Will PS4 get the Cobra Mk IV?

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm reminded of DUST from EvE that was half arsed done on the PS3 (and everywhere else to be honest) and never (as far as I know) even turned up on PS4. Another reason why , despite owning xboxes (all variants) and PS3 and 4's ( Im a techinician I fix this stuff - so tend to "acquire them over time") I mainly use them for Netflix, Prime etc and rarely game on them.
I think PS4 owners have a particularly strong case for a Cobra 4 and it wouldn't affect me on pc in the slightest.

I’m not bothered to be honest. I hear the ship aint great and imagine it’s exclusivity is what makes it so desirable. I bet if they released it to all, most would try it, discover it’s meh and move on.

TBH I'm not really that bothered about the CIV either, but this issue runs deeper than just missing out on a ship that other platforms have had the opportunity to buy. It's more that it has become abundantly clear that FDev don't give a flying fig about PS4 players.

Surprised it took you so long to ask :)

We are still working out the finer details of the PS4 Release and there'll be further announcements closer to the time.

2016. Now 2020, no Cobra MK4. I think it's probably time to forget them unlocking it for PS4 owners. I got it on the Xbox One, but with the game sharing the same universe, it really should be available to PS4 owners too because I play primarily on the PS4 now and wish there was parity for all players on all systems. Seeing as the game has NPC's rubbing them in your nose, too.

Cross play next... Lol.

Screenshot_2020-07-22-12-02-15.png

I really dont see this sort of narrative making much headway in changing the minds at Frontier.
Everyone knows that the Playstation outsold the Xbox in the current generation. Microsoft made some initial mistakes in the marketing at the start of this round of consoles and never recovered the lost ground.
I can't see (happy to be proven wrong) how this line of logic will achieve results where Frontier could not lose face.

I prefer to argue that the 'exclusivity' of the Cobra MkIV, initially on PC, subsequently on Xbox should be retconned as 'timed exclusive for those who bought Horizons'.
It is more than four years since the Cobra MkIV was withdrawn from availability.

I would like to the Cobra MkIV to be available to all commanders who have Horizons.
There are plenty of ships in the category (Krait, Chieftain, etc) - the Cobra MkIV would join them.

One of the comments that come up time and again is spaghetti code, and the game being difficult to code for. Here is an opportunity to simplify the ship buying logic.

It's more that it has become abundantly clear that FDev don't give a flying fig about PS4 players.
The original team that ported ED to PS4 cared. They gave an entire fig tree worth of figs to make ED pretty darn good on PS4. I actually have a lot of respect for that original team of developers.

But soon after that port was done, everything started to fall apart (starting with 2.4) - updates started breaking things, the PS4's representative Lloyd moved on to other projects (never to be replaced), and the game slowly became a rats nest of bugs and poor performance. It was clear that the PS4 team had been dismantled and moved to other projects like JWE. But Frontier got the infusion of cash they wanted, so that's all that matters (in their eyes)...

But Frontier got the infusion of cash they wanted, so that's all that matters (in their eyes)...

So it seems, but given the upcoming paid for DLC next year, can they afford to treat PS4 players so badly? Perhaps there are so few of us now, if we refuse to buy it because of their shoddy treatment it won't cost them that much.

Never mind the CIV they can't even be bothered to fix broken trophies.

So it seems, but given the upcoming paid for DLC next year, can they afford to treat PS4 players so badly? Perhaps there are so few of us now, if we refuse to buy it because of their shoddy treatment it won't cost them that much.

Never mind the CIV they can't even be bothered to fix broken trophies.

I think that you are over-estimating the feeling of the community regarding the Cobra MkIV.
As much as I would like it, it is not a game breaker.
I don't think that you will be able to bring enough financial pressure to bear from within the Playstation community to force Frontier to introduce the ship.

It needs to be a Hearts and Minds thing. (one of the reasons I was campaigning for Cobra MkIV for all / simplifying the codebase)
The absence of a ship that new players don't know about, combined with existing players having already spent the money feels to me that holding Frontier to financial hostage isn't viable.

I think that we would need to either show a win-win reason for Frontier to provide the Cobra MkIV to PS4 (all) commanders - something like the financial revenue of ship paint jobs.
or we need the whole of the Elite player base to press for it. - We have supporters on the other platforms but it is not 100%.

We also have to cater for Arthur's response that kicked this thread back to life which said that Frontier have said that they will not do it. (at least he came back with a response which was better than four years of silence - thanks Arthur)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom