Elite Dangerous (incl. Horizons) will be free to keep via Epic store from 19th November (offer available for a week)

Greetings Commanders,

For new players picking up Elite Dangerous today on Epic, we have some handy Support Guides here:
  1. Account Help for new Elite players from the Epic Games Store
  2. Link your Frontier account to your Epic Games account
  3. How do I log into Elite Dangerous through the Epic Games Launcher
However if you are experiencing any issues that cannot be resolved by following these, please use this link to submit a ticket! Thanks
i have linked accounts (albeit a new account i created with the new email address) the launcher can be seen in the background greeting me but it also says 'the game requires an update before i run it - go to options for ED and choose verify..... i have done this on numerous occasions now and it just goes to the same stage each time

EDIT/ADDITION: ok so i tried to bypass the epicgames launcher by going direct to the edlaunch.exe in the new instal location, entered my login details and it's asking me to purchase/redeem ED to continue??

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders,

For new players picking up Elite Dangerous today on Epic, we have some handy Support Guides here:
  1. Account Help for new Elite players from the Epic Games Store
  2. Link your Frontier account to your Epic Games account
  3. How do I log into Elite Dangerous through the Epic Games Launcher
However if you are experiencing any issues that cannot be resolved by following these, please use this link to submit a ticket! Thanks
What some (or many) of us would like to know is: How to log in on the ED launcher with our Epic account log-in without needing to launch the Epic launcher.

Also, why is it downloading the whole game again, even if we specify the folder that currently has the game installed? Why is it not skipping past everything it doesn't need to download?

EDIT: Yes I realise that may be an Epic store question.

Last edited:
Downloaded and installed in Epic Store, but it fails to launch, keeps saying it needs an update, but there's no update available, verifies succesfully...

Working for anyone else?

Bought two titles from EGS, satisfactory being one at the beginning of lockdown when the steam launch was going to be bumped further and breakpoint which was £6 thanks to a sale and a freebie triggering a voucher. The latter title only needed to give me the key for uplay and the former hasn't been too bad for an indev title allowing installs of both the normal and test versions as different entities.

Epics launcher is at best a really bad web browser. If it decides to update a game it will try and use every scrap of bandwidth it can sink its teeth into to such an extent that opening the launcher to see whats going on will show you a black window with a small loading bar.

You can however play games without using the launcher by digging around into the games directory and making a shortcut (did that for remnant: from the ashes to bypass a 13gig update) so I'd guess you can do the same thing for ED.

As an aside!

HCS are doing a freebie voicepack for voice attack to coincide with the promo on epic. Last I saw it was either going to be leo or kate, hoping for leo so expecting it to be kate. Voice attack will still need to be purchased but is dirt cheap and pretty awesome for what it does.

Downloaded and installed in Epic Store, but it fails to launch, keeps saying it needs an update, but there's no update available, verifies succesfully...

Working for anyone else?
When you start the launcher it says that there might be slight delay between update on Frontier servers and Epic. I guess we just need to wait a bit, because Epic doesn't have today's update yet.

When you start the launcher it says that there might be slight delay between update on Frontier servers and Epic. I guess we just need to wait a bit, because Epic doesn't have today's update yet.
I don't understand the logic. unless they wanted to just frustrate people and to also make themselves look incompetent . way to go frontier

Well, that doesn't work. I followed the steps to the letter only to be told I need to Purchase the game to continue sigh

I've linked accounts, entered the verification code and the launcher isn't working properly.

Why is such a simple thing so flaky?

Edit: I try to close the Launcher and it tells me to complete the linking process in my Browser first...that was done (so I thought) and the tab was closed.

Scoob.

yes, I've reset my password, linked the account, logged out "machine" in the frontier launcher, but whenever I try to login with my new account, it just asks for the verification code. I've entered this about 5 times, it keeps sending me new ones, but I just go round and round in loops... :(

yes, I've reset my password, linked the account, logged out "machine" in the frontier launcher, but whenever I try to login with my new account, it just asks for the verification code. I've entered this about 5 times, it keeps sending me new ones, but I just go round and round in loops... :(

Is it telling you to purchase the game? It is me! I followed the instructions to the letter, am using my new Frontier credentials in the Frontier launcher and it won't let me in. This is an utter mess! Must be some server-side issue or something.

I'm now being told I need an update, so the game isn't even getting as far as prompting me for my Frontier credentials sigh

Edit: I love how the Epic Client is telling me I've played ED for 11 minutes...erm, NOPE, can't even run it due to errors.

Scoob.

Last edited:
It gets even better. Having completely failed to login with my new epic-linked frontier account. I tried to login with my primary account.

This failed, so I reset THAT password too. verified I can login to the frontier store ok, but I can't login to play Elite with either account now... Good Job Frontier and Epic...

Update - having tried from the epic launcher again, I can see the Frontier launcher greyed out in the background, with what looks like a "purchase" button where the launch button normally is.

Update 2 - managed to login with my primary account again, I'm guessing the Frontier servers are struggling with the amount of people making a new account? They're aware of an issue with the Epic launcher according to a FAQ I saw following Stepen's link below.

Last edited:
I have downloaded and installed the epic games ED, already owning ED Horizons - since beta...
As my email address in epic matches, basically the only option I got was to link my accounts. Now I want to use the Epic account to start a fresh, without wiping my main account, does anyone have any idea - how I can actually have 2 accounts, my old one - with all my stuff, and the new Epic one - with a sidewinder?

I have downloaded and installed the epic games ED, already owning ED Horizons - since beta...
As my email address in epic matches, basically the only option I got was to link my accounts. Now I want to use the Epic account to start a fresh, without wiping my main account, does anyone have any idea - how I can actually have 2 accounts, my old one - with all my stuff, and the new Epic one - with a sidewinder?

You'll need to make a new Frontier account, using a different email address, and then "link" that account to your Epic account version.

This, in theory will work (once they fix the "needs an update" problem that they are currently denying exists.

Top Bottom