This game is still full of bugs :(

When they fix it so Laser Mining isnt 2000% higher profit than all other activities, there are going to be quite a few thousand complaints about all the bugs breaking the other activities.

When they fix it so Laser Mining isnt 2000% higher profit than all other activities, there are going to be quite a few thousand complaints about all the bugs breaking the other activities.
This, right?

I'm pretty convinced most people (who are happy to do the mining thing) don't realise how many different opportunities exist with the current game mechanics, and the variety of ways it can be played, and how many of those are bugged... but HOLD THE PRESS! THE PULSE WAVE ANALYSER IS BUSTED! CODE RED FD ALL HANDS ON DECK TO FIX THIS ONE!

Loathe to go slighlty OT, but when people complain that mining is unbalanced, I think people who disagree genuinely don't realise that it's not a simple complaint about mining making more than trading, rather it's a complaint that a single static case of mining makes more money than the entire dynamic system of trade mechanics, which is quite featured and creates many short-term scenarios which can be taken care of (that is, some things within trading make more money than other things in trading, but there's counter-balances and effort required to exploit that). Most people who follow the mining meta don't even understand what creates those prices in the first place (hint: It's the trade mechanics!)

But why on earth would FD go to the trouble of creating a trade system where:
  • Food makes good coin in famine
  • Medicines make good coin in outbreak
  • Food becomes illegal in outbreak
  • Drugs (wine, beer etc) make good coin in Public Holiday
  • Boom/Investment (where possible) enhance some of those profit margins
  • Boom + Civil Liberty is great for Military Fabric trading
  • Powerplay effects enhance aspects of trade even more (Remember Torval-Archon Slave trades? GG nerfing that, the rate that used to fetch is now the standard famine/outbreak margin)
  • Smuggling is meant to earn a slight boost on top of typical rates... but that's broken thanks to the stolen flag.
... and heaps more, only to be there for "role play" purposes because the earn rate is completely squashed by basic high-end mineral mining (even unmapped!).

So yeah, let's get all hands on to fix the PWA issue, because all the other trades broken by bugs get ignored by miners. Woo -.-

Last edited:
PS.
I've personally come to the conclusion that the reason for all these bugs (some almost 6 years old now) is that Frontier is a British Company.
I mean , these guys already drive on the wrong side of the road - so what would you expect :D
No......we drive on the correct side of the road, it's the other countries that's wrong, I've explained this before (right handed society, swords on horseback in medieval times, etc)

Wing Thargoid heart bug has been a thing for a looooong time.
They "fixed" it ages ago. And by "fixed" i mean they seemingly did nothing at all apart from declaring it was "fixed".
It is still in this state.

Maybe they should delay content for a while to focus on fixing all these bugs!

Oh hang on...

Thanks to the return of Galnet and CGs, I'm doing things that I haven't done in a long time, like combat zones. I'm surprised at the number of old, well-documented bugs that remain in the game. I normally don't encounter these specific bugs when out exploring, so I was hoping the last batch of updates might have fixed all these little nuisances. I didn't encounter anything "game breaking", but the old phrase "death by a thousand cuts" does come to mind.

I'm guessing we're not getting any more updates with Odyssey just around the bend. I just hope that Frontier includes bug-fixes for the base game (which will be Horizons going forward) as part of the Odyssey update. Like I said, all the bugs I encountered are well known, well documented, and have been around for a long time. The new narrative and associated community goals are great, but these bugs... ---v

iu

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to be political with that image, just using current events (and pretty hair) to make a point about Elite.

I don't know whats worse though.. Frontier not fixing bugs or ppl on the forum trying to convince you it isn't a bug, which most certainly does not help to get any bugs fixed.

I also think the whole "voting" system and issue tracker is to blame too, back when we had the bug forum it felt like bugs were handled quicker, and also confirmed, or labelled working as intended to dispel any myth about it, the issue tracker doesn't get used much, is out of sight, and requires numerous reports before it is even allowed to be looked into, and even then we have to vote on our most popular bug, which then just sits there unfixed. its just a website for moving the hot potato of bugs about a bit without actually doing anything, someone did some statistics once and it was a disgusting KPI frontier should be ashamed of.

We also never support bugs which are raised on the forum either - any mention of the PWA bug for example immediately turns into a "VO nerf" or "mining is fine" thread which is not helpful so we cant put all the blame on frontier.

The issue tracker is utter rubbish, its existence the birth child of a lazy QA team / manager. I used to religiously report bugs on the appropriate forum, with tons of details, screenshots, videos, etc. Those were the days, when other players could "vote" for a bug by adding their own screenshots and experiences to the thread, and where a real person from QA would interact with you, at least giving the illusion they cared.

Then came that captcha guarded bowl of toxic hellstew called the "issue tracker" (which needs its own issue tracker because it has so many issues), and I haven't reported a single bug since. Not that Frontier fixed the bugs that I did report back in the day (though to be fair, they fixed a few a year or two after I first reported them).

For me, the forum will always be the place where I complain about bugs, issue tracker be damned :p

The issue tracker is utter rubbish
The things that bug (boom boom) me most about it are:
  • The search function is really poor so you can't reliably check if your bug has been reported before
  • There doesn't seem to be any consolidation of reports so (in combination with above) you end up with multiple reports for the same thing diluting the 'confirmations'
  • 10 votes to confirm a bug are far, far too many and way above FD's other games which is usually 3, ergo bugs are rarely confirmed.
  • I hate the fact we 'vote' on our 'favourite' bugs
  • The quality of evidence provided appears to play no part. 2 or 3 reports with good evidence is so much than 10 random confirmations
  • I have to use a separate browser for the bug tracker because the bug tracker is the only website I use that breaks on my day-to-day browser

When they were on the forum I used to contribute regularly. The tracker is such a pain to use that when I have contributed it hasn't even got to the 'confirmed' status, so what's the point.

Edit: and there's no way to report bugs with the bug tracker.

Edit2: In a previous life I worked on an IT helpdesk in the 90's and genuinely from a user perspective the software we used back then (at least 2 different products) were hugely more user friendly for users. We never got complaints about users logging issues through a webpage, for the folk that were technically capable it just worked.

Last edited:
The cynic in me thinks that Frontier created the issue tracker specifically to discourage people from reporting bugs.

iu
Ha :D

I can genuinely see why it was so time consuming to manage the forum bug reports, and that a proper system 'could' have improved their ability to manage it, but what they chose might work internally but is just terrible from a user perspective.

I'm sure losing a lot of bonds due to kills not registering for whatever stupid reason. Yes I picked a side and yes I'm delivering adequate damage. It seems to be an instance-specific bug - I either get all bonds or no bonds. Considering how much work it is to destroy a CZ NPC while flying a Dolphin or Eagle, this sucks.

Thanks to the return of Galnet and CGs, I'm doing things that I haven't done in a long time, like combat zones. I'm surprised at the number of old, well-documented bugs that remain in the game. I normally don't encounter these specific bugs when out exploring, so I was hoping the last batch of updates might have fixed all these little nuisances. I didn't encounter anything "game breaking", but the old phrase "death by a thousand cuts" does come to mind.

I'm guessing we're not getting any more updates with Odyssey just around the bend. I just hope that Frontier includes bug-fixes for the base game (which will be Horizons going forward) as part of the Odyssey update. Like I said, all the bugs I encountered are well known, well documented, and have been around for a long time. The new narrative and associated community goals are great, but these bugs... ---v

iu

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to be political with that image, just using current events (and pretty hair) to make a point about Elite.

The problem is actually quite simple. FD refuse to fix the bugs because we now have to vote for the bugs in the beyond stupid concept that is the issue tracker. Only when we vote in numbers do they even think about fixing anything.

I'll give you a a few examples.

I've been playing the game since before launch, and one bug that has been there from day one is... Every time you land any ship in game on any station, or on a planetary base, the landing gear falls through the floor of the landing pad, every single time, before righting itself. I'm sure it's something to do with the landing gear not compressing, maybe they thought of implementing that then never got round to it. If you sit in the cockpit, just as you land, it feels like the landing gear compresses before coming to a full stop. On the exterior view, it just sinks into the station. Never fixed

Persistent damage on ships (laser marks, visual damage to your ship) only works until you change instance, then the ship magically looks fine again. Never fixed

Asteroids magically appearing in landing bays at bases (Elvira a good example) when you go down into the base, still a thing even to this day, though FD claim they fixed it... They didn't...

Shall i go on?

Where here's a new one - I just got stuck in an infinite interdiction tunnel. I won, still keeps going. I submit, still keeps going. I had to quit the game to get out of it (a long menu log). For Braben's sake, NPC interdictions are a big enough PITA as it is, now this?

Where here's a new one - I just got stuck in an infinite interdiction tunnel. I won, still keeps going. I submit, still keeps going. I had to quit the game to get out of it (a long menu log). For Braben's sake, NPC interdictions are a big enough PITA as it is, now this?
it's not a new one, believe me.

ever flown through a planet after interdiction?

Here's a new one - it seems some fleet carriers end up close enough to stations to show up in the contact panel. I selected the station (which wasn't top choice), but I kept getting the carrier's robot voice. Freaked me out because I had a blown canopy and not much air. I finally noticed on HUD that docking permission was for the station despite robot voice telling me I could land on the invisible carrier.

This game has more bugs than a July picnic in a Georgia swamp.

Top Bottom