Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Oooh.... it's time to get excited again..... a note from Sean reads....

Hello,

Next week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it "ORIGINS".

Detailed patch notes will follow, along with next week's release.

964d02dbcee09674e3a83be6c6b1886f66f6499e.jpg

Four years ago we announced FOUNDATION, our first major update for No Man's Sky, we promised "It won't be our largest update, but it is the start of something". Those words were true at the time, and they ring true for Origins. We called it Origins because it is the beginning of something new, as No Man's Sky continues to grow and evolve.

BEYOND came out last year, bringing VR and hugely expanded Online play, and since then we have focused on releasing more regular updates. SYNTHESIS, BYTEBEAT, LIVING SHIP, EXO MECH, CROSSPLAY, and DESOLATION have been some of our most popular, surprising and transformative updates - leading No Man’s Sky to have its biggest year to date.

We know there is a huge appetite in the community for No Man's Sky content, and the team has worked our socks off this year to deliver in difficult circumstances. We have been quiet, but we are always listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.

This update will be another small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.

Thank you,
Sean

Oooh.... it's time to get excited again..... a note from Sean reads....

Hello,

Next week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it "ORIGINS".

Detailed patch notes will follow, along with next week's release.

964d02dbcee09674e3a83be6c6b1886f66f6499e.jpg

Four years ago we announced FOUNDATION, our first major update for No Man's Sky, we promised "It won't be our largest update, but it is the start of something". Those words were true at the time, and they ring true for Origins. We called it Origins because it is the beginning of something new, as No Man's Sky continues to grow and evolve.

BEYOND came out last year, bringing VR and hugely expanded Online play, and since then we have focused on releasing more regular updates. SYNTHESIS, BYTEBEAT, LIVING SHIP, EXO MECH, CROSSPLAY, and DESOLATION have been some of our most popular, surprising and transformative updates - leading No Man’s Sky to have its biggest year to date.

We know there is a huge appetite in the community for No Man's Sky content, and the team has worked our socks off this year to deliver in difficult circumstances. We have been quiet, but we are always listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.

This update will be another small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.

Thank you,
Sean
Releasing next week? Nice.

Just a pity I didn’t manage to snag a 3080 graphics card, NMS VR really needs something beefier than my 1080 to run at any of the higher settings and I’ve been holding off starting a new game until my PC has a bit more oomph.

I’ll still give it a check out - interesting that it sounds like the start to another “season” of updates.

Cover art indicates it's a larger update (small updates have game screenshots not the hand drawn covers). Interested to see what it contains.

Releasing next week? Nice.

Just a pity I didn’t manage to snag a 3080 graphics card, NMS VR really needs something beefier than my 1080 to run at any of the higher settings and I’ve been holding off starting a new game until my PC has a bit more oomph.

I’ll still give it a check out - interesting that it sounds like the start to another “season” of updates.
That's interesting. I have no problem with NMS on my laptop with nVidia 1070 and my Samsung Odyssey+ hi-rez WMR headset.

That's interesting. I have no problem with NMS on my laptop with nVidia 1070 and my Samsung Odyssey+ hi-rez WMR headset.
Can I ask what settings you’re running with? I’ve got the textures and clouds cranked up but pretty much everything else is at the Standard level.

I really want the tessellation back, which is why I want one of the new cards (and for more SS in Elite, naturally 🙂).

gawd I'm so behind on playing NMS, having even tried the Exos or Desolation yet......no time!!!

Same. And I play with mods, and can't live without some of them (i.e. the game is much more enjoyable with them), which always take days to be updated (if at all) with any major release. By the time I get to the point where I have a "playable" game, I'm distracted by something else or work overloads me. And the cycle starts again next week! :ROFLMAO:

Can I ask what settings you’re running with? I’ve got the textures and clouds cranked up but pretty much everything else is at the Standard level.

I really want the tessellation back, which is why I want one of the new cards (and for more SS in Elite, naturally 🙂).
It will be a few days before I can get back to you on this. Won't be near my VR setup until then.

Same. And I play with mods, and can't live without some of them (i.e. the game is much more enjoyable with them), which always take days to be updated (if at all) with any major release. By the time I get to the point where I have a "playable" game, I'm distracted by something else or work overloads me. And the cycle starts again next week! :ROFLMAO:
gawd I'm so behind on playing NMS, having even tried the Exos or Desolation yet......no time!!!

Same here, I've not played since the exo-mech suits or even the organic spaceships. Currently spending too much time on Cities:Skylines!

It IS a hell of an update. I just wish I liked the core gameplay, but I just bounce off it every single time I try it again.

Maybe one more try? Why not.

Same here....

This kind of game was never my cup of tea, however it's just plain incredible how these guys have completely turned the tide around. From absolute fiery disaster to greatness. Every single update seems to add immense value to what's already there.

The "core game play" is much the same as Elite's - i.e. start out with almost nothing, build yourself up a bit, make some money, then go exploring. It's a big galaxy. Bigger than E: D's.

Of course you can ignore all that and just start building your dream base on a planet with seas just the right shade of pink, but that's up to you.

It's open world, so the game play is up to you. They just provide the framework.

The "core game play" is much the same as Elite's - i.e. start out with almost nothing, build yourself up a bit, make some money, then go exploring. It's a big galaxy. Bigger than E: D's.

Of course you can ignore all that and just start building your dream base on a planet with seas just the right shade of pink, but that's up to you.

It's open world, so the game play is up to you. They just provide the framework.
Yeah, but it's minecraft and terrible space flight, which means (to me) it gets really boring fast.

Whereas in Elite, even if I'm bored I enjoy the simple and (can't believe I'm saying this) 'immersive' process of taking off, leaving, flying, landing.

Yeah, but it's minecraft and terrible space flight, which means (to me) it gets really boring fast.

Whereas in Elite, even if I'm bored I enjoy the simple and (can't believe I'm saying this) 'immersive' process of taking off, leaving, flying, landing.

Most of the time I'm not really doing either of those things. I generally spend the most time wandering around planets, scanning things, trying to track down as many creatures and plants as I can. Some are hard to come by, and the fun part (for me) is seeking them out. Then there's trading, exploring wrecks, jetpacking between mountains, doing the "plot" questlines, upgrading my ship, exosuit, fleet carrier, exocraft, etc.

It's not really a space game... it's more of a planetary exploration thing with trillions of planets. You can treat as a space game of course, and if you do... aye, you'd probably find it disappointing because it's not a sim like E: D. But it's deliberately not trying to be.

I think if you go into it remembering always that it's a fantasy game & not a realistic space sim, you might have a better time of it. 🤷‍♀️

Problem is their "galaxy" is static. Planets do not move. Day/night time is just "designed". Gravity too.
So can't compare to Elite at all.

Problem is their "galaxy" is static. Planets do not move. Day/night time is just "designed". Gravity too.
So can't compare to Elite at all.

No, it's not a simulation. It's not like E: D at all in that regard.

But these things have little to no effect on actual gameplay. And there are definite similarities there - albeit NMS just has much much more of it.

For instance, even though the galaxy is "static", you can have an actual lasting effect on it. If you make a cave on a planet, that cave will persist & be visible for everyone.

You can't impact the galaxy in any way whatsoever in E: D. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Top Bottom