This game is still full of bugs :(

I just hope that Frontier includes bug-fixes for the base game (which will be Horizons going forward) as part of the Odyssey update.
seeing FDEVs current record on various bug fixes - fix asteroid depletion persistency and breaking the pulse wave scanner along the way for exampel - i'm not really sure whether i wish for or fear bugfixes.

you know, like the not working cargo spill at installations. i wish that fixed, but i fear we end up with the installations opening fire randomly or similar as an effect of it.

Yup.... been saying it since FCs got announced. We need bugfixes, not new features like space legs.

"Oh Jmanis, that's a bit rash, surely both can happen?"

Obviously not since we continue to get new features built on the rubble of never-fixed game bugs.
Still need both though.

I hope the next update adding new planet tech means we get a fix for all the planetary weirdness like crater fog disappearing and reappearing as we exit supercruise, and bio/geo sites spawning high in the sky before snapping to the surface.

seeing FDEVs current record on various bug fixes
I had pretty much given up on Elite in general, but then not only did Frontier bring back Galnet, they did so with great zeal. So perhaps somebody IS listening over at Frontier, and perhaps they will apply the same zeal to fixing these bugs (at least the easy ones to fix) that they recently applied to Galnet and CGs. One can hope!

I'll give you a subset specific to this last CG. Note that most of these are intermittent - sometimes these problems occur, other times not.
  • CZs not giving the option to pick a side
  • Kills (legitimate) in a CZ not rewarding bonds
  • Rubber-banding when other players share instance in CG (I'm told this is an SLF-related bug)
  • Request Docking glitches
  • System chat requires double selection to work (otherwise chat goes to local)
  • Bond reward when cashed in doesn't match rewards tallied from info panel

I'm sure are others I'm forgetting ATM, crap that gets me in the middle of heated combat, for example. If you need a full and detailed list of all the bugs, just visit the official issue tracker. There's no need for me to copy-n-paste that list here.
Add to that things like:
  • CZ asking to pick a side over and over. <- this could be related to the kills not counting from time to time.
  • Way out of sink (to the events) NPC messages.
  • Select an in-system destination, jump into super cruise and another (usually near by) destination is selected.
  • Chat window wigs out (for sometimes minutes at a time) when you're in a system with a very active chat.
OP, are you sure the bond cashing not being the right amount isn't just because of a copilot cut being taken out?

Last edited:
It's a sad given but Fdev will always keep ignoring a huge amount of bugs.
New bugs introduced with the introduction of FCs are simply ignored, they somewhat fixed the FCs to some extent but bugs not related to FCs are still there and I think none of them will get any attention until the release of Odyssey if ever.
On Xbox the quality setting in the video options is broken since the initial release of FCs, nothing's being done about it.

Quality control/management is virtually non existent.

Deleted member 38366

D
unbenannt-1-png.189067

( Not mine, stolen from here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-memes.76212/page-170#post-8715255 )

;)

PS.
I've personally come to the conclusion that the reason for all these bugs (some almost 6 years old now) is that Frontier is a British Company.
I mean , these guys already drive on the wrong side of the road - so what would you expect :D

I had pretty much given up on Elite in general...
i have never given up on elite in general, but i'm currently really afraid whenever they touch a bugreport. I'm pretty sure somebody will say something about maintaining a complicated codebase and all, and i have great respect for it, especially over the 5+ years i'm playing elite - but as of now i sometimes would prefer them not fixing the bugs which annoy me as to not introduce bugs along the way which would annoy me even more.

also, i think it's great CGs and galnet are back, and really enjoy it. so, yes, there is hope that the producers are tackling things the right way. but for bugfixing "be carefull what you wish for" always slips into my mind these days.

i mean - not spawning NSP for exampel is really something which is a bug, that even gets to me out exploring. is there simply no NSP in system, or does it not spawn. I would wish them to fix it. But i fear, they'd introduce a lock screen effect by fixing it along the way, and i'm gonna burn my DBE because i can't pilot it for some time. In that case i'd prefer no bugfix for not spawning nsp. that is the kind of feeling creeping up reading the very obvious and rational threads on wishes for bugfixing.

but yes - BUG FIXES! but please roll back fixes at least if you break things along the way. you know - the exploit of using fighters to replenish subsurface deposits is a bad one. but breaking the pulse wave analysers along the way destroys intended gameplay. roll it back, until your bug fix does not break more things than it fixes.

On Xbox the quality setting in the video options is broken since the initial release of FCs, nothing's being done about it.
There are those who think the PS4 version is 100% amazing and bug-free, and who am I to shatter their illusion? If you are such a person, I recommend not clicking the following:

Frontier's abandonment of the console community is just terrible. I will never buy another Frontier product for the console after they ruined Elite for PS4 and abandoned our community. Their complete dismissal of the next generation of consoles is further proof that the console releases were just a quick cash grab, not a long-term commitment.

Red Hotspots don't even appear for me on Rings after I use my DS on them. Which is really annoying
The only thing that appears is the location marker of the minerals in nav.
I've been getting this too although it is randomly sporadic. At times it works on rings for one planet but the next set of rings won't show the glowing hotspots. Then, 5 minutes later, it'll start showing hotspots.

There are those who think the PS4 version is 100% amazing and bug-free, and who am I to shatter their illusion? If you are such a person, I recommend not clicking the following:

Frontier's abandonment of the console community is just terrible. I will never buy another Frontier product for the console after they ruined Elite for PS4 and abandoned our community. Their complete dismissal of the next generation of consoles is further proof that the console releases were just a quick cash grab, not a long-term commitment.

Yeah it's a sad thing isn't it?
I'm glad there are enough alternative games present and coming to Xbox, Fs2020 for instance.

Thanks to the return of Galnet and CGs, I'm doing things that I haven't done in a long time, like combat zones. I'm surprised at the number of old, well-documented bugs that remain in the game. I normally don't encounter these specific bugs when out exploring, so I was hoping the last batch of updates might have fixed all these little nuisances. I didn't encounter anything "game breaking", but the old phrase "death by a thousand cuts" does come to mind.

Heh, when I read your thread title I was going to mention this.

Thing is, we all do a whole bunch of different things when we play ED so we all encounter bugs "occasionally" but when there's a CG it's like an intensive beta-test of one particular aspect of the game so you're always going to get more people noticing the same issues at the same time.

In CZ's I've noticed all sorts of things such as that my weapons will sometimes carry on firing even after I release the trigger.
At first I thought it was simply a stuck joystick button but if I switch to a different FG it stops.
Then there's the stuff with no ships spawning in CZs sometimes... and a slightly more concerning bug where no friendly ships spawn for a few seconds - which means all the enemies decide to target you.
There's also the Annie's that refuse to die, friendlies suddenly turning hostile (often after the CZ is won, when you've got your hardpoints retracted), cap ships that won't die, cap ships that don't appear, even after the "arrival" sound effect has played, and all sorts of things I've forgotten about.

In normal play, I might see stuff like this once a year and it wouldn't bother me.
When I do 20 CZs a week, for a CG, it becomes more apparent.

"Fog of war", I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah it's a sad thing isn't it?
I'm glad there are enough alternative games present and coming to Xbox, Fs2020 for instance.
FS2020 is amazing! It's also a half-baked, bug-infested mess like ED, so brace yourself. The difference between MFS and ED is that MFS is new and Asobo is pushing out major bug fixes and new content every couple of weeks, so I can cut it a little more slack.

Still need both though.
Nope. You can have bugfixes in isolation no problems.

You cannot have new content without first fixing the extent bugs. Outherwise those bugs undermine your new content before it even gets out the door.

Hope nobody is expecting to feel a "Hans Solo" moment with space legs, smuggling their hard-fought-for illicit goods through station security, they reach the black market and OOPS! You actually made a loss on that whole endeavour because the game can't tell the difference between stolen or illegal goods.

You've just snuck up on the pirate camp and are about to ambush them and wipe them out with your wingmates, but OH NO! They aren't mission targets... which are nowhere to be found.

Oh look, that's some really exotic fauna, better get a sample of that for (whatever widget you need it for).... oh, that didn't give me a sample.. not did that one, wth my device is out of charges now.

You're tracking a mobile enemy on the planet surface... you see his signal disappear, suggesting they've gone into an underground bunker which blocks any signal emission from their equipment. You drop your ship at the surface where they were last detected, land and find..... nothing.

See why i have no confidence or desire for Odyssey and space legs with the current state of the game? These are all scenarios I'd love to get excited by but have recast current issues with the game against how they would affect Odyssey if they went by unaddressed.

History tells me these won't get fixed as part of Odyssey either. Hell, FCs update reintroduced some of these.

And that's without going near the problem of these activities still likely to be pretty worthless compared to mining or it's unbalanced cousins.

Last edited:
Nope. You can have bugfixes in isolation no problems.

You cannot have new content without first fixing the extent bugs. Outherwise those bugs undermine your new content before it even gets out the door.

Hope nobody is expecting to feel a "Hans Solo" moment with space legs, smuggling their hard-fought-for illicit goods through station security, they reach the black market and OOPS! You actually made a loss on that whole endeavour because the game can't tell the difference between stolen or illegal goods.

You've just snuck up on the pirate camp and are about to ambush them and wipe them out with your wingmates, but OH NO! They aren't mission targets... which are nowhere to be found.

Oh look, that's some really exotic fauna, better get a sample of that for (whatever widget you need it for).... oh, that didn't give me a sample.. not did that one, wth my device is out of charges now.

You're tracking a mobile enemy on the planet surface... you see his signal disappear, suggesting they've gone into an underground bunker which blocks any signal emission from their equipment. You drop your ship at the surface where they were last detected, land and find..... nothing.

See why i have no confidence or desire for Odyssey and space legs with the current state of the game? These are all scenarios I'd love to get excited by but have recast current issues with the game against how they would affect Odyssey if they went by unaddressed.

History tells me these won't get fixed as part of Odyssey either. Hell, FCs update reintroduced some of these.

And that's without going near the problem of these activities still likely to be pretty worthless compared to mining or it's unbalanced cousins.
I'll just agree to disagree.

I've never played a game that's had all bugs fixed before new content was released and never played a game where no new content was released because bugs were outstanding.

And every game I've played, to varying extents, have fixed legacy bugs from previous builds.

I don't think what you want exists. But I know what I want does. But, what should happen is fdev attempt to fix issues concurrently with all development.

I agree that, history tells us, quite a lot of old issues don't get addressed by fdev. This doesn't mean they cannot be fixed. I also agree that it's practically impossible to release new content consistently without introducing new issues and that tends to detract from a developer's ability/focus to fix old ones.

But Fdev aren't the definition of all developers. What they do or dont do doesn't define what could be done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom