ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

no, you can't.

if by 'support that functionality' you mean that you can 'take off your headset' (brilliant ...), the game will still be using its tracking for rendering. meaning you will need to manually place your headset in a position that centers the view on your monitor and doesn't move around, which will be awkward in most situations and plain impossible in the rest. the ideal place would be just over your head, but with the ergonomics of most headsets you would be staring at the ceiling of your cockpit (or the tenuously atmospheric sky) if you did that. not to mention that in many cases your monitor view will be a small window, likely in low resolution.

ed actually requires you to go into options, change the hmd option, and manually restart the game to switch the rendering mode.
Exactly, I'm unaware of any way to switch out of VR without exiting the game and restarting.

edit - I seem to remember MalicVR saying there are some VR games where it's been coded to allow it.

Last edited:
Exactly, I'm unaware of any way to switch out of VR without exiting the game and restarting.

VR still feels very experimental when it comes to switching around displays, I've not seen any games that do this for any reason but it always seems like a faf on titles that have had additional VR added post release (flight sims etc)

"duo the diner" has one player using the montior while the other uses VR but the graphics are very basic as they'd need to be!

just from a technology standpoint, there is nothing stopping them from continuing the current barebones support for vr either.

no, you can't.

if by 'support that functionality' you mean that you can 'take off your headset' (brilliant ...), the game will still be using its tracking for rendering. meaning you will need to manually place your headset in a position that centers the view on your monitor and doesn't move around, which will be awkward in most situations and plain impossible in the rest. the ideal place would be just over your head, but with the ergonomics of most headsets you would be staring at the ceiling of your cockpit (or the tenuously atmospheric sky) if you did that. not to mention that in many cases your monitor view will be a small window, likely in low resolution.

ed actually requires you to go into options, change the hmd option, and manually restart the game to switch the rendering mode.

have you even used a vr headset?

I just said you can change it in game. Which you can. I didn't say anything about it not requiring a restart. We do not need a different client for VR play, was the main gist.

I just said you can change it in game. Which you can. I didn't say anything about it not requiring a restart. We do not need a different client for VR play, was the main gist.

i've must have been misled by this statement of yours then:

All headsets support that functionality, and you can switch between VR and regular monitor during gameplay in ED as of right now anyways.

that's not a functionality of the headset then, and the follow up is just wrong.

@Stephen Benedetti - Good to be appraised of the start of Dev Diaries - I'll look forward to reading the first in August, will that be toward the end of the month?
I don't wish to appear negative, truly, but the game doesn't seem to be in a good position following the FC introduction and following patches... I only make this observation as even in my normally laid-back gaming - two components are negatively affected, trading - both supply and demand for reasonable profit items have plummeted, and of course my least favourite - but lucrative - mining, hotspots aren't, mineral distribution is now even more haphazard then previously...

Odyssey is due to appear in around 6 months, given the current state of the game - and the fact it is degenerating with each 'fix' - the enthusiasm for purchasing additional content, certainly in my case, is waning rapidly. Are there plans to restore the game to some semblance of the 'normal' we had previously or is this the 'new standard' we are to expect?

It's the Forums "sweet and sour" experience for sure! ;)
The fantastic community. The tradition. ;)

bagarre-asterix.jpg

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Greetings Commanders,

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.

Over the coming months we have some really exciting news and content to share with you. We will be kicking things off in August with a fantastic Developers Diary, which will show you some behind the scenes development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We can't wait to show you more and we are excited to share this epic journey with you.

o7 Commanders

We are all excited to see the human movement behind the sceens :)

we know you are excited

We can't wait
You don't know anything about how we feel and you don't even bother knowing it, don't speak for everyone.
" We can't wait " 😂 (really? goodness!!! ,tell us more .) Yes ,they can´t wait ᵗᵒ ˢʰᵒʷ ᵘˢ ⁿᵉʷ ᵈᵉˢᶦᵍⁿˢ ᵒᶠ ˢᵘᶦᵗˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ʷᵉᵃᵖᵒⁿˢ ᶦⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵗᵒʳᵉ ,we already know your new priorities.

Because I pay attention to what is being told us, maybe?
I think currently they plan to release in early January - if you listened to the June David Braben interview he does mention it...

I don't have the toxic cynicism prevelant here to doubt his word, you may think differently if you wish 🤷‍♂️
If someone at Frontier actually said the words “early January” then I missed it and stand corrected. The only thing I ever recall seeing was “early 2021,” which in my mind translates from FDev speak into late May or early June.

Greetings Commanders,

With the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, we know you are excited and keen to learn more of whats to come.

Over the coming months we have some really exciting news and content to share with you. We will be kicking things off in August with a fantastic Developers Diary, which will show you some behind the scenes development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

We can't wait to show you more and we are excited to share this epic journey with you.

o7 Commanders
Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to seeing whats in the the update.

If someone at Frontier actually said the words “early January” then I missed it and stand corrected. The only thing I ever recall seeing was “early 2021,” which in my mind translates from FDev speak into late May or early June.
Essentially he stated "A few days late - but not over Christmas" which I supposed could translate to 3 months late at a stretch :)

Some of us have been waiting for years for features to be updated, will it be possible to get a yes its getting updated / no its not on the previous features from 1.1 onwards? If I wait eight months only to see these features overlooked after so much discussion I'll be very sad inside.
Then a few extra weeks aren't going to hurt. ;)

What a joke! I mean this. You CM's and FDEV have zero QAQC people and expect us the player base to do it for you. This Founder I am sure after the patch debacle of the Fleet Carriers ruined everything in the game will most likely not bother with Space Legs. I am slowly running out of Tritium because you people ruined mining too far.

Like I said what a sodding joke. You expect us to take you seriously after you ruined the mining game for explorers too much. As far as I am concerned your reputation is in ruins.

I am very unhappy with what you people released on us fine folks who backed your game years ago.

FIX IT! before releasing more bugged code on us.

Too salty? I don't care anymore.
Is that a violin I can here?

From a technology stand point, it would take more to remove VR, than it would to just rebuild elite without the VR functionality.
It's stupid to think they would take VR away from spaceflight.
Apparently they did a code rewrite, it doesn't make much sense otherwise. "VR will remain compatible with base game and horizons. Odyssey won't be VR compatible at launch". So yeah I don't think they would waste time ripping off VR support from the client, they simply didn't implement it in rewritten engine. Because FDev. PS: It's Lean waterfall aka peeing in the wind ;-)

FD said for a long time "you can't have 10,000 players all save the same princess" in ED, to which I say "wrong".
Yeah, and Destiny 2 manages that flawlessly in glorious multiplayer too.

no, you can't.
if by 'support that functionality' you mean that you can 'take off your headset' (brilliant ...), the game will still be using its tracking for rendering.
I've not seen any games that do this for any reason

You're both wrong gentlemen, X: Rebirth VR did a very elegant solution to the problem. You take of the hmd, it senses that (proximity sensor) and switches whole rendering and controls and whatnot to 2d / monitor.

Top Bottom