VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

Aaaand, nope :D

Aaand, stand down. It’s by a dev house called Coatsink ;)

Lol 😄

I'm gonna be Mr Optimist here and say that's actually pretty good news, if it is an FDev title. (And the as-good-as-confirmed leak suggested they were making a Jurassic World themed survival game, so it's definitely possible).

That'd suggest they're still interested in the VR market (even if on the Quest-y end). And potentially working on first person VR game mechanics, with expertise in-house.

I could see a scenario where they've been thinking: Get EDO to launch with the best Legs possible. Move some of the JWA team to an EDO VR port once it's launched.

(It'd fit with their language on the issue to date. It'd fit with their willingness to put a partial VR build into the EDO launch - something that would normally signal a willingness to continue support etc).

Yeah. I'm going with Mr Optimist on this 😄

Last edited:
I´m not expecting ED:Oddysey to support "on foot" VR same way Half-Life: Alyx. I don`t see me playing ED interacting with the world with VR floating hands. I expect a on-foot VR like current "VR head camera". Moving around with WASD and mouse + head tracking HMD.

Having a 2D projection that moves along with head instead remain fixed ahead, may cause dizziness. It happened to me when HMD freezes, stop traking head movements and having the image moving with my head movement. So I hope at leats it works like playing a 2D game in virtual theatre (Bigscreen, i.e.)

Exactly. I can't believe some people are still complaining about this. FDev seemed to suggest they will be looking at VR in FP in due course so I think we should be grateful for how much we are actually getting at launch in terms of VR.
Indeed. I'm grateful myself, and pretty much suggested the projected 3rd/1st person view as a stop-gap solution in this thread several times.

I hope than can make it work fully outside of it being projected in front of us in the cockpit view, but happy to have VR so I can continue playing in future.

My personal opinion is perhaps they're thinking more that mixing VR and non-VR users is exactly why Half Life:Alyx would not be much of a challenge to non-VR users, as playing KB+M means it is so much easier shoot targets and plow down multiple enemies in hordes, versus in VR doing it a lot slower by having to aim manually. So how would they make VR and non-VR users interact fairly is probably more their considerations, and not just achieving a first person view in VR which isn't that difficult in a broad sense.

Last edited:
I'd love it if it was a Frontier Developments First Person VR Jurassic World game, because as golgot said if Frontier make that game for VR on foot, then there would be the expectation that they could transfer stuff from the Jurassic VR game to improve Odyssey VR. But given the Oculus Quest 2 is likely to be released imminently, months before Odyssey, you'd presume that the Jurassic VR game must be near completion, as such the company ought to have the necessary experience of making VR on foot "work", so why are they so cagey about making Odyssey's on foot section run on VR?

Could the Jurassic World Aftermath standalone VR headset game be a follow on from the Jurassic World mobile games?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2F5cZCA6nw&ab_channel=JurassicWorld

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQxvkhablUU&ab_channel=UniversalPictures

BTW those mobile games seem to echo / emulate JWE's game play, and the publishers website is down? Something about those facts is triggering my spideysenses 🤔

Picking up on the other comments, I shared @Akonkawa's concerns about the virtual flat screen potentially being a massive nausea trigger, worse than "VR headlook" would be. And I agree Virtual theatre sucks, but pancake sucks even harder... So I'm glad we've got virtual theatre, but I'm hoping it's only temporary, and if the company doing a VR dino game helps facilitate the development of a better VR implementation for my space legs, I can live with that, especially if its almost developed already :cool:

VR support is pretty much zero outside of ED from Frontier, so my hopes about other titles extending to that and then any development reflected in ED aren't especially astronomic (pardon the space pun).

I just noticed that the quest 2 is available for preorder, and is, according to the verge*, scheduled for release on October 13th, so it won't be long before we get to see if there is indeed a VR oculus quest Jurassic game, and if it is from Frontier. I do hope Jurassic World Aftermath is real, and made by frontier, although given the quest is basically a jumped up mobile-phone embedded in a headset, as that will bolster our chances of gettingproper VR space legs, but I'm not 100% confident that it is a Frontier game rather than another mobile game.

*link to the verge article with the release date etc.

Oculus just announced no more PCVR-only headsets, so think my transition away when this CV1 dies is guaranteed anyway ;)

Glad I bought most of my games on Steam too...

I hope they continue to support tethering with their stand-alone sets though. Otherwise that’s a big player moving right out of the PCVR software space :/

EDIT: Ah ok, link tethering still a thing, if still compromised too.

Last edited:
I hope they continue to support tethering with their stand-alone sets though. Otherwise that’s a big player moving right out of the PCVR software space :/
It isn't, in a sense, you still got Quest Link cable and streaming pcvr games to quest. Don't have a quest, don't know the exact details. Also, Quest2 on this new chipset is a very promising device for console-type-take-me-to-a-trip-with-you-VR. And I think it will get insanely popular, especially at this pricepoint. It's $299 / 350€ for a standalone(! NO PC !) VR device.

It isn't, in a sense, you still got Quest Link cable and streaming pcvr games to quest. Don't have a quest, don't know the exact details. Also, Quest2 on this new chipset is a very promising device for console-type-take-me-to-a-trip-with-you-VR. And I think it will get insanely popular, especially at this pricepoint. It's $299 / 350€ for a standalone(! NO PC !) VR device.

Yeah I just wonder where their focus will be in the software realm. It's less likely to be on PCVR titles etc (and the Q2 itself likely can't sustain big ambitious formats like open worlds etc). Given there'd been a few promising developments like the Rockstar open world getting dialled up, it feels like a push back in the other direction. Even hearing that Assassin's Creed & Splinter Cell are getting VR versions, makes me think: What would a Quest version look like? Less fancy / ambitious is my thinking ;). Less likely to be like their flatscreen counter-parts etc.

It's all cool for VR getting traction, and lots of games can be great without stellar graphics glamour & scale etc. I just think AAA game formats just went on hiatus again, and HL2 will probably look like something of an anomaly :/

Top Bottom