a 2d game. Plain and simple. Hello games has crushed them in Vr and I assume Star wars will do the same.
Sadly they become a publisher, and pushed ED back for more greener pastures in my opinion. And frankly still in today's industry, you don't do VR support for the money, you do it to flex your "market leader dev muscles" and pure bragging rights. The guy from EA nails it down in one sentence: "We did VR because it was cool" (qfm).
Frontier have given an entire 18 month dev cycle for nothing major in return,
Frankly for what they delivered I assume a really small team working on this for long time. A skeleton crew. Major dev resources were elsewhere.
Hey 100 pages, thats the magic number to get an official frontier response. Oh wait that's 1000. Sorry to get your hopes up.
Sorry, for 100 pages you will get only @Viajero official modpost ;-)
For the VR people I saw some through the lens video from the HP reverb G2, OMG the best I have seen on any head set. None of the usual issues with headset lenses. This head set is going to be great,
I did TTL videos for the Valve Index using a 1100€ DSLR (Fujifilm XT-20 w/18-55 lens) and a mobile phone, and I can tell you they are worthless tbh... They're not like the real thing, eye functions differently than camera. And they add their own lens glitches which further detract from the truth. Also, often they zoom too much. Fun fact, the mobile phone version was better than DSLR version because you could better wiggle the camera. While they do approximate what the picture in the HMD looks like, they're still not true to life in my opinion. After trying for myself I learned not to trust them :)

Why are so many people in this thread so negative?
FDev's six years track record.
Every time I would fly out of Station it would remind me of what I had before Odyssey.
Yeah that hits so close to home - the grandeur of the massive slot and then even bigger grandeur of the planet below... Unforgettable. Compared to "meh" exit on pancake.

Children of a Dead Earth
Is for sale now on Steam, 90% off.

About the only recent advance in NMS that Frontier should embrace immediately is crossplay - I'd love to 'meet' some of the members of my main's squadron in-game!
Well I learned recently that Sony apparently removed all the hurdles in place in October last year, so almost a year ago. What's your excuse, FDev? M$ allows it since long time now.

Is for sale now on Steam, 90% off.
Well at that price it's certainly more than worth it.

As for No Man's Sky I think they were going for a 1970's SF book cover look. It may be another thing how well they succeeded. I think the visuals are a little too cutesy and not quite grungy enough for what they were going for. Of course, being inspired by paintings, that kind of style can be difficult to capture outside of, you know, actual paintings.

Still, you can play it fully in VR so I guess it's my favourite space game now.

Outer Worlds I think was the game that was trying to go for the Art Deco and Flash Gordon era look, but they didn't quite fully commit to it either. Ended up just looking modern and generic, to my eyes anyway.

Duck said FCs were not for him and he had no interest in getting one. Then got people to help him get one.

Ah yes.... That.
tenor.gif

Attachments

• 1593957957947.png
    1593957957947.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
True, but most don't go shouting about it on the games forums either.
Oh yes they do happens all the time with this game and a boat load of others. Basically it's what these forums are supposed to be for so the devs can improve the game. supposedly. Go visit the Bungie (Destiny 2) forums this place is tranquil compared to that.

Oh yes they do happens all the time with this game and a boat load of others. Basically it's what these forums are supposed to be for so the devs can improve the game. supposedly. Go visit the Bungie (Destiny 2) forums this place is tranquil compared to that.
Yup, and they're still threats. Not very good ones, but threats all the same.

Yeah VR is pretty much the only reason I'm interested in ED at all. If I felt like playing pancake, there are better pancake games I could be playing, including space games.

And FD could add everything I ever wanted and passionately argued for, like full Newtonian flight with no speed limits, full player to player economy, meaningful and balanced PVP, open only, no auto-aim weapons and if none of it is in VR they would have still taken away more from me than they would have added. They might have made the best darned space sim game ever, but VR is like actually flying a spaceship. And I'd rather go visit those planets myself, and not just watch some action figure do it for me on a TV screen!

Just some perspective on how important this is to me.
+1 for that, as you say, playing it on flat screen is very detached somewhat like watching an onboard camera footage from an F1 car, playing it on VR you are the driver.

This gets even more annoying when you start pulling crazee Gees, like a boost turn, and the scanner moves out of your field of vision so you don't know if the critter broke left or right. In that circumstance you are momentarily "blinded", but in VR you can chin down to see the scanner again

I know in this forum it may be considered as a blasphemy but if I have to play in pancake mode I prefer Star Citizen for various personal reasons.
That game, even if in alpha state, already got everything I expect from a space game.
The only issue is the lack of VR. If Odyssey lacks of VR too, well there's simply no reason for me to play ED anymore.
A number of years ago I bought Star Citizen to keep me ticking over for elite to be developed, I now feel it's been the inverse of that, without VR Elite will have kept me ticking over while Star Citizen was being developed.

I am just as amused at the praise NMS gets. A god awful game with simplistic graphics and the most basic gameplay loops.

And as to people allowed to have their opinion, when have I said they cannot. They can say all they want. Doesn't mean its correct. NMS has basic graphics and very basic gameplay loops. This are facts. Fine, you may like those simplistic graphics and simplistic gameplay loops, good for you, but saying that NMS has out developed FDev is laughable.

As to argument, I'm not arguing, it's a statement.
I've never played NMS, as it doesn't appeal to me as I perceive it as being "Minecraft in space" - however, "Minecraft" is one of the most popular games ever, so while it may not work for you and I, I can see the appeal to a lot of people. And I know that compared to elite the graphics are somewhat simplistic, but from what I've read of the VR in NMS, it's a lot of work that went into making it a proper full VR experience like Golgot is campaigning for, rather than the mvp "VR Headlook" that I've set my sights on. By that I mean to say, as far as I am aware, that hand controllers are very prevalent in the game and as such things like door buttons work, and many other things that require off camera / behind the scenes support. I think this level of detail is something they should be lauded for, and that aspect of NMS can be used to benchmark

Please don't make strawman arguments. "I won't give you money if you don't do what I want" is a threat. In this case, a threat of financial injury. Just because you want to narrow the definition of a word doesn't change what the word means.
Strawman? Pot kettle my man...
"a threat of financial injury" 😂
Just google it, and this time read the definitions and the context.

"No VR no Buy" is is not a threat, it is by definition an ultimatum wrapped up in a hashtag friendly soundbite:

The difference between threat and ultimatum is that a threat is an expression of intent to injure or punish another whereas an ultimatum is a final statement of terms or conditions made by one party to another.

So, were a hypothetical person to say "If you don't add VR to Odyssey I'm gonna burn your offices down" - they are making a threat of damage to property.
Likewise if hypothetical person said "If you don't add VR to Odyssey I'm gonna break your staff's legs" That is also a threat of physical harm and injury.
If that same person said "If you don't add VR to Odyssey I'm not gonna buy it" - they are presenting an ultimatum as it relates purely to the transaction.

No VR No Buy is defacto stipulating terms and conditions, we are mandating that a feature of the "Odyssey" product has to be VR support if it is to be "acceptable" and therefore "worth" purchasing to us. Removing VR from the game significantly or even totally devalues it from our point of view, ergo the presence or absence of VR support will determine whether there is a transaction or not. Therefore "No VR No Buy" is stipulating terms and conditions as we are, in a round-about way, stating that our purchase of Odyssey will be conditional on the inclusion of VR support.

Ergo, as "No VR No Buy" stipulates the terms and conditions we are applying to the pending transaction to buy the Odyssey patch, without malevolent connotations or inferred criminal outcomes, it is indisputably an ultimatum rather than a threat.

Last edited:
I've never played NMS, as it doesn't appeal to me as I perceive it as being "Minecraft in space" - however, "Minecraft" is one of the most popular games ever, so while it may not work for you and I, I can see the appeal to a lot of people. And I know that compared to elite the graphics are somewhat simplistic, but from what I've read of the VR in NMS, it's a lot of work that went into making it a proper full VR experience like Golgot is campaigning for, rather than the mvp "VR Headlook" that I've set my sights on. By that I mean to say, as far as I am aware, that hand controllers are very prevalent in the game and as such things like door buttons work, and many other things that require off camera / behind the scenes support. I think this level of detail is something they should be lauded for, and that aspect of NMS can be used to benchmark
I think they put a reasonable amount of effort into the VR implementation, but the whole team worked on it for some time. I'm very confident the Fdev could do that or even a better job, but again it will take time.

People keep talking about the 100 person team in ED, which they very likely have, but only certain people will be able to work on a VR implementation from that team, and we don't know how their current work schedule is.

I also got tired of the comparisons of NMS and Fdev development. It's just silly. How long do they think it takes to design one of the very simplistic ships in NMS compared to any of the ships in ED. It's not even a close comparison.

All the textures in NMS are very basic compared to ED, and ED textures are only going to get better in the next update due to more levels of LOD.

The missions system in NMS is as basic as it gets.

But I have absolutely nothing against people liking NMS, but trying to compare the development for them is just ludicrous.

I hope I'm wrong this time, but past releases have proven me right on this before. It's stockholm syndrome. All the NO VR NO BUY people are still going to buy it. They'll justify it as "well it was on sale so I figure it couldn't hurt to just see what it's like" or "I just wanted to see how the mechanics worked even if I'm not going to play it much" or insert any other excuse here.

It's like when Duck said FCs were not for him and he had no interest in getting one. Then got people to help him get one.

You're all foolin' yerselves maties! It's easy to talk now - but walk the walk when the expansion actually drops or goes on sale!

In between no VR and broken mining economy, and my complete disinterest in FPS, it will be pretty easy to say no. Plus, tons of other good games available, many in the pipeline...

I will follow the news with great interest, but unless there is an easy and good way to mod VR into it, I won't buy it.

In between no VR and broken mining economy, and my complete disinterest in FPS, it will be pretty easy to say no. Plus, tons of other good games available, many in the pipeline...

I will follow the news with great interest, but unless there is an easy and good way to mod VR into it, I won't buy it.
I'm not interested in a FPS either. But I'm interested in FPP play where combat may happen.

For me it's Infinity: Battlescape and Children of a Dead Earth.

Both of these titles have a great deal of appeal for me, but Steam is a hard no sell for me.

It could be the best game that could ever exist, a constant full body orgasm fulfilling every need, want, and fantasy of mine, and it could be free...but if installing Steam were the price, the cost would be too high.

I'm not sure if Infininty: Battlescape is Steam only yet, but I get the feeling it will be when it launches.

Top Bottom