Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Of course, sooner or later, as requirements keep getting pushed, we might see a similar bottleneck begin to show up with certain kinds of SSD we're starting to see coming to market :D

One ancient technology I like to keep around are the HyperDuo hybrid SSD/HDD controllers. Just bang on a big juicy HDD and a bog standard SSD and it caches all the hot stuff automatically. Sure - it isn't going to win any benchmarks these days, but it's the best storage I've ever found for my "Steam games I never play" library.

One ancient technology I like to keep around are the HyperDuo hybrid SSD/HDD controllers. Just bang on a big juicy HDD and a bog standard SSD and it caches all the hot stuff automatically. Sure - it isn't going to win any benchmarks these days, but it's the best storage I've ever found for my "Steam games I never play" library.
I've still got an old(er) 2TB Samsung hybrid that I chuck all the older games, Steam library stuff that I don't play much and those that don't benefit from an SSD much...strangely, the Witcher 3 being one of them. I fired it onto one of the games NVME's and it consistently bombed...stuck it back on the hybrid and it's stable...very weird.

Yeah - the hybrid drives were useful and improved things quite a bit on some platforms. I remember upgrading our PS4's with 1Tb hybrids that made the UI much more fluid, and "game of the week" loaded just that teeny bit faster.

Unfortunately, the 8Gb of flash just wasn't enough to make them truly great for PC gaming. The benefit of the hybrid cards though - is you've got like 6Tb storage and 500Gb flash that "game of the week" can totally swamp it's (these days very limited) bus on reads. Writes are still at HDD speeds though.

None of that benefits Star Citizen though. Not much does :D

What about those Optane drives CI then with a G promoted. Have all you backers got one? I thought as much you unbelievers!

Also comes with a free jpeg...https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane

Add the Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drive (SSD) 900P to your performance gaming system and experience the next level of immersion with Star Citizen. Accelerated load times mean less waiting and more time for exploring the beautifully detailed, ever-expanding universe.

Edit: I love the last line...

If you return the purchased SSD, the Sabre Raven will be deleted from your account.

Last edited:
About why SC have to load assets in high quality in a huge radius around a player long before they appear to that player. The scene is on a moon but you can do the same in a space port.

About the viewing distance of SC and the radius of asset loading, two screenshots (the first one is just to explain what the second is showing) :
One of the competitor of the Daymar rally with its support ship from close view
37twduvy60d41.jpg

The rally seen by a player from space. The small cones of lights are competitors, even the small bunch of pixels far away. All thoses ships assets can be zoomed in real time with a snipe gun.
FiEHwo20E6HcMcrO6jhVq7C3BKNd_b4oyVq6ZEmEbLU.jpg

Now, if only there were other games that had to load assets over long distances but somehow didn't (alledgedly) be responsible for tanking framerates....

Loading that stuff shouldn't affect frame rate though, as Tippis says. The driver has a separate transfer pipeline that's independent from render/compute.
I have noted quite important framerate drops whenever the engine loads new stuff that comes into my view for the first time. I guess it cannot be avoided to a degree, but my hunch is it loads way too much data for something that might not even be rendered at high LOD ? What of player characters inside ships, and all of their physical inventories, and objects dropped on ship floors, that come into view...
I suspect it's what's holding back bigger ships like Hull series and Idris etc. as they'll load up a metric ton of assets into the engine when they appear. Hull C+ at full load will be real fun with the physics engine whenever some pirate or ganker decides to blow up the container section...

I have noted quite important framerate drops whenever the engine loads new stuff that comes into my view for the first time. I guess it cannot be avoided to a degree, but my hunch is it loads way too much data for something that might not even be rendered at high LOD ? What of player characters inside ships, and all of their physical inventories, and objects dropped on ship floors, that come into view...
I suspect it's what's holding back bigger ships like Hull series and Idris etc. as they'll load up a metric ton of assets into the engine when they appear. Hull C+ at full load will be real fun with the physics engine whenever some pirate or ganker decides to blow up the container section...
The server lag was so bad today it made mining and simple tasks like eating or drinking a complete chore. The game took nearly a minute to register that I had pressed the helmet off button...then clicking on stuff in my inventory and selecting eat/drink made each selection vanish without the eating/drinking animation firing up...

My inventory dried up before I managed to eat or drink anything forcing me to abandon what I was doing to fly off to a station with a shop and suffer the purgatory of buying each individual item over and over and over...and over again waiting 30 seconds each time for the game to register I had pressed the purchase button before the canned animation kicked in. Farcically ridiculous, utterly pointless and fun-suckingly unplayable.

Right now...I'd rather shove live wasps up my bum than go back in there and suffer it.

Mining...I sat in front of a rock for nearly 2 minutes before the rock scanner registered it so I could actually mine the damned thing...same when the server caught up and I managed to mine the rock...2 minutes for it to physically break up after the fracture meter had reached 100%... then the rock fragments proceeded to vibrate so rapidly it almost made my eyeballs bleed.

I gave up and went back to IL2.

Last edited:
Perhaps its time for CIG to get a new CM...

@Zyloh-CIG@Zyloh-CIG
Today at 17:53

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...h-cig-how-did-the-thursday-meeting-go/3279757
Hey there @Renegade-Raisin,

I'm currently focused on the roadmap for the roadmap for the roadmap for the... I'm kidding.  

It actually went great. Everyone was pretty thrilled with the updated approach. As I've mentioned in the past, this update to the Roadmap will change how both the Squadron 42 roadmap and the Star Citizen roadmap are visualized, and we're genuinely excited to share it. I've got a couple of questions I'm waiting to get some answers to, and once I do I plan to get a post up that both explains the new visualization and shows it off.

I don't think he quite understands how stupid it sounded to start with, and making a joke about it as well is probably not the best approach.

Perhaps its time for CIG to get a new CM...

I don't think he quite understands how stupid it sounded to start with, and making a joke about it as well is probably not the best approach.
I'm sure that living in a self sucking vacuum as they do over there in Ci¬G land, they don't quite realise that their recent patronising faux pas is now the focus of some considerable media attention outside of it. When the inevitable news of Sqn 42's further lengthy delays beyond the much advertised Q3 beta window filters through, they'll be pilloried by the same media sources they drew the unintentional, unwanted and uninvited attention from. ;)

I was banished again for daring to suggest that it was blatantly obvious they were nowhere near beta with Sqn 42...simply because they're not crowing about it on every rag-tag publication that still have the blessed ignorance or naivete to listen to them....I think I'll just stay banished, it'll save the mods the effort of constantly showing me the door :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Top Bottom