Elite is a convoluted mess

Sounds like the OP is yet another noob throwing his toys out his pram because the game is not EXACTLY the way he wants it.
Another member of the 'instant gratification' club.

He's had the game all of 5 minutes and thinks he's qualified enough to come on here to tell us how bad it is.

Idiot.

What makes u any more qualified?
Ur opinion is worth dirt

I came across someone like OP a while ago. The guy simply refused to pay attention and learn, then ended up blaming the game for things he just didn't understand. He quit too.
He didn't, however, go through the trouble of finding the forums, creating a user and then writing a long post telling people that he's quitting. That's next level.
The thing is, the ops experience is still new player feedback and some part of it is just as valid as any other. The problem with it is that it's pretty clear that even if all of the things the op disliked were changed, you can't see that they'd then suddenly enjoy the game. The gap between where the game is and where the game would need to be looks vast. Vast enough to render their feedback relatively pointless.

The key binding thing is a no win situation for starters. The binding could be housed under FSS or Mode Switch because it's both. I didn't find it in FSS and so went right to Mode Switch because I knew it'd be in either one.

2 hours is obviously an exaggeration though. Likely added for emphasis because the op has no time for setting stuff up. Which I understand. But there's the gap right there. A flight sim will have similarly complicated binds. If I just wanted to play an arcade type game I'd be pretty turned off by that requirement. But I'm reasonable enough to not see it as a major flaw.

The key binds menu is as good as it could possibly be. Nothing could have made it better for the op except to invalidate the idea that there's a specific section for switching modes (50% chance that'd upset someone else).

From there on, it's all about the ops lack of understanding which is something that isn't uncommon. A huge amount of the game requires research. But the game's tutorial does prompt you around 3 times to check out the pilot's handbook. I'm guessing they'd at least have worked out what collector limpets are by doing that.

I still feel there could be more game to info connectivity in the game. In lots of places. I haven't watched/played all the in game tutorials since beta (I believe they're better) but I'm certain none of them give you nearly half of the massive wealth of data you need to get a handle on things.

I'd personally never start by mining. As easy as it's said to be (an opinion easily expressed from a point of experience), from a new player perspective there are so, so many moving parts to the end to end process. I can imagine that'd mess me up as a brand new player. But sure enough, it's there as a mission from the get go. It's also the meta.

Back in beta, the meta was trading. I'd never wish the game to revert to those simplistic times but that was so much easier to ease into the game with.

The game's new player experience is so much better these days. I've tried it with a free account. A million miles apart from beta or even pre-horizons.

But I can't see how it could ever be good enough for someone like the op. So not really worth bothering to try based on their feedback, much of which just cannot be changed to make the game better anyway.

I agree with everything you posted apart from:

A 'search' option would go a long way with those options ... when you know there is an option but cannot find it 👿
Yeh, agreed. I didn't qualify that well though. I meant in the context of being enough to make the game good enough for the op.

As I said, valid feedback is in there. But I doubt anything but a massive rewrite of the entire game would satisfy them.

Some of the shareholders are players. And yes, I care about the player base, where does the money come from?
Well, if you think they care about someone who already paid money and become another number you would be very disappointed. They care about new comers only, this is what generates money. Not me or you playing for a while. There is only small chance we will add to the income (maybe by accident you decide to get some skins via ARX). What player becomes after purchasing the game is liability... Nobody likes that... Players have demands, nasty comments, voice in a social media, more nasty comments, demands... You catch the drift...

Most new players that get ED (especially if it is FREE!) will try it out and then uninstall it, this game is complicated and convoluted, it contains really stupid design concepts but it is what it is! I am an avid player, I've been playing this game since it was released and even in the early days of the BBC model B when it was just called Elite, and yes I found it really difficult at first, got killed and crashed many times and felt like uninstalling on numerous occasions, but perserverance or stubborness paid off, I'm now sat in my engineered Cargo Cutter with 32 billion credits, 1 x Federal Corvette . 2 x Anaconda's, 1 x extra Mining Cutter, 1 x Python and a Diamondback Explorer. I have tried out the Carriers 4 times, last one was de-commisioned yesterday, just can't find a valid use for them whilst mining is nerfed. But I personally have enjoyed the game although possibly not in a fun way, but I understand the OP's frustration, I too fail to see why certain control systems are so complicated and even now have problems sometimes remembering a key combination or losing my hotas config. so don't be too hard on new players, it takes a certain type of mind set to play ED, it is not an instaneous satisfaction type of game, it takes time to appreciate the work that has gone in to it.

I hope when you leave you'll take with you the other ton of noobs that got in game lately,and please close the door! Crash Bandicoot is the way to go.. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Bet u cant even play Crash Bandicoot
In fact,my 9 yo nephew does it usually,it's for babies :cool: I want to add that fools like you should not be allowed to browse the net,they can harm themselves.

I still feel there could be more game to info connectivity in the game. In lots of places. I haven't watched/played all the in game tutorials since beta (I believe they're better) but I'm certain none of them give you nearly half of the massive wealth of data you need to get a handle on things.

I started an alt in last December, post their revamp of starter sections.
The new player experience is really nice compared with what it was in November 2018 when i first stated the game (on XB)

But i doubt the OP payed much attention to that. And to them tutorials.
And even if he did... most of his objections are related to the fact that he has to do things to get results... Instead of the results being served to him on a silver plate.

Can you imagine my what the hell reverse moment when I shot asteroids in NMS and the fragments simply flew to my ship and placed themselves in my cargo hold?
:D I just recently did a few hours of NMS again, and that "oh man, I've shot these rocks for 3 minutes and already have 250 tritium. In ED it'd be 3 hours."

In fact,my 9 yo nephew does it usually,it's for babies :cool: I want to add that fools like you should not be allowed to browse the net,they can harm themselves.
Im all for gettin Boomers out of the net rather, they harm others as they dont understand how it works with different opinions and all that.
And props to your Nephew, he has more skill than you

Don't worry OP, I hear that Space Invaders will be free on the Epic Store next month. Hopefully that'll be simple enough for you.

iu

Top Bottom