ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

Greetings Commanders,

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.

Over the coming months we have some really exciting news and content to share with you. We will be kicking things off in August with a fantastic Developers Diary, which will show you some behind the scenes development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We can't wait to show you more and we are excited to share this epic journey with you.

o7 Commanders

If you can't wait, come on just tell us??? No one is holding you back??

Back in the day surnames were given depending on the job you did... Cooper, Farrier, Thatcher, Smith, Smeghead etc. All those carrier owners now stranded out in the deep black after the latest patch certainly deserve the surname Odysseus... because they have a long and arduous journey back on their space legs now that they are out of fuel. I’ve been grinding for materials so that I can engineer, I’ve been grinding to be able to get a Fleet Carrier (it even has a name ‘Pigeon’) I’ve just got past Marco Quent!!! But I can now announce... now that it is announcement season that I don’t think I’ll bother and also... now that VR is about to gather dust on the shelf with Mr Weezy... I can announce that I too am looking elsewhere... exciting news eh!
Only been playing since 1985, a kickstarter stuck out in the black in an un-engineered Asp when engineers kicked in for everyone else... been playing catch-up ever since... now ready to mine for glory... and that’s now dead!!! Great times for one and all.
Elite for me will be what it has always been then... Disappear off into the ether, beer in hand and my music playing through the headphones... just enjoying the vistas. Don’t need a carrier for that, don’t need legs, don’t need to engineer, don’t need Odyssey. And when VR is removed completely... FDev won’t need me.

Cmdr Ivebeenhad (not my real surname)

PS It's amazing to think that the human race... even though it's only just managed to get out into the far reaches of the galaxy... has littered it with old vehicles... and probably nappies buried in the sand!

From a technology stand point, it would take more to remove VR, than it would to just rebuild elite without the VR functionality.

It's stupid to think they would take VR away from spaceflight.

Is there a precedent for switching in and out of VR during a game? Don't have a headset myself but curious how it would work when you go from ship to on-foot and back again. Presumably it needs a bit more than "put on 3D glasses now".

Back in the day surnames were given depending on the job you did... Cooper, Farrier, Thatcher, Smith, Smeghead etc. All those carrier owners now stranded out in the deep black after the latest patch certainly deserve the surname Odysseus...

Very good point. It took Odysseus (Ulysses) about 10 years just to get home from the Trojan War... maybe this is the 10 year plan. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

Is there a precedent for switching in and out of VR during a game? Don't have a headset myself but curious how it would work when you go from ship to on-foot and back again. Presumably it needs a bit more than "put on 3D glasses now".
If you start Oddysey in the Launcher no VR ist working. You have to switch between Horizons(VR) and Oddysey(non VR). Makes no sense but this is FDEV.

If you start Oddysey in the Launcher no VR ist working. You have to switch between Horizons(VR) and Oddysey(non VR). Makes no sense but this is FDEV.

Yes, but if you were going to implement VR in Odyssey for the spaceship bits how would it work when you switched between them? I don't have a headset so I don't know how simply this can be done.

Yes, but if you were going to implement VR in Odyssey for the spaceship bits how would it work when you switched between them? I don't have a headset so I don't know how simply this can be done.

Sorry, but this a complete guess. Odyssey is not released, and no one knows how it will work.

just from a technology stand point, there is nothing stopping them from implementing a switch between VR and non-VR gameplay. All headsets support that functionality, and you can switch between VR and regular monitor during gameplay in ED as of right now anyways.

Again, we should wait until its a bit closer to release to hear updates on their VR implementation (if any) in the FPS zones.

Sorry, but this a complete guess. Odyssey is not released, and no one knows how it will work.

just from a technology stand point, there is nothing stopping them from implementing a switch between VR and non-VR gameplay. All headsets support that functionality, and you can switch between VR and regular monitor during gameplay in ED as of right now anyways.

Again, we should wait until its a bit closer to release to hear updates on their VR implementation (if any) in the FPS zones.

I'm guessing part the problem is that you can't implement multiple methods of doing on-foot VR in a competitive multiplayer situation as teleporters would have advantages/disadvantages over people who don't get motion sickness.

I'm guessing part the problem is that you can't implement multiple methods of doing on-foot VR in a competitive multiplayer situation as teleporters would have advantages/disadvantages over people who don't get motion sickness.

Ah yes, and I meant to respond to the person you responded to (taking the guess that one would have to close the launcher).

exactly. VR is a controller, so how do you balance VR vs KB&M/controllers? Its hard to look around with a KB&M/Controller vs VR, what does raising/lowering the gun feel like? How does this all relate to how they are building the PVP or PVthargoid action?

I understand the frustration of VR players, but also understand the huge hurdles VR has to take for FPS mixed play. Add that complexity with the engine dev work needed, I can see a world where VR for FPS play is implemented ~a year after Odyssey release. As Frontier seems to be a mixed bag of waterfall and Scrum project management styles

The most ironic thing is last year we had Galnet stories talking about first person like gadgets which if published now would fuel speculation and hint about Odysseys contents in a smart, in game way. Instead we have:

Devs get paid to be imaginative, it can't be that hard to build synergy this way can it?
Don't forget though, in typical FDEV weirdness, they said GalNet did not generally reflect what was going on in the game and was definitely not easter eggs about coming features.

If FDEV were really clever, they would indeed have a CM or someone spend 20 minutes a week typing up short GalNet news with such vague clues.

My hope is GalNet gets treated more as the DDF described newsfeeds and can actually report on what is happening around the galaxy at PP and Faction level at least, with system news also pulling from CMDR logs and whatnot via automation rather than manual writing, basically enhancing and expanding on the current in-system news feeds.
There are several parts to ED like GalNet/ Newsfeeds that could be simply amazing improvements to the game, but the code and databases needed could be horrendous. Missions is another one, if FDEV could weave player logs and Tier 2 characters into some templated very long chained missions with trigger points like the Trainging/New Player experience, it could make the illusion of custom written "story line" content, which is what a lot of players burnt out on just trying the different mechanics really want. Either make the game more like Dual Universe plans, with players really having an impact on tons of things in the game, or at least interject storylines that can be played. I think this could also be what the mistakenly leaked "Mission Pack" videos hinted at but only FD knows. FD said for a long time "you can't have 10,000 players all save the same princess" in ED, to which I say "wrong". It's what a lot of players want (not all I am sure), and we already all do the same missions over and over, so who cares if 10,000 players I'll never meet all complete the same or similar story-line mission? It won't affect me or my enjoyment- FD could just slightly change names and places via procedural generation RNG and voila; after all with trillions of humans there will be many very similar or identical stories.

Don't forget though, in typical FDEV weirdness, they said GalNet did not generally reflect what was going on in the game and was definitely not easter eggs about coming features.

If FDEV were really clever, they would indeed have a CM or someone spend 20 minutes a week typing up short GalNet news with such vague clues.

My hope is GalNet gets treated more as the DDF described newsfeeds and can actually report on what is happening around the galaxy at PP and Faction level at least, with system news also pulling from CMDR logs and whatnot via automation rather than manual writing, basically enhancing and expanding on the current in-system news feeds.
There are several parts to ED like GalNet/ Newsfeeds that could be simply amazing improvements to the game, but the code and databases needed could be horrendous. Missions is another one, if FDEV could weave player logs and Tier 2 characters into some templated very long chained missions with trigger points like the Trainging/New Player experience, it could make the illusion of custom written "story line" content, which is what a lot of players burnt out on just trying the different mechanics really want. Either make the game more like Dual Universe plans, with players really having an impact on tons of things in the game, or at least interject storylines that can be played. I think this could also be what the mistakenly leaked "Mission Pack" videos hinted at but only FD knows. FD said for a long time "you can't have 10,000 players all save the same princess" in ED, to which I say "wrong". It's what a lot of players want (not all I am sure), and we already all do the same missions over and over, so who cares if 10,000 players I'll never meet all complete the same or similar story-line mission? It won't affect me or my enjoyment- FD could just slightly change names and places via procedural generation RNG and voila; after all with trillions of humans there will be many very similar or identical stories.

Its insane really- you'd need 30 screenshots (one per week), say, five dev diaries (one per month) + one for Xmas, in game Galnet stories that tease Odyssey, and keep an eye / interact on the forums.

To be perfectly honest, I have zero interest in Odyssey. I play in VR and I got into ED purely because I wanted to fly. Not walk around. Not build bases or stations. Not play an FPS game. FLY. Odyssey is adding aspects that I don't want in the game at all and taking away one that is critical for me. So, I'll be sticking w/Horizons, thanks.

It's adding atmospheric planets. xD
You're not interested about those too? :p

just from a technology stand point, there is nothing stopping them from implementing a switch between VR and non-VR gameplay.

just from a technology standpoint, there is nothing stopping them from continuing the current barebones support for vr either.

All headsets support that functionality, and you can switch between VR and regular monitor during gameplay in ED as of right now anyways.

no, you can't.

if by 'support that functionality' you mean that you can 'take off your headset' (brilliant ...), the game will still be using its tracking for rendering. meaning you will need to manually place your headset in a position that centers the view on your monitor and doesn't move around, which will be awkward in most situations and plain impossible in the rest. the ideal place would be just over your head, but with the ergonomics of most headsets you would be staring at the ceiling of your cockpit (or the tenuously atmospheric sky) if you did that. not to mention that in many cases your monitor view will be a small window, likely in low resolution.

ed actually requires you to go into options, change the hmd option, and manually restart the game to switch the rendering mode.

have you even used a vr headset?

Its insane really- you'd need 30 screenshots (one per week), say, five dev diaries (one per month) + one for Xmas, in game Galnet stories that tease Odyssey, and keep an eye / interact on the forums.
It could even be a story every other week or once a month.
But yeah, something.
Even the CM team ought to be able to do it and while I know prepping for game shows is probably pretty time consuming, but there shouldn't be any of that going on right now.

On a side note, would be interesting if Arf walked us through a typical CM day; how much time on forums, streams, in meetings, talking to producers and developers, communicating with media, game show organizers, etc. I'm sure we'd love a CM dedicated to the forums but I don't think FD can afford that for ED just yet, not like they are earning cash like WoW levels.

Good grief no, don't ask the players! That's how we got into this mess in the first place.

Engineering: "My time is devalued if an outcome is potentially not always positive". Result: Power creep.
Mining: "All these tools are way too hard to use and I still don't make a lot of money". Result: Insane cr/hour opportunities.
Trading: "It's too hard, please let us use APIs and keep prices less fluctuating". Result: Insane cr/hour for months.
Fleet Carriers: "They are too slow and expensive and can't make money in deep space". Result: Indestructible persistent assets that wreak havoc on everything related to the BGS.

No, players as hive minds are dumb. Keep them out of game development.

:D S
Those are the responses from players FD chose to listen to.

My thoughts on all those topics were much better. 😝
Seriously.

Top Bottom