ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
On a brighter note, while I have been a vociferous opponent of FDev on this forum since they dropped the no-VR bombshell, I'd like to say I agree with @Davanix

I Genuinely believe @Arthur Tolmie is trying, but his efforts are being frustrated by the "powers that be". As such, I'd like to reiterate my thanks for him at least trying to get us the info we crave, specifically VR related stuff. I'd also like to clarify that there is a world of difference between being belligerent about the message, and beligerence towards the messenger, "don't shoot the messenger" etc.

'Arf tried to get us some info / clarification - we appreciate that.
'FDev denies 'Arf's request & maintains radio silence - we resent that.
Totally second these comments @Arthur Tolmie is a breath of fresh air but I can’t help feeling that he too has run into a wall of silence. He certainly tried on VR but eventually came up with little new news. Not his fault in any way.

I’ve now stopped watching streams etc as well as playing as they really do not address any issues but try to fluff their way through avoiding the real questions the community ask or want answered. Again not the CMs fault but the companies toxic handling of its player base.

Frontier has hinted that something will be released sometime next week. Whether that is the actual Dev Diary or just another announcement of the actual Dev Diary is anyone's guess. But some information is supposedly coming our way sometime next week. Maybe. Soon?
I'm not holding my breath waiting...

Frontier has hinted that something will be released sometime next week. Whether that is the actual Dev Diary or just another announcement of the actual Dev Diary is anyone's guess. But some information is supposedly coming our way sometime next week. Maybe. Soon?

A fully detailed description of the entire expansion was sent on the newsletter, but as nobody reads it anymore since it became just spam paintjob advertising a few years ago, we're all still here waiting for the news and the devs wondering about whatever else are we still waiting for :D

A fully detailed description of the entire expansion was sent on the newsletter
No it wasn't: Elite Dangerous Newsletter 297

....and the dash will still be orange?
Ay, there's the rub! That dash says it all. How long would it take to program a proper colour editor that lets you customize HUD elements individually? A day? But you know it will never happen. That carrot-vomit dash is forever. Like all the other QOL niggles.

Similarly, that trailer will have pushed the boat out to make whatever meagre content FD are planning to add look as sexy as possible. But you know that trailer is everything that might be in Odyssey.

The player community needs to understand that FD are not interested in producing a great game, they're only interested in players' money and getting it out of them as cheaply as possible, so that they can concentrate their resources on other money-making games to get money out of other player bases.

You also need to understand that the Community Managers are not kind helpful people who care about the game and about the player community. Their job is to cover the fact that FD never release any real details of their updates until they already have everybody's money, by which time FD are obliged to deliver only minimal content. That is the only purpose and the only result of the CMs' apparent understanding and helpfulness, and indeed of the crawling sycophancy of their stooge community fanbois. This is what they don't want you to know.

Odyssey Gamma is probably already complete and ready to go and took about a fortnight to program, and the devs are being flogged to work on some other game now. But FD still have to sell Odyssey. The longer the CMs can keep players in suspense about an update like Odyssey, the more players' wild expectations of the long work that is apparently going into the update will sell it. Only once FD has everybody's money, can it safely emerge that the update is mediocre and far short of expectation. By which time I guarantee the CMs will fall curiously silent, their job done.

I don't enjoy bursting people's bubbles. But as a Founder Member of the Elite I already paid FD for everything years ago, and they know they don't have to deliver any of it because they already have my money, and there's nothing I can do about it but warn people who have yet to part with their money.

Don't buy this update. At least not until it's released and you're still happy to pay for it. If you've already paid for it, don't expect anything from it. It's enough that FD have your money, don't let them have your hopes as well.

The player community needs to understand that FD are not interested in producing a great game, they're only interested in players' money and getting it out of them as cheaply as possible, so that they can concentrate their resources on other money-making games to get money out of other player bases.

You also need to understand that the Community Managers are not kind helpful people who care about the game and about the player community. Their job is to cover the fact that FD never release any real details of their updates until they already have everybody's money, by which time FD are obliged to deliver only minimal content. That is the only purpose and the only result of the CMs' apparent understanding and helpfulness, and indeed of the crawling sycophancy of their stooge community fanbois. This is what they don't want you to know.

It's always funny to see people assume otherwise. Being a CM is a really low level and low grade job - that's why they rotate on a yearly basis. And just like with most jobs - their primary goal is to make sure that the company makes money. That's all they ever do. Everything else is pure PR garbage.

Totally second these comments @Arthur Tolmie is a breath of fresh air but I can’t help feeling that he too has run into a wall of silence. He certainly tried on VR but eventually came up with little new news. Not his fault in any way.

I’ve now stopped watching streams etc as well as playing as they really do not address any issues but try to fluff their way through avoiding the real questions the community ask or want answered. Again not the CMs fault but the companies toxic handling of its player base.

Yeah, the streams are mostly super cringe. They mostly show how FDev employees don't understand the product they are supposed to be showcasing.
And it always "non-answers" if they touch on anything.

Last edited:
You just made a lot of enemies on the forum. :p

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
I already have a lot of enemies on this forum, and none of them are of any consequence. Privileged nerds gaping in wonder underneath their VR headsets as they struggle in vain to find the way out of their basements are still less of a challenge. :p

vr.jpg

I already have a lot of enemies on this forum, and none of them are of any consequence. Privileged nerds gaping in wonder underneath their VR headsets as they struggle in vain to find the way out of their basements are still less of a challenge. :p

View attachment 183738
First and foremost, that's gear VR, so not really a true VR headset, but a mobile 💩.

Secondly there are skilled players like @Katie Byrne and her husband who make your whole "opinion" laughable, but I can understand that ignorance is bliss for the VR uneducated like you. I mean some people also said that cows will lose milk if you build railroads in the wild west. There's always a speshial one who dislikes progress.

Thirdly you making a lot of enemies is just because you're in constant breach of Wheaton's law. And your "opinion" is of no consequence either. My condolences if it's hereditary.

Fourthly, get out of your parents' basement and get a job, because if you consider something in the $200-$400 range privileged, there's something completely wrong with your earning potential.

Last edited:

View attachment 183738
Bad boy ! :D

For my part, I will not be able to put on a helmet like that for hours.

However if one day, the VR have the size of eyeglasses, then yes.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom