Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Funny how the faithful say "you don't debug until close to release" yet have no problem with "assets with more poly and logical components" than whole Skyrim being done upfront without any clue beforehand if the engine and the network can gobble up and spit out from few hundreds of them in few seconds.

Sometimes I reall wonder what the faithful's idea of a normal development schedule really is. As far as I can tell, it goes something like...
  1. Art and polish
  2. Testing
  3. Balancing
  4. Art and polish
  5. Detail development
  6. Game design
  7. Core functionality
  8. Feature integration (VR, MMO:ness, economy)
  9. Debugging
In that order.

Sometimes I reall wonder what the faithful's idea of a normal development schedule really is. As far as I can tell, it goes something like...

FTFY
  1. Art and polish
  2. P2W Asset sales
  3. Mo-cap and music
  4. Testing
  5. Land sales
  6. Balancing
  7. Art and polish
  8. Referal and subscription schemes
  9. Mo-cap
  10. Detail development
  11. Game design
  12. Bartender AI
  13. Bartender AI
  14. Bartender AI
  15. Bartender AI
  16. Mo-cap
  17. Core functionality
  18. Feature integration (VR, MMO:ness, economy)
  19. Debugging
  20. Mo-cap

1. Art and polish
  2. Testing
  3. Balancing
  4. Art and polish
  5. Detail development
  6. Game design
  7. Core functionality
  8. Feature integration (VR, MMO:ness, economy)
  9. Debugging
In that order.
FTFY
  1. Art and polish
  2. P2W Asset sales
  3. Mo-cap and music
  4. Testing
  5. Land sales
  6. Balancing
  7. Art and polish
  8. Referal and subscription schemes
  9. Mo-cap
  10. Detail development
  11. Game design
  12. Bartender AI
  13. Bartender AI
  14. Bartender AI
  15. Bartender AI
  16. Mo-cap
  17. Core functionality
  18. Feature integration (VR, MMO:ness, economy)
  19. Debugging
  20. Mo-cap
You both forgot about developing a roadmap for the roadmap towards the end* of development.

* And yes, I'm being wildly optimistic that Star Citizen/Squadron 42 is nearing the end of its development. I'm sure backers will continue to throw good money after bad for years to come.

You both forgot about developing a roadmap for the roadmap towards the end* of development.

* And yes, I'm being wildly optimistic that Star Citizen/Squadron 42 is nearing the end of its development. I'm sure backers will continue to throw good money after bad for years to come.

yeah, we also forgot "network stuff", "server meshing" right at the end between some mocap sessions

True, but then again, network stuff really can't happen before mocap is done and vice versa. And the concept sale for meshed cloud roadmap culling will start in the middle to resolve the issue.

True, but then again, network stuff really can't happen before mocap is done and vice versa. And the concept sale for meshed cloud roadmap culling will start in the middle to resolve the issue.

None of this can happen until they have built a company, you can't rush big games. The first eight years were mostly building a company. Next Chris takes a long deserved "vacation", rises from the dead and development can really begin in earnist.

No explosions heard. No thruster sounds. As far as i could tell, on my first run, no other players anywhere near.

Also, explosions, audio, fine, that shouldn't kill FPS. If it does, then again, we are back to underlying problems with the engine (which i hope you agree with) that Vulkan by itself isn't going solve.

Again, even if those things are affecting my performance (eg, running around, performing actions), why would it affect the framerate showing a more or less static image on my screen?
Well, SC doesnt know what it is and probably hasnt an intelligent way of degermining what can be left out and what better be ready once you crash through that doorway with full auto fire.
Distance could be a factor, but that's just me.

Played Satisfactory lately. Early Access (is a bit like "it alpha!") - wery pretty visuals. Runs well. But I hear with enough belts you can make the machine tank.
Even that game culls objects and it's buta fracion of a "verse". I think it's basic craft. Considering spawn-in methods - it doesnt really look so great when object suddenly pop in. Kinda OK in outsides since the detail is minor footnote among others - but in FPS range it really sucks.

Last edited:
Well, SC doesnt know what it is and probably hasnt an intelligent way of degermining what can be left out and what better be ready once you crash through that doorway with full auto fire.
Distance could be a factor, but that's just me.
If only they had some kind of layered or staged interest-management functionality where a player in one specific "box" could trivially be determined to only need to be updated about other "things" in the same "box", and also have "things" that belong in an outer "box" layer be continuously loaded in as needed as the player moved between the different "box" layers.

They could call it "thing-box continuous-loading" or something.

If only they had some kind of layered or staged interest-management functionality where a player in one specific "box" could trivially be determined to only need to be updated about other "things" in the same "box", and also have "things" that belong in an outer "box" layer be continuously loaded in as needed as the player moved between the different "box" layers.

They could call it "thing-box continuous-loading" or something.
Well, don't tell them - I have a feeling they like to find it all out by themselves.

About why SC have to load assets in high quality in a huge radius around a player long before they appear to that player. The scene is on a moon but you can do the same in a space port.

About the viewing distance of SC and the radius of asset loading, two screenshots (the first one is just to explain what the second is showing) :
One of the competitor of the Daymar rally with its support ship from close view
37twduvy60d41.jpg

The rally seen by a player from space. The small cones of lights are competitors, even the small bunch of pixels far away. All thoses ships assets can be zoomed in real time with a snipe gun.
FiEHwo20E6HcMcrO6jhVq7C3BKNd_b4oyVq6ZEmEbLU.jpg

The rally seen by a player from space. The small cones of lights are competitors, even the small bunch of pixels far away. All thoses ships assets can be zoomed in real time with a snipe gun.
Fun fact: none of that should require any asset loading and processing that would massively affect frame rate.

Well, unless the purpose is to show off how pathetically tiny the SC world space is...

About why SC have to load assets in high quality in a huge radius around a player long before they appear to that player. The scene is on a moon but you can do the same in a space port.

About the viewing distance of SC and the radius of asset loading, two screenshots (the first one is just to explain what the second is showing) :
One of the competitor of the Daymar rally with its support ship from close view
There is a difference between loading the game objects and streaming in the meshes/textures though. Even if the entity is loaded, there's an entirely separate streaming system (as with most modern engines) that will load up the meshes and textures asynchronously, aiming for whatever LOD is likely to be visible in the near future. The existence of sniper scopes is an endless source of pain, obviously.
Loading that stuff shouldn't affect frame rate though, as Tippis says. The driver has a separate transfer pipeline that's independent from render/compute.

SC compensate with virtual memory. On a 8GB system, the main part of the memory used by SC is in the pagefile. That's why it's unplayable on HDD for low memory system.
I don't think I've had paging enabled since getting 32GB, I rarely push over 28 in use at any one time. That's gonna be slow as hell though on a mechanical drive.

I don't think I've had paging enabled since getting 32GB, I rarely push over 28 in use at any one time. That's gonna be slow as hell though on a mechanical drive.
Yep, had it with my last computer. 8 GB RAM, too, and it showed more and more bottleneck signs. I tried the Anthem demo on it and it was a slideshow. And it wasn't the only game showing such problems.

Yep, had it with my last computer. 8 GB RAM, too, and it showed more and more bottleneck signs. I tried the Anthem demo on it and it was a slideshow. And it wasn't the only game showing such problems.
Of course, sooner or later, as requirements keep getting pushed, we might see a similar bottleneck begin to show up with certain kinds of SSD we're starting to see coming to market :D It's amusing that the same hybrid technology which was used to speed up access to regularly used data on hard drives a few years back (I use an array of several 2TB 7200RPM SSHDs on my XBox, swear by them for a mix of speed, capacity, and affordability) is now being used on the newest generation of high-capacity SSDs, as QLC technology significantly decreases the access speed, and so some designs are including a cache of traditional SLC memory working on those same principles.

Top Bottom