Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 1 - One Giant Leap

What about non-violent, peaceful negotiations? It shouldn't only be pew pew.

This is a pew pew game, always has been. Peaceful negotiations in a shooter game? Hope it never happens and i'll uninstall the game if it does. Next you'll be telling me that slavery should be outlawed in game (oh not that old chestnut). Focus on the fact it's a game and not real life. I like to let off steam after a hard day at work, not negotiate myself out of a situation. If i wanted to negotiate, i'd go buy a secondhand car

This is an interesting turn I hadn't really considered, although the "taxi booth" in the concept art I suppose does hint at it...

It seems it will be possible for us to exist, traverse and interact with the galaxy at some level without even owning a ship at all.
Thanks for posting that snippet, I’d completely missed the info about starting sans ship.

I remember reading an interview a long time ago about failed concepts for an Elite sequel, not sure if it was for Elite 2 or Elite 4, but one of the ideas floated was that you’d start out without a ship and work your way to being able to afford one - I wonder if this is going to be a realisation of that concept?

This is a pew pew game, always has been. Peaceful negotiations in a shooter game? Hope it never happens and i'll uninstall the game if it does. Next you'll be telling me that slavery should be outlawed in game (oh not that old chestnut). Focus on the fact it's a game and not real life. I like to let off steam after a hard day at work, not negotiate myself out of a situation. If i wanted to negotiate, i'd go buy a secondhand car

It can have both. For example Deus Ex. It would add more depth by letting players choose between combat or negotiate with a few dialogue options to solve a mission.

Thanks for posting that snippet, I’d completely missed the info about starting sans ship.

I remember reading an interview a long time ago about failed concepts for an Elite sequel, not sure if it was for Elite 2 or Elite 4, but one of the ideas floated was that you’d start out without a ship and work your way to being able to afford one - I wonder if this is going to be a realisation of that concept?

Without the "able to afford" part I guess. An assault rifle will probably cost way more than a Sidewinder. ;)

Well i am dissapointed that i cant walk inside my ship or in a starport but man the planets are looking good. Just wow and i am still happy we get some kind of space legs. I cant wait.

This is just the first dev diary. There is still lots of info coming. I am curious what kind of fps we are getting. Maybe thargs in flesh?

They're definitely missing a trick (or more) in not having legs inside your ship/carrier and stations. It would be really nifty if you could walk around stations with other people/NPC's mooching about/working and also be able to walk to and board your ship. So much could be done... ah well.

(Mind you, they also missed a trick in your not being able to see you hyperspace jump in your carrier).

Last edited:
Since I'm too lazy to read 400 pages of forum threads, pardon if this has already been asked. Will Elite Odyssey work for stand alone users? I'm an original backer and I never made the switch to running Elite on steam.

Since I'm too lazy to read 400 pages of forum threads, pardon if this has already been asked. Will Elite Odyssey work for stand alone users? I'm an original backer and I never made the switch to running Elite on steam.
The assumption is that it will not be restricted to steam users.

ETA for clarification:

Odyssey has been stated to be included as part of the Lifetime Pass entitlement, and that is not exclusive to steam so there is every reason to believe it will not be exclusive to Steam.

I think the confusion over Steam only comes from the option to add it to your wishlist.

Last edited:
Exactly. Or how to invest your money on the stock exchange. Normally I stay away from gambling - but Elite always had a special place in my heart. It simply could not fail... 🤩
Regarding Bitcoin, I wanted to say that there are crooks who create fake sites very well done, and make you believe in profitable investments

After exchanging phones, they encourage you to invest more and more and make believe that your investments make you earn a lot of interest.

Then when you ask to receive the money, they disappear.

A lot of people get caught. I read up to 24,000 euros for some.

Of course I wasn’t thinking about Frontier, I had just read the article about Bitcoin in the press and I thought about risk taking. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Last edited:
FD ... the NMS people worked a lot and managed to improve the game a lot ... you should develop a similar galaxy with those types of missions ... no matter if somewhat repetitive ... but a galaxy populated by different beings ... now if you want players to give up .... continue on this path.

Regarding Bitcoin, I wanted to say that there are crooks who create fake sites very well done, and make you believe in profitable investments

After exchanging phones, they encourage you to invest more and more and make believe that your investments make you earn a lot of interest.

Then when you ask to receive the money, they disappear.

A lot of people get caught. I read up to 24,000 euros for some.

Of course I wasn’t thinking about Frontier, I had just read the article about Bitcoin in the press and I thought about risk taking. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Bitcoin was lucrative in the beginning, the risk is way to high nowadays.
I've been investing in shares for a couple years now and when you do your research there's not that much risk involved, you'll just have to be a bit more patience.
The stock market has made me quite the profit over the years.
Never invest money that you need though.

Top Bottom