Fixing Elite Dangerous Launcher on High DPI Displays yourself

Fixed it for me, by locating "EDLaunch.exe" > open Context Menu (with right mouse button) > "Properties" pops up > switch to "Compatibility" tab > press "Change high DPI settings" button in the new pop-up > tick (enable) "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and change "Scaling performed by:" from "Application" to System". Then close both popups with ok.
Hope this persist between updates.
However, FDev should fix this for everyone. It used to work before.
Too lazy to search or open an issue in the tracker, but would be happy to up-vote one given a link.

Quotes stolen from another thread, I started a new one to have a proper title:
EDLauncher.png
Fixed it for me, by locating "EDLaunch.exe" > open Context Menu (with right mouse button) > "Properties" pops up > switch to "Compatibility" tab > press "Change high DPI settings" button in the new pop-up > tick (enable) "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and change "Scaling performed by:" from "Application" to System". Then close both popups with ok.
Hope this persist between updates.
Still FDev should fix this for everyone. It used to work before.
Too lazy to search or open an issue in the tracker, but would be happy to up-vote one given a link.

There are mulitle issues on the bug tracker, mine closed as a duplicate, as I did not search when I opened it.

Glad you posted here, as I am sure we are not alone in being unable to spend 2 minutes using a search function on the bug tracker, but ok doing it on the Foruum :)

Cheers
Simon

Will FD be doing anything about this? It obscures their advertising which can’t be good for them. I’m not PC talented in any way so won’t be messing with what I don't understand. Seems daft to have ignored it for so long.

Ah! I thought it was weird when I kept seeing this on the launcher.......yet I wasn't all that concerned, as Im only seeing that launcher for a few seconds before launching the game.
It's not that there's much on it of interest these days;)

Will FD be doing anything about this? It obscures their advertising which can’t be good for them. I’m not PC talented in any way so won’t be messing with what I don't understand. Seems daft to have ignored it for so long.

The problem only started for me with the FC update. Been fine the other 6 years :) "For So Long" is not relevent in my case.

The change is fairly easy to do, noted in the forums, and multiple tickets in the bug tracker with resolution.

Whilst I hope a future installer correctly marks the launcher exe during install, it will need a new launcher to fix. I cannor see the point of forcing everyone to download a new launcher just for this, given the fix is well documented and easy to administer. I'd rather they focussed on more pressing issues to be honest.

Thanks

Simonn

Looks like you are employing a multitude of monitors

"This issue has become more prevalent since the introduction of 4k and higher resolution monitors, especially when these monitors are mixed together with older, standard monitors."
Looks like good old Microsoft. Did you look at how to check the problem? Either way, this is NOT just an FD issue. windows 10 has a problem with many of the open source software I use on my setup. And I really like that Microsoft feels like it is for us to fix. Windows 10 is nothing but a tablet OS ported over to PC, and that's why they gave it away for free!

Thanks folks, will do this fix later, cheers!

There is alot of confusion here from people saying its difficult.

Elite Dangerous is by no means whatsoever Difficult, time consuming yes, and the more time you spend vegetated mining LTD on borann or sat in CZ with heal beams on your team mate and turrets grinding combat rank for you the more "progress" you make in the game via rank or credits.

if rank and credits were earn't by skill the wealth / rank tables would be completely different
The problem only started for me with the FC update. Been fine the other 6 years :) "For So Long" is not relevent in my case.

The change is fairly easy to do, noted in the forums, and multiple tickets in the bug tracker with resolution.

Whilst I hope a future installer correctly marks the launcher exe during install, it will need a new launcher to fix. I cannor see the point of forcing everyone to download a new launcher just for this, given the fix is well documented and easy to administer. I'd rather they focussed on more pressing issues to be honest.

Thanks

Simonn

Just so you know, I was having issues getting this fix to work properly for me. If you are having any issues with it, or if it messes up your screen in the actual game itself, this is what fixed the problem for me when implementing the OPs fix. It may depend on how you originally installed Elite.

Before taking the listed steps click on the "Change settings for all Users" button. It will bring up the same settings dialog, but will apply to all users on the system. Even though I'm the ONLY user on my PC, I must have installed Elite in such a way that it requires this setting for the listed fix to work right.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 215952.jpg

Another option, discovered after following the guide above ...

Find EDLaunch.exe (typically at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous )
Right click and go to properties (as before)
Click Compatibility
Click Run Compatibility Troubleshooter
Click Try Recommended Settings
Let things run through, accepting MS's suggestions.

Why did I try this? Somehow Steam's Big Picture Overlay was enabled by the process above.
That can be disabled through BPO's settings > Features > ...

Top Bottom