ANNOUNCEMENT Community Update July 2020

Sorry, but this a complete guess. Odyssey is not released, and no one knows how it will work.

just from a technology stand point, there is nothing stopping them from implementing a switch between VR and non-VR gameplay. All headsets support that functionality, and you can switch between VR and regular monitor during gameplay in ED as of right now anyways.

Again, we should wait until its a bit closer to release to hear updates on their VR implementation (if any) in the FPS zones.
You can do this, but the view is only from one eye, it's not centred. I don't think it's feasible for the Odyssey client to be partially VR as well. If it's to be VR, it all needs to be VR, but I can't see why they can't do a horizons plus client if you own both which allows you land on all the planets and use your SRV in VR.

You can do this, but the view is only from one eye, it's not centred. I don't think it's feasible for the Odyssey client to be partially VR as well. If it's to be VR, it all needs to be VR, but I can't see why they can't do a horizons plus client if you own both which allows you land on all the planets and use your SRV in VR.

Yea, this was what i was thinking. You cant have Odyssey without Horizons, so it would still be a Horizons + and base game separation

I have no confidence in Odyssey being anything more than a bug riddled mess when it's released based on recent performance.........with no VR of course :mad:

Any time frame they give is irrelevant as is any time frame we speculate on, as it will take half-a-dozen patches to fix it up.

Unless of course they have their top designers and developers working on it, as opposed to the.........B team shall we say.......working on ED right now.

Apparently they did a code rewrite, it doesn't make much sense otherwise.

could be. could be a performance issue with the new renders. but maybe they just got cold feet because it's too much complication for release, they're late anyway.

they were lucky with ed in that the game setting is naturally suited for vr, zero issues with movement, controllers or interface. 3 days of hacking around and the result is already stunning. with legs (and assumedly hands) this changes. surely most of us would be more than happy with a sub par implementation, but frontier would be reluctant to release such a product and get bad press (us moaning on the forum about very specific issues (no matter how gross and how many years the bug persists) doesn't really bother them, nobody out there cares. but some media outlet/review expecting industry quality standards and describing it as the worst vr game ever would be an embarrassment on their portfolio).

maybe some day we get to know.

You're both wrong gentlemen, X: Rebirth VR did a very elegant solution to the problem. You take of the hmd, it senses that (proximity sensor) and switches whole rendering and controls and whatnot to 2d / monitor.

that's very cool! but i was talking about ed ;)

I can see why VR is dropped totally all over the board. Let me clarify: I am not a game developer, but I do have some 'back end' knowledge on how this would have an impact on Netcoding / VR support and cross platform.

First of all, one part of the problem 'they' (Frontier) might be facing is that all platforms run on the same server (at least, I head something about this in a convo in late june 2020 about this). Because consoles and PC therefor sit in the same realm of things, you might want to know that coding VR on a PC works different then coding VR on a console.

That said, VR support for all platforms (PC, XBOX, PS) needs to be unified to work in a similar way. That is one part of the issue

A second thing, locomotion is a big thing for VR support to work proper. There are some titles (I remember of playing) that do this pretty well. But in this case you have to proper balance it between a person who is playing with a VR set, and a person who isn't playing with a VR set.

So in this case, timing, walk speed, movement etc.... kind of become the issue here. That is one. Because on a personal note, I haven't come accross with a single VR title that allows cross platform while playing a game with a VR set, or without. So that is something that would be new, and groundbreaking as a challenge at the same time.

Another thing that could be an issue here: netcoding. VR requires a different way to netcode things (things that gets send back and forth from client/server) versus a normal first person shooting type of game play. Because the latter just depends on inputs coming from mouse/keyboard while the first also depends on movement from the headset and touching keys. So there is a lot of difference between the two regarding netcoding issues.

Again, I am not a dev for coding these type of things, I am just posting it as 'common' knowledge that is already know regarding these type of things.

Isn't it simply that:

-- Once you get out of a cockpit motion sickness becomes a serious issue.
-- The normal solution is to provide multiple types of VR for people with different levels of motion sickness. You can't do this in a competitive multiplayer game.

And perhaps in addition:

-- In VR people have to walk/run at realistic speeds. Realistic speeds and FPS gameplay aren't necessarily a good combo.

You can maybe deal with these things, but it's a huge design task.

EDIT: Oh, and, the issues with nausea are when movement feels unnatural. Moving in a wide range of different gravities probably compounds this in ways that other games haven't had to deal with.

Then a few extra weeks aren't going to hurt. ;)

I don't mind waiting a few weeks if I actually get a flipping answer.

At the same time I don't want to wait 8 months to find out FD have done nothing yet again after two years, and go into hibernation for another two. The Powerplay community thats left should get an answer sooner rather than later (and not an FD Soon™) just out of decency, since FD dropped the feature about a week after releasing it. The other is actually engaging with Powerplay representatives to make sure what they introduce is not worse than what it replaces, given the bumpy ride BGS changes have had.

Wow. The reveals are starting a month earlier than I would have expected. On the one hand, I am excited to see what Frontier has been so busily working upon. On the other...I hate new content teasers that arrive months before I can get my hands on the new stuff. It cuts into my enjoyment of the existing product. :)

I just really hope that what is revealed justifies putting Horizons into maintenance mode these past 18-months.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks if I actually get a flipping answer.

At the same time I don't want to wait 8 months to find out FD have done nothing yet again after two years, and go into hibernation for another two. The Powerplay community thats left should get an answer sooner rather than later (and not an FD Soon™) just out of decency, since FD dropped the feature about a week after releasing it. The other is actually engaging with Powerplay representatives to make sure what they introduce is not worse than what it replaces, given the bumpy ride BGS changes have had.
As far as powerplay is concerned, I'd assume that nothing has been done until they actually say something. I wouldn't hold my breath or wait to find out, I wouldn't even give it a second thought myself. Helps keep the disappointment down when it doesn't happen.

As far as powerplay is concerned, I'd assume that nothing has been done until they actually say something. I wouldn't hold my breath or wait to find out, I wouldn't even give it a second thought myself. Helps keep the disappointment down when it doesn't happen.

And as I said before, its been five years of no new meaningful PP updates, two from discussing (and FD being happy with an unknown portion of it).

Unless FD actually improve the more involved aspects of ED, there is nothing more for me and I rather just save my time.

Top Bottom