Interiors, why?

So, many people have come to this thread to provide all sorts of interesting ideas on development of ship interiors as well as possibilities for making those interiors interactive. Aside from the few individuals who have come here to spout off their opinions (sans any actual data to back up their claims) as if a) those opinions were facts and b) they know better than anyone else including FDev, everyone else has made this thread a real treat to read. Hopefully FDev will be reading this thread and toss around these ideas and see if they can't be worked into their long term plan.

Yeah for the “know better than everybody else” I did that job for a while, doing 3d vehicles interiors. I still model for work, just not vehicles interiors right now. I even did a few indie game projects as sole artist and designer, tiny amount of coding and worked in bigger arsholish aaa studios... since around 2000 so yeah I kinda know better than most people on that forum.

Just popping in to remind everyone is simpler times when the concern was space legs being limited to ONLY ship interiors lol. Main argument was just that would add nothing to the game
This. I'd always assumed that ship interiors were a given for Odyssey because I'd always seen the first pass of space legs as being just that - a bit of extra fun to be had around your ship rather than a fundamental change to the way you played the game. It would seem that FDev have different ideas, which - details permitting - I don't have a problem with at all. Particularly if they are actually thinking about ship interiors requiring more development, inherently suggesting that they really are trying to work in some of the cooler ideas spoken about all those years ago. I'd love for some form of SI to be included in Odyssey but if it means that we didn't get customizable living quarters, space walks, boarding manoeuvrers, etc, then I can see the reasoning about pushing it off to a future update.

This. I'd always assumed that ship interiors were a given for Odyssey because I'd always seen the first pass of space legs as being just that - a bit of extra fun to be had around your ship rather than a fundamental change to the way you played the game. It would seem that FDev have different ideas, which - details permitting - I don't have a problem with at all. Particularly if they are actually thinking about ship interiors requiring more development, inherently suggesting that they really are trying to work in some of the cooler ideas spoken about all those years ago. I'd love for some form of SI to be included in Odyssey but if it means that we didn't get customizable living quarters, space walks, boarding manoeuvrers, etc, then I can see the reasoning about pushing it off to a future update.
Agreed.

And I think those details will give us a better idea about what fdev might actually be capable of doing with other branches of first person content.

Yeah for the “know better than everybody else” I did that job for a while, doing 3d vehicles interiors. I still model for work, just not vehicles interiors right now. I even did a few indie game projects as sole artist and designer, tiny amount of coding and worked in bigger arsholish aaa studios... since around 2000 so yeah I kinda know better than most people on that forum.
Get your cv sent in dude, we need you ;)

Interiors, sure, why not. I really don't care what the devs spend their time on, so long as I can see development in, and get enjoyment out of the parts of the game I enjoy.

The problem is, pretty much every suggestion across the forums over the past how many years when it comes to space legs boil down to having a different way of doing an activity that can already be done, virtually instantly, from the cockpit. Elite was designed from the ground up for activities to be essentially fast travel equivalent. Adding an alternative way to do things is great. Yay choice! but most players will tend to take the fast travel way of doing things when given the choice.

Ok, so FINALLY we have someone putting up some real creds for this discussion. THANK YOU. Now to the business at hand. We really need to know roughly what percentage of the player base would be interested in interior ship features. We also need to know if FDev is already considering this. Additionally, Is it possible to implement this in stages without trying to choke the game all at once with one big massive update. For example, can a few basic ship rooms be set up at first and then later on, functionality added and then later beyond that actual missions and such that would take advantage of this new content? Would it be possible when designing ship rooms to simplify things a bit at first? Say for example smalls ships of the Saud Kruger make would have one type of personal quarters. Lakon ships of the small type would have personal quarters with another appearance. Then for all ships of that type, the stock personal quarters would more or less be the same. Being able to customize these rooms could come later. This way you would not have to design specific rooms for each ship in the game. Now that you are telling us about your actual experience, it would be helpful to know that if there is enough interest in this feature, would FDev be able to modularly incorporate this into the game?

Interiors, sure, why not. I really don't care what the devs spend their time on, so long as I can see development in, and get enjoyment out of the parts of the game I enjoy.

The problem is, pretty much every suggestion across the forums over the past how many years when it comes to space legs boil down to having a different way of doing an activity that can already be done, virtually instantly, from the cockpit. Elite was designed from the ground up for activities to be essentially fast travel equivalent. Adding an alternative way to do things is great. Yay choice! but most players will tend to take the fast travel way of doing things when given the choice.
I think this is potentially true (definitely about some suggestions that are made).

I'd much rather board a ship wreck in person than just scoop up cargo nearby it, which isn't "ship interiors" strictly speaking but definitely would require similar work to achieve as a result. If I must get more rewards for preferring fps content in lieu of all this amazing scooping game play then it's really trivial to make boarding that wreck more rewarding than what we do now. You know, to force everyone to do it...

Like we're all forced mine ltds...

But Fps combat will be something we just can't do sat in the cockpit of our ships. I'm happy we're getting it soon.

I'd be just as happy if the "maps" we get to fps in are plentiful and varied. So I'd absolutely include the insides of ships as content that satisfies that desire.

The majority of "nah" I'm seeing here is "it can't be done".

Just not really interested in that sort of mindset. 7 years ago I'd never have thought Elite online was going to happen. I think it takes a certain dedication to the mundane if someone feels being sat still permanently scooping up cargo as the primary way we interact with almost everything is exciting enough to render the though of actually entering a destroyed wreckage on foot as "not worth it".

Last edited:
Not until your ideas stop being terrible. Even if there WERE a large pool of cases where it MIGHT be worth it to board and transfer, the fps part would take nearly as long as just hatch breaking and would be far more dangerous besides! Why would I ever take the risk of my haul being destroyed when I can extract it perfectly safely already?

Side note, I don't mind fps combat, I just want it done in an efficient and practical manner.
Sorry but it's not his ideas but your arguments which are terrible. Apparently you don't even think about it before you post. It took me 5 seconds to come up with a solution for your perceived problem.

I think this is potentially true (definitely about some suggestions that are made).

I'd much rather board a ship wreck in person than just scoop up cargo nearby it, which isn't "ship interiors" strictly speaking but definitely would require similar work to achieve as a result. If I must get more rewards for preferring fps content in lieu of all this amazing scooping game play then it's really trivial to make boarding that wreck more rewarding than what we do now. You know, to force everyone to do it...

Like we're all forced mine ltds...

But Fps combat will be something we just can't do sat in the cockpit of our ships. I'm happy we're getting it soon.

I'd be just as happy if the "maps" we get to fps in are plentiful and varied. So I'd absolutely include the insides of ships as content that satisfies that desire.

The majority of "nah" I'm seeing here is "it can't be done".

Just not really interested in that sort of mindset. 7 years ago I'd never have thought Elite online was going to happen.
But see, your suggestions here are actually new content. Exploring and taking missions INSIDE other structures. New ways to interact with things. And that's cool if they are added on like passenger missions were...an additional mission type. But beyond that type of addition, things such as interiors on our own ships, crew on our own ships...our ships are currently fully manageable, virtually instantaneously, by a single pilot from the cockpit chair. Any changes or additions there will be not much more than time sink busy work.

Even examples such as being able to manually repair things so one wouldn't have to take up the slot for an AFMU. Well, that is something that would be relevant mainly only to explorers, and there are very few ships any more that are that slot starved, and the biggest use explorers have for AFMU's is repairing FSD damage on Neutron Highways...that are taken because of the fast travel times. So I am not sure there would be much appeal for manually repairing mini games beyond the occasionally novelty.

I'll say it again because it is now buried.

No one is saying that gameplay is limited with ship interiors. There are many ideas in this thread and the half dozen duplicates like it.

It's not lack of ideas, it will be lack of implementation. We already have many things in the game that could be boosted with gameplay if they were implemented. Landing on planets is a classic one. Lets be honest, most people land on a planet, they probably find mats, they may find some biological, rarely someone discovers a new Guardian site. This is crying out for additional gameplay. It hasn't come.

What makes you think that any gameplay will be satisfyingly added to ship interiors when we see so much lacking in most other areas of the game?

I'll say it again because it is now buried.

No one is saying that gameplay is limited with ship interiors. There are many ideas in this thread and the half dozen duplicates like it.

It's not lack of ideas, it will be lack of implementation. We already have many things in the game that could be boosted with gameplay if they were implemented. Landing on planets is a classic one. Lets be honest, most people land on a planet, they probably find mats, they may find some biological, rarely someone discovers a new Guardian site. This is crying out for additional gameplay. It hasn't come.

What makes you think that any gameplay will be satisfyingly added to ship interiors when we see so much lacking in most other areas of the game?
I reckon we'll be able to judge how lacklustre fps content is soon enough ;) I think that qualifies as "additional game play" on planets. If it's lacklustre, as you suggest, then my mood for further fps content would be massively dampened and I'll just stop playing for a few years until I decide it's interesting again.

Just not going to effectively write off anything because it might be lacking though.

But see, your suggestions here are actually new content. Exploring and taking missions INSIDE other structures. New ways to interact with things. And that's cool if they are added on like passenger missions were...an additional mission type. But beyond that type of addition, things such as interiors on our own ships, crew on our own ships...our ships are currently fully manageable, virtually instantaneously, by a single pilot from the cockpit chair. Any changes or additions there will be not much more than time sink busy work.

Even examples such as being able to manually repair things so one wouldn't have to take up the slot for an AFMU. Well, that is something that would be relevant mainly only to explorers, and there are very few ships any more that are that slot starved, and the biggest use explorers have for AFMU's is repairing FSD damage on Neutron Highways...that are taken because of the fast travel times. So I am not sure there would be much appeal for manually repairing mini games beyond the occasionally novelty.
I've said this before but almost everything you say has been suggested sounds dull.

So you won't see me disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that it takes a few seconds to think of exciting reasons to do new stuff that gets us off the chair.

And we'll need quite a few of those to become reality if the work required to build ship interiors can be justified.

I'm not saying this is you but the common objection against interiors goes something like:

"fixing modules on foot? Sounds dull. It's a no from me"

The logic of which is nonsense. Ship interiors =! Fixing our ship. But that's the reason it's "a no from me".

Might as well be a celiac that says "go out for dinner? And get served bread??? Not for me!"

How about we don't order bread?

"No! Bread is served at all restaurants and everyone orders it! No one could possibly want soup! Not for me!"

Just naysaying for the sake of telling everyone they don't like fixing their ship on foot. Yeh, I reckon most won't.

So how about ship interiors has nothing to do with that?

I reckon we'll be able to judge how lacklustre fps content is soon enough ;) I think that qualifies as "additional game play" on planets. If it's lacklustre, as you suggest, then my mood for further fps content would be massively dampened and I'll just stop playing for a few years until I decide it's interesting again.

Just not going to effectively write off anything because it might be lacking though.

Have you engineered a ship to it's maximum potential?

Do you own a Fleet Carrier?

I ask these questions because both things get a lot of stick on this forum for the 'grind', be that mats or fuel. The repetitive game loops.

My fear with ship interiors is that the gameplay would be limited and never added to and would be as grinding as the above.

When it comes to engineering and mining fuel for an FC, I'm in the 'it's ok' camp. But as well as all the good ideas these forums throw up for gameplay ideas in ship interiors, we should remember the grind that FD seem to install in most of their gameplay.

What I'm basically saying about ship interiors is, be careful what you wish for,

Have you engineered a ship to it's maximum potential?

Do you own a Fleet Carrier?

I ask these questions because both things get a lot of stick on this forum for the 'grind', be that mats or fuel. The repetitive game loops.

My fear with ship interiors is that the gameplay would be limited and never added to and would be as grinding as the above.

When it comes to engineering and mining fuel for an FC, I'm in the 'it's ok' camp. But as well as all the good ideas these forums throw up for gameplay ideas in ship interiors, we should remember the grind that FD seem to install in most of their gameplay.

What I'm basically saying about ship interiors is, be careful what you wish for,
I've got a lot of thoughts about both of those things. Not nearly exclusively positive.

I've even said I'd prefer it if engineers never happened, despite feeling it's better now than it was. I think FCs are pretty cool. I just don't like a few things about them.

I could quite happily live my life without ship interiors and wouldn't want them if they were implemented poorly. But I think that's the reason I've spent dozens of posts in this thread discussing ideas to not do them poorly?

If you could see the list of "what I wish for" then ship interiors is not near the top of that list.

But I still think it's better to discuss it rather than just write it off. The op posed a question but it was just a thinly veiled attempt to say "I don't want them".

Just seems massively pointless to me. More so when the reasons are "because my idea of what they'll be sucks".

Well yeh, obviously... It's just theory crafting negativity for the sake of it. Like, oddysey will be rubbish because it's fps. An absolutely pointless observation. Yet some have felt the need to say pretty much that.

The op just did it by pretending they were genuinely ask a question. They weren't.

Last edited:
But I still think it's better to discuss it rather than just write it off.

Well that is fine but it would appear to me that FD have their own plans that they put in place, they very occasionally listen to feedback about them after implementation and do a couple of adjustments. So you can discuss it all you like, I'm really not trying to stop you but I don't believe it will have any bearing on the outcome.

Well that is fine but it would appear to me that FD have their own plans that they put in place, they very occasionally listen to feedback about them after implementation and do a couple of adjustments. So you can discuss it all you like, I'm really not trying to stop you but I don't believe it will have any bearing on the outcome.
You are probably right.

What's the point in being here though in that case? :D

People want it because it's something new and that's interesting.

Yes, it's possible that people will spend half an hour walking around their ship and then never do it again.
I guess it'll be up to FDev to find ways to incorporate the new content into the game in a way that's enjoyable and interesting without being busy-work.

I mean, from a purely financial perspective, we only have so many places to put stuff on the dashboard in our cockpits.
How many Arx would people be spending on decorations if they had a ship interior full of hooks for things that they could load into by leaving the cockpit?
I can see that being a motivation both for players to visit those places, and for the devs to want to make them.

Top Bottom