Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | The Road To Odyssey Part 1 - One Giant Leap

They haven't dropped the ball at all. You guys are just in denial about the work required to make a good VR game. You can't just put stereoscopic rendering on top of a 2D game and call it a day.
I image a fair bit of extra work was required to bring feet to Elite even for us pancake folks on Windows, and more for Xbox and more for PlayStation. If Frontier didn't project manage enough time for VR users that is on Frontier and nobody else.

If Frontier didn't project manage enough time for VR users that is on Frontier and nobody else.
The whole point of project management is to prioritize what needs to be done first and what can be done later. The alternative to an initial release without VR is a full release that is delayed. I can see why they chose the first option; why can't you?

The extra work they're putting into the VR parts doesn't benefit me at all. It's the VR players that require the special treatment here. Consider yourself lucky I'll be paying for it by buying the DLC that you guys are preparing to boycott. You can thank me later. ;)
And you accuse VR players of being selfish?
As has been said many times before Elite has been marketed from the beginning as a game built from the ground up for VR, and yet now they are trhowing that away. The main cause for nausea in VR is a poor frame rate, so VR players will probably be among the first to adopt the new 3080 and 3090 graphics cards to keep those frame rates up. At the end of the day we should be given the choice. No-one is forced to play in VR if it makes them queasy, but the solution to that is not to force everyone to play in pancake mode.

Many other software houses have "solved" the problem of FPS in VR, what is so difficult for a company that prided itself on being built for VR?

I take it you’ve never taken the SRV for a fly/drive in VR or the SLF for a (quite literal) spin? I think Mad Mike is not alone when it comes to playing VR games and not suffering nausea 🤷‍♂️

Is it possible for EVA in VR to be worse? I’ve used Elite’s camera suite to do pseudo-space walks quite often in VR, and it uses standard FPS controls on my Xbox pad. I’ve also played plenty of NMS, Adr1ft, Lone Echo - plus plenty of VR FPS games - and never got the sickies. Do you think FPS VR is an insurmountable problem for Elite?
The SRV is by far one of my favourite things about Elite in VR, it's amazing.

The SRV is by far one of my favourite things about Elite in VR, it's amazing.
IMO the SRV is one of (a good number) of things which FD nailed perfectly . It feels just right hammering it along a planet, I love how it feels different in different gravity and you can get a good amount of control..
For VR I personally chose to lock the horizon.... But it's great that it isn't forced.

I image a fair bit of extra work was required to bring feet to Elite even for us pancake folks on Windows, and more for Xbox and more for PlayStation. If Frontier didn't project manage enough time for VR users that is on Frontier and nobody else.

Its always super easy to make gross oversimplifications when you don't have first-hand knowledge of the project.

I'm a VR player, so I know how amazing VR in Elite is. I do. (And I do play FPS games in VR, I played through HL Alyx multiple times)

Still, the VR part of the Elite playerbase is tiny. You have to accept that. Heck, the number of VR players IS tiny compared to the whole market as VR is expensive.

Plus, to implement VR properly, you have to implement a lot of movement options to allow as many people to play as possible. Many of those options are incompatible with balanced multiplayer or don't mix well with non-VR players.

So with all that in mind, Frontier decided to plan for a release of Odyssey without VR rather than delaying it, while they figure out how they can do VR properly in a future update.

I don't see what's tough to understand there, and I don't see how the lack of VR for Odyssey will stop you from playing it on a screen like 99% of the players until VR is a go on Odyssey as well.

Angry, entitled, selfish and toxic comments won't change their decision, so maybe there's no need to do 50 pages of that in these forums.

Its always super easy to make gross oversimplifications when you don't have first-hand knowledge of the project.
And it's always easy to deflect any criticism by claiming that Frontier don't have control of their own project. If VR is not in Odyssey at launch, it is because (for whastever factors are involved) Frontier have decided it is so.

And it's always easy to deflect any criticism by claiming that Frontier don't have control of their own project. If VR is not in Odyssey at launch, it is because (for whastever factors are involved) Frontier have decided it is so.

I was simply pointing out your assumptions about allowing sufficient time in the project for implementation VR may be totally off. You could well be barking up the wrong tree.

Nobody is deflecting. What I`m doing is calling out when people make bold statements they cant possibly know are true.

Last edited:
If VR is not in Odyssey at launch, it is because (for whastever factors are involved) Frontier have decided it is so.

Its more likely that they have boxed themselves into a corner with the design, and the only way out is to drop VR. I think the most plausible explanation is that jetpacks were added because the new terrain is too rugged to traverse on foot alone, and the consequence of adding jetpacks is that VR is a vomit-inducing mess.

Or of course, you can go down the well-trodden route and say Frontier are lazy and incompetent.....

Its more likely that they have boxed themselves into a corner with the design, and the only way out is to drop VR. I think the most plausible explanation is that jetpacks were added because the new terrain is too rugged to traverse on foot alone, and the consequence of adding jetpacks is that VR is a vomit-inducing mess.

Or of course, you can go down the well-trodden route and say Frontier are lazy and incompetent.....
Rude post and wrong.

FD said the experience walking around is hard to do right, free motion will make most players sick, and teleporting around in ED makes no sense and breaks FPS norms. And VR is still in, FD took community request to at least put in a projected screen for the on foot bits.

Having said that, a valid point is that FD could just make on-foot play in VR an option for those that don't get sick easily in VR. This was the decision Serious Sam took, and it works for some players (and not others).

Don't know what the jet-pack comment is about, as there are many on-foot maneuvers and motions that will take place in EDO even without a jetpack, that would make a lot of VR players sick.

Rude post and wrong.

FD said the experience walking around is hard to do right, free motion will make most players sick, and teleporting around in ED makes no sense and breaks FPS norms. And VR is still in, FD took community request to at least put in a projected screen for the on foot bits.

Having said that, a valid point is that FD could just make on-foot play in VR an option for those that don't get sick easily in VR. This was the decision Serious Sam took, and it works for some players (and not others).

Don't know what the jet-pack comment is about, as there are many on-foot maneuvers and motions that will take place in EDO even without a jetpack, that would make a lot of VR players sick.
Exaggerating much? I'll take a guess that some, if not all the people who suffer with motion sickness in life don't play games in VR. Why would they? In 6 years only ONE game made me feel queasy and that was a poorly implemented early access game on Steam that ran at about 5 frames a second. This was in the early days of Oculus VR. (DK2)

Top Bottom