Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 1 - One Giant Leap

That's a really interesting article in terms of the first person stuff.

In Odyssey, though, you get to go one step down in terms of how granular the galaxy is. Suddenly all of the planets have a lot more activity, they've got a lot more people on them, various industrial settlements that are actually doing stuff. For me, it's the idea of being able to, as a player, go to those locations and interact with them and have that kind of more personal experience with the various people that are in the galaxy that otherwise have previously been just faces on boards or, you know, fairly distant inbox messages and that sort of thing. Now they'll actually be there doing stuff. It's gonna feel really good.

Would you say it's more like a fast, arcade-style type or shooter or more akin to a slower-paced, tactical one?

Luke Betterton:
It can kind of do both. Playing it recently, it's very much up to you as the player if you want to be slow, tactical, methodical, maybe even silent. If you're very, very good, you can do that. You can wage war on a settlement with human mates, that's very like a surgical strike kind of feeling or you can if you're strong enough go in guns blazing. That might not work in a more well-defended area, but it's very much up to you. It's never going to feel truly arcadey as we're grounded in sort of a sci-fi, scientifically-based reality so we're still going to keep that sensation going.

You can be this faction foot soldier and take missions to destroy target settlements, or rather not destroy them but get rid of the people that own those settlements so that you can move in and take them over. But also, if you run into another player, if they're against you you either have to back out or you've got to defend yourself.

Immersive ganking.

A few ... interesting answers:

Will 'FPS content' also include player ships, megaships, capital ships, and stations? What about boarding other ships and stealing them?
Luke Betterton:
Our first development diary is focussed on planetary exploration and discovery, while I’m not able to share full details on this just yet I can say that players will be able to explore a variety of locations on foot. We look forward to sharing more about combat and player interactions over the coming months.

Will there be additional SRVs or fighters in Odyssey? What about new ships or reworks for older ones?
Luke Betterton:
There are plenty of ways to get around in Odyssey and we look forward to sharing more over the coming months.

Luke Betterton: Elite is obviously a very nice VR game. You sit in the cockpit, and you're in front of the stars. It lends itself perfectly to VR. I'm really glad that we did add VR support because it's pretty awesome, it is quite an experience. Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now.

I guess this is the closest anyone from FD has come to confirming they still have some plans for VR in Odyssey.

Luke Betterton: Elite is obviously a very nice VR game. You sit in the cockpit, and you're in front of the stars. It lends itself perfectly to VR. I'm really glad that we did add VR support because it's pretty awesome, it is quite an experience. Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now.
Looks like someone using a lot of words and not really saying anything at all.

Yep, it might cost you less than buying all the separate DLC on release day. It might cost you more. Depends on how DLC numbers and pricing points pan out. The only certainty of it is the convenience of not making more purchases.

It'll definitely cost you more than waiting for the complete collection, which I think some people confuse LEP's with.
It's also a gamble on whether you will enjoy or don't enjoy the update too

It's also a gamble on whether you will enjoy or like the update too

True, one of the reasons I don't buy LEP's.

As a general rule of thumb if you like the base game you'll like the expansions, the opposite also applies obviously.

I've found its an accurate enough indicator for me of what DLC is and isn't worth getting. That's from the perspective of already owning the base game though.

So I'll be fine with Odyssey.

You can be this faction foot soldier and take missions to destroy target settlements, or rather not destroy them but get rid of the people that own those settlements so that you can move in and take them over. But also, if you run into another player, if they're against you you either have to back out or you've got to defend yourself.

What about non-violent, peaceful negotiations? It shouldn't only be pew pew.

There are plenty of ways to get around in Odyssey and we look forward to sharing more over the coming months.

Maybe a hint for new vehicles.

Would you say that Odyssey could be able to lure in even those gamers who aren't too fond of flight simulator games? How viable is it going to be for newcomers to focus on 'FPS content'?

Luke Betterton:
One of the core principals of Elite Dangerous is based upon the freedom to choose your own path and experience our galaxy with as few restrictions as possible. In this spirit, new players will be able to choose to take their first steps on the ground or start their career as the pilot of a starship.

This is an interesting turn I hadn't really considered, although the "taxi booth" in the concept art I suppose does hint at it...

It seems it will be possible for us to exist, traverse and interact with the galaxy at some level without even owning a ship at all.

This is an interesting turn I hadn't really considered, although the "taxi booth" in the concept art I suppose does hint at it...

It seems it will be possible for us to exist, traverse and interact with the galaxy at some level without even owning a ship at all.
I had that same thought yesterday, the taxi booth. I was thinking more in terms of moving (quickly, almost instantly?) between the social hubs in different locations.

LEP's are always a gamble.

I have to agree with you on this one.
I once pre-ordered a game and it turned out to be bug ridden and abandoned by the devs before fixing it.
Last time I pre-ordered something, never again.
It's always wise to view a couple youtubes when dealing with a new game or expansion, I rather pay a couple Euros more knowing that I'll like what I buy.

So is this going to be just another grindy LEP bashing thread now?

Pre-paying isn't gambling, it's pre-paying. If the company changes their minds the money is still there, they can just return it. They won't want to of course, but it's not a lottery ticket :)

This has been discussed before, a lot.

Last edited:

Pre-paying isn't gambling, it's pre-paying. If the company changes their minds the money is still there, they can just return it. They won't want to of course, but it's not a lottery ticket :)

Naah no lep bashing from me.
I probably would've bought a lep too if it was available on Xbox, I did buy it at the start from the GPP though and I also pre-ordered Horizons.
There's always a certain amount of risk though when pre-ordering a new game.
I just won't pre-order another game again, doesn't mean I won't buy certain games on day one though.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is soon to be released on Xbox, a definite day one buy for me, although I did see quite some youtubes from the pc version so I know what to expect.
It also depends per game I guess, or per developer.
I like the Starpoint Gemini games and it's made by a very player friendly and dedicated developer however their next itteration will be a complete different game and I won't pre-order it, I first need to see the finished product and how well it does.

Nobodies bashing LEP's. Some people have just tried to clarify what they actually are.

People pre-pay for an unknown quantity of DLC over an unknown timeline, the gamble is in the quantity and timeline which are both unknowns.

Top Bottom