ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey HUD Breakdown

The radar worries me.
Showing enemy locations will remove any stealth in the FPS combat gameplay.
I understand we would have the tech to do that. However we would also have the tech to counter/jam it and so would the enemy.

From past experience, for game play purposes, showing only same team and objectives is better.
The same should apply to the Floating Name tag, it should only show over same team.
Nothing worse than using the radar to find someone or finding them because the name tag pops up. Or being the person found because of radar or name tag popup.

Great info and great news FDev.
I used to have great fun in system-linked Halo 2 games due to my mates relying quite heavily on the radar - they didn’t realise crouch-walking made me move slowly enough that I didn’t show up on their scopes. Things got even more fun once they did and we all starting stealthing around 😁

Something like that might be cool for Odyssey.

Suddenly I understand a bit more about the possible motivation behind "hey guys isn't it cool we made it so you can play Odyssey and get from place to place without EVER getting into a boring old spaceship!"

Possibly it's to allow people to play for larger discrete blocks of time without having to switch between input devices?

That’s the dumbest response I’ve heard to a genuine question about the playability of Odyssey on consoles.

Is the idea not supposed to be seamless transition between Ship/SRV/Feet.

You shouldn’t have to stick to one gameplay loop until you feel sufficient time has passed that it’s worth going through the effort of swapping controllers, going into settings and changing button binds to custom settings in order to enjoy another part of the game.

As far as I’m aware the PC version allows for an almost infinite amount of devices to be connected to your hardware so you can have Hotas/Mouse & Keyboard/etc.

The console version only accepts ONE input device at a time and seeing as FDev have spent the last few years with their official endorsement plastered all over the ONLY Hotas you can get for consoles and all the time and effort they’ve gone to adding FPS action to the game (which is played using a control pad on consoles) you think they’d add two controller support or at the very least acknowledge they are aware of the issue.

I used to have great fun in system-linked Halo 2 games due to my mates relying quite heavily on the radar - they didn’t realise crouch-walking made me move slowly enough that I didn’t show up on their scopes. Things got even more fun once they did and we all starting stealthing around 😁

Something like that might be cool for Odyssey.

The radar huds are a great tool for keeping formation and knowing where team m8s are locally. As a simplistic Blue force tracking.
They just really cheapen gameplay when they show enemies in real time.
Need more info on if they will always show enemy or not. Which I am sure the devs will supply or we will find out at the first testing of it ingame.
Im just putting forward my worries on the matter :)

As always though with Elite if the radar does make the PVP of the combat too simplistic, I will just avoid the PVP :)

Need more info on if they will always show enemy or not. Which I am sure the devs will supply or we will find out at the first testing of it ingame.
Hopefully this will get mentioned in the next Dev diary - isn’t it guessed to be the combat one?

With the VR option in Odyssey will we still have head tracking? so you can look around like in the ships, whilst on the ground.

Last edited:
Hopefully this will get mentioned in the next Dev diary - isn’t it guessed to be the combat one?
Hopefully it will resemble the map/radar from other FPSs, contacts get flagged upon firing within range, but remain either stationary dots on the map or moving but disappear after few secs...

The radar huds are a great tool for keeping formation and knowing where team m8s are locally. As a simplistic Blue force tracking.
They just really cheapen gameplay when they show enemies in real time.

As always though with Elite if the radar does make the PVP of the combat too simplistic, I will just avoid the PVP :)
Well in the latest released screenshots, it showed enemies in the radar. Look at the one where the player is shooting an enemy with a pistol, and the enemy's buddies are all taking cover behind him. All of them are visible in the radar, including an enemy who hasn't appeared around the corner yet.

Simply awesome.

Yet, two main questions I believe (but might just have overseen) are not yet answered.

What are the mechanics/consequences of a player dying in combat (or exploring if exploring on foot)?
For ships we land in emergency pods but don't die, just rebuy.
On foot a little bit trickier to say you are revived if being killed. So how and with which consequences on progress/historic achievements/mission/data portfolio?

Second - what is the impact of on foot missions on BGS? Same like ship missions/trade/data/...?

Other than that - we want it!
Now!
;-)

Simply awesome.

Yet, two main questions I believe (but might just have overseen) are not yet answered.

What are the mechanics/consequences of a player dying in combat (or exploring if exploring on foot)?
For ships we land in emergency pods but don't die, just rebuy.
On foot a little bit trickier to say you are revived if being killed. So how and with which consequences on progress/historic achievements/mission/data portfolio?

Second - what is the impact of on foot missions on BGS? Same like ship missions/trade/data/...?

Other than that - we want it!
Now!
;-)
Maybe all activities on foot are in Ironman mode, if you die your commander dies and you start over with nothing.

The radar worries me.
Showing enemy locations will remove any stealth in the FPS combat gameplay.
I understand we would have the tech to do that. However we would also have the tech to counter/jam it and so would the enemy.

From past experience, for game play purposes, showing only same team and objectives is better.
The same should apply to the Floating Name tag, it should only show over same team.
Nothing worse than using the radar to find someone or finding them because the name tag pops up. Or being the person found because of radar or name tag popup.

Great info and great news FDev.

Silent 'walking' ?

On the whole stealth matter, if you look at the top section of the suit power section (12). On the far left of it There seams to be an eye icon. Could it be that the suit has a kind of cloaking device?

Probably like silent running, it probably turns off your shields and switches on emergency oxygen I'd imagine so you can only use it sparingly with drawbacks.

With the VR option in Odyssey will we still have head tracking? so you can look around like in the ships, whilst on the ground.

Nopes... as said in the description... when you go on foot, VR will change from 3D to a 2D image projected in your headset. It will be equal to playing on foot parts on a regular monitor without any form of tracking.

Top Bottom