What other games are we all playing?

Can't you play it without a day1 patch?
In any case, I think this was one of the reasons why we don't have crossplay in Elite - Microsoft's inability/unwillingness to coordinate update times.

The day one patch fixes a critical bug that makes your game crash and corrupt your savegame.
Also some new features are included in that patch.
Tomorow all will be fine though, I realy like that game and prefer it over Skyrim if purely for the combat which is great imho.

I am currently playing Kingdoms and Castles.

The game is from a couple of developers who are still working on it, still turning out decent updates and reportedly even planning for VR. It has a 'cute' and simple art style along with some deft touches of humour and a decent increase in difficulty as the years roll by. It is not perfect with fairly small in map, but is far more addictive than I had expected. I played the game a lot when it came out, let a couple of expansions arrive and am back now. It is a simple, rewarding, fun and relaxing diversion from other more taxing games.

Think of Cities Sylines on a grid, art drawn with crayons, the ability to build castles and defences, all with Vikings and dragons for combat. Give it a look if that sounds like fun, because it is.

I am currently playing Kingdoms and Castles.

The game is from a couple of developers who are still working on it, still turning out decent updates and reportedly even planning for VR. It has a 'cute' and simple art style along with some deft touches of humour and a decent increase in difficulty as the years roll by. It is not perfect with fairly small in map, but is far more addictive than I had expected. I played the game a lot when it came out, let a couple of expansions arrive and am back now. It is a simple, rewarding, fun and relaxing diversion from other more taxing games.

Think of Cities Sylines on a grid, art drawn with crayons, the ability to build castles and defences, all with Vikings and dragons for combat. Give it a look if that sounds like fun, because it is.

Spent a lot of time playing it when it released, fantastic little game. The devs are currently working on AI kingdoms, show be a fantastic addition.

The day one patch fixes a critical bug that makes your game crash and corrupt your savegame.
Also some new features are included in that patch.
Tomorow all will be fine though, I realy like that game and prefer it over Skyrim if purely for the combat which is great imho.
Yeah. I've just given in a couple of hours. It has been one of my top 5 RPGs of all time, but honestly, I kind of forgot why. :LOL:
Now I remembered. It's great. The combat still feels crisp and the lore is amazing.

What's probably the best thing about this, though, is that I mostly forgot the story. Which is a good thing! I always wanted to be able to do that. Forget the story of a game and play through it fresh, again.
I'm looking forward to playing through it again.

Yeah. I've just given in a couple of hours. It has been one of my top 5 RPGs of all time, but honestly, I kind of forgot why. :LOL:
Now I remembered. It's great. The combat still feels crisp and the lore is amazing.

What's probably the best thing about this, though, is that I mostly forgot the story. Which is a good thing! I always wanted to be able to do that. Forget the story of a game and play through it fresh, again.
I'm looking forward to playing through it again.

I've done a couple playthroughs each with a different destiny and everytime it was fun.
I like the cartoonish style and colorful regions, the story is nice too but the combat makes this game great.
It's to bad the game had so much against it at the time of release, I was already glad when THQ bought the IP and made it backwards compatible on Xbox One, this remaster will be even better so yeah I'm happy to be able to play it again and with updated graphics, less bugs and better balanced.

Yes I agree that around hubs where there is a lot of stuff, the map can be overwhelming (Panopticon is another such place), but I also think they did it on purpose to force people into exploring and learning the place instead of "chasing mission markers"

(btw. if you're still trying to locate dr. Underhill - it's below Central Research. The only way to get UNDER the central research is a literal hole in the ground. :) It's in the corner opposite to the cafeteria and toilets at the bottom floor.)

I feel though that with the (good) design choice of deliberatly making the inside of the old house confusing and not logical like other buildings, then a better map was a must. Like I say at the very least the ability to look at one floor at a time, I spent ages trying to figure out where a corridor was, it "looked" like it was right in front of me according to the map. I'm not sure but I think at least one elavator doesn't "line up" with the map.

I found out where to go for Dr Underhill, not signposted at all and the entire section of that mission/quest was not on the map either. I suppose that in my 20's/30's I would have got my teeth into it a bit more, but at my age things like that irritate more than please me, I like difficulty to be organic/natural and not contrived. It's like a cryptic crossword puzzle, the author of such puzzles deliberately try to be obscure, often needing very specific knowledge of something tenuously related to the answer. Game design that follows that is not good game design IMO.

I don't like the modern system of icons and breadcrumbs where only the incredibly stupid could possibly get lost that many games nowadays have, but this goes too far in the other direction for me personally and it's just knocking the edge of my enjoyment of the game.

It bothered me that the Skaven could field ratling gunners against me. My Golden Order campaign being quite successful I decded to give the skaven another try, bought the DLC with Clan Skyre or wossname and now I can field ALL the ratling gunners I want, yes, yes.

3 of them have already turned the tide. Eh? Get it? Tide? Nihihihi.

Anyway, I'm Meister Scrublord with Skaven - they are busy in fights with all the routing. Last time - and I'm not really a cheesemaster with doomstacks - I fielded like 4 Warpfire Cannons just for the lulz - enemy lords went down like nothing. Cavalry too.
I do feel tempted to field ridiculous amounts of ratling gunners this time. Yes. Horned Rat compels me to, yes, yes.

I feel though that with the (good) design choice of deliberatly making the inside of the old house confusing and not logical like other buildings, then a better map was a must. Like I say at the very least the ability to look at one floor at a time, I spent ages trying to figure out where a corridor was, it "looked" like it was right in front of me according to the map. I'm not sure but I think at least one elavator doesn't "line up" with the map.

I found out where to go for Dr Underhill, not signposted at all and the entire section of that mission/quest was not on the map either. I suppose that in my 20's/30's I would have got my teeth into it a bit more, but at my age things like that irritate more than please me, I like difficulty to be organic/natural and not contrived. It's like a cryptic crossword puzzle, the author of such puzzles deliberately try to be obscure, often needing very specific knowledge of something tenuously related to the answer. Game design that follows that is not good game design IMO.

I don't like the modern system of icons and breadcrumbs where only the incredibly stupid could possibly get lost that many games nowadays have, but this goes too far in the other direction for me personally and it's just knocking the edge of my enjoyment of the game.
Kinda sums up my feelings to a 'T'. I'm enjoying the game but trying to get inside the mind of the designers behind the puzzle elements is a nightmare, with most game puzzles, once you kinda grasp where the mission design team is coming from it usually falls into place, Control is making even that...testing.

Kinda sums up my feelings to a 'T'. I'm enjoying the game but trying to get inside the mind of the designers behind the puzzle elements is a nightmare, with most game puzzles, once you kinda grasp where the mission design team is coming from it usually falls into place, Control is making even that...testing.

I'm not a fan of boss fights either....so that's a bit of a bummer with this game, thankfully the game has an excellent section in the menu for tweaking things. gotta give the devs a LOT of kudos for that. But the rest of the game I'm playing without help, launch is a lot of fun, never knew killing some creature with a bin would be fun!

I'm not a fan of boss fights either....so that's a bit of a bummer with this game, thankfully the game has an excellent section in the menu for tweaking things. gotta give the devs a LOT of kudos for that. But the rest of the game I'm playing without help, launch is a lot of fun, never knew killing some creature with a bin would be fun!
It's a bit like Hitman 2...killed some lady with a thrown coconut the other night...it wasn't meant to kill her, just knock her unconscious. Unfortunately, she fell into a cement mixer. Still got me my silent assassin rating though :D

Last edited:
It's a bit like Hitman 2...killed some lady with a thrown coconut the other night...it wasn't meant to kill her, just knock her unconscious. Unfortunately, she fell into a cement mixer. Still got me my silent assassin rating though :D
Achievements > morality :LOL:

oh, and re: Boss fights in Control - Yeah... I'm not a fan of boss fights either and I think the ending of Control is handled perfectly in that regard, but the "optional boss" fights, those are truly infuriating. Especially the Anchor (what a headache), the Fridge/Flamingo and Plant. They certainly took a while.

Last edited:
Obsidian slipped in a new DLC under the radar. Peril on Gorgon dropped on Sept 9th and went totally unnoticed by much of the gaming industry (or was that just me?) Guess I was preoccupied with other stuff.

It's an extremely short (7 hour or so?) lived DLC which is best suited for a replay/re-roll of a new character. Or playing it for the first time. Or perhaps if using your mature end game character, playing as a complete pacifist armed only with your fists. Either way, SkillUp's review on the new worldspace and game play is a bit disheartening. But I'm still going to get if off M$ store just so I can support Obsidian.

edit: Kotkau offered some good pointers if you're using one of your most mature/recent saves:

Last edited:
After a PC rebuild, back in April where I had just been playing it, Ive gone back to FO4 only this time its all on Ultra have all the mods for graphics (not the HD crud from bethsda) an enb and o m g it looks like it came out yesterday and not 4 odd years ago. :cool:

Lately I've been playing Neverwinter Nights with all the expansions and no mods. Rather sentimental, but I became discouraged when I couldn't stay alive with a stick. Do dice games count or is the discussion only on the vidya? Sometimes ring patrols get boring and we gamble coffee pods or food cartridges over dice, remotely. Do a search for "Front, Left, Center" if interested.

By Heroes do you mean of Might and Magic? There was a special lady who's really into that one, but I could never really get into it.

Achievements > morality :LOL:

oh, and re: Boss fights in Control - Yeah... I'm not a fan of boss fights either and I think the ending of Control is handled perfectly in that regard, but the "optional boss" fights, those are truly infuriating. Especially the Anchor (what a headache), the Fridge/Flamingo and Plant. They certainly took a while.
Traffic lights took me ages!! My reactions are clearly shocking. :(

I was lucky with the fridge, I was close to killing the boss and got a bit of tunnel vision with how close I was and didn't notice my rapidly depleting health...I died, went back but must have fired the boss killing shot milliseconds before dying as It was complete went I went back to try again!! :)

Last year I picked up Destiny 2 when it was free, had an ok time for about 5 hours, but the structure of it baffled me (I play solo). Played it a little bit more a few months ago but it never grabbed me then either. But I started playing it again this week, completed the red war Story quest finally and then moved on the other free DLC Curse of Osiris, completed that yesterday and enjoyed it, now I'm on the final free DLC Warmind. More than trebled my hours in and it's good. Love the graphics and art style, the vistas around the levels really do a good job of making me feel I'm in a much larger level.

Still a bit baffled by all the mechanics of Engrams, lost sectors, raids etc etc, only just sussd out what to do with the "power points" of armour! LOL.

edit, actually reading up on warmind I havn't started it after all....I'm on some other Past quest on mars.

Last year I picked up Destiny 2 when it was free, had an ok time for about 5 hours, but the structure of it baffled me (I play solo). Played it a little bit more a few months ago but it never grabbed me then either. But I started playing it again this week, completed the red war Story quest finally and then moved on the other free DLC Curse of Osiris, completed that yesterday and enjoyed it, now I'm on the final free DLC Warmind. More than trebled my hours in and it's good. Love the graphics and art style, the vistas around the levels really do a good job of making me feel I'm in a much larger level.

Still a bit baffled by all the mechanics of Engrams, lost sectors, raids etc etc, only just sussd out what to do with the "power points" of armour! LOL.

edit, actually reading up on warmind I havn't started it after all....I'm on some other Past quest on mars.
Destiny 2 is a weird bag. I really like it when comes to shooting, it looks fantastic, etc. But the way they managed to shoehorn in the "MMO elements" like crafting (well, "crafting") and grinding for various stuff is really awkward and imo unnecessary.
It would have been great as a singleplayer shooter-adventure game. All the other things are just there to slow you down or otherwise annoy you.

Destiny 2 is a weird bag. I really like it when comes to shooting, it looks fantastic, etc. But the way they managed to shoehorn in the "MMO elements" like crafting (well, "crafting") and grinding for various stuff is really awkward and imo unnecessary.
It would have been great as a singleplayer shooter-adventure game. All the other things are just there to slow you down or otherwise annoy you.

So true. If it was mainly a SP game or even more Borderlands style Co-op I would have loved it. Cutscenes and graphics in general are so impressive. As it is I'm debating whether or not to spend money on the later DLC. I'll proly wait for a sale

WTH? I just stumbled across another gold bar cache.

Haven't been following my YT streamers lately due to irl intervention. Was browsing my favorite YT veejay list when this popped up on my YT stream.
Wasteland 3. Developed and produced by none other than Brian Fargo aka the Founding Father of Fallout 1 in the flesh! o_O Who was one of the former leading devs of now defunct Interplay, the precursor to fabled Black Isle Studios and Fallout 2.

Like Garriot's Origin System, Interplay added to the extremely high bar of making RPG fantasy/DVD games. At it's peak, the company produced some of the most epic classic RPG titles in the 90's the likes of Fallout, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Earthworm Jim!, Star Trek/Starfleet Academy, and Planescape: Torment

Once again, ESO delivers another stellar play through. Wasteland 3 fills the void between Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4. Delivered in original old school isometric perspective. And finally scratches that itch Howard and his Fallout 4 horrendously failed to achieve. Despite all the hype and a significantly vaster AAA budget.

Thank heavens fasting this is NOT one of the classic titles being held hostage on Epic's store. I would've had to eat my arm. And possibly a leg while at it.:ROFLMAO:
For you old school RPG Fallout fans, here's Steaming near you....

Top Bottom