ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey HUD Breakdown

Hi, I'm a relatively new commander in the elite dangerous world, but I've always had an interest in a specific type of gameplay, that I've never really been able to find, that gameplay being interplanetary (like, going to different systems/planets and landing on them) bounty hunting (hunting people down, killing or capturing them, and taking them back to my employer for a reward) but I've never been able to find something like this that isn't just a close ended game that ends up with the gameplay not being an open-ended or satisfying experience. Which is why, I think that with odyssey there's a prime opportunity for there to be a capitalization on mandalorian-like bounty hunting gameplay, with just a new type of mission or a new mission giver all together that just gives out bounties to go and kill a certain individual or group of individuals and bring them back for a reward, that being the regular types of rewards that are already present in elite as we know it. So, my Main Question is: will it be possible for commanders to take to the stars to live out their bounty hunting dreams similarly to how I've described in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey? Thank you so much if you do see and answer this question, Have a good day 😁

i think it could be possible, but nothing is confirmed yet.
if you haven't watched this is the Discovery scanners where developers give some hints and tiny detals on how missions are going to be here it is.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGvS3uYSxZc&t=3455s

Hi, I'm a relatively new commander in the elite dangerous world, but I've always had an interest in a specific type of gameplay, that I've never really been able to find, that gameplay being interplanetary (like, going to different systems/planets and landing on them) bounty hunting (hunting people down, killing or capturing them, and taking them back to my employer for a reward) but I've never been able to find something like this that isn't just a close ended game that ends up with the gameplay not being an open-ended or satisfying experience. Which is why, I think that with odyssey there's a prime opportunity for there to be a capitalization on mandalorian-like bounty hunting gameplay, with just a new type of mission or a new mission giver all together that just gives out bounties to go and kill a certain individual or group of individuals and bring them back for a reward, that being the regular types of rewards that are already present in elite as we know it. So, my Main Question is: will it be possible for commanders to take to the stars to live out their bounty hunting dreams similarly to how I've described in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey? Thank you so much if you do see and answer this question, Have a good day 😁
I like that! And actually think it could have been available already on the current game with "just only" one little thing added: on criminal destruction the game could just spawn an occupied escape pod, flagged as wanted. You pick it up and bring it back to a station for a bonus on the bounty, giving it to the security office like you do with the rescue office.

And yes, would be great if it happens on foot too!

Yes I'm very worried about this as a HOTAS console player.. They HAVE to introduce multi control use or FPS gameplay will be horrendous for anyone who plays like me.
I'm not going to be able to play Odyssey otherwise.

On the ship's HUD is always that fixed reddish orange color, and to change you have to buy or have a large amount of arx, which is ironic compared to the hud in combat mode in space legs that looks like an art painting of so much color. 🤔
Nothing against Frontier, I am not speaking ill or offending, it is only a deep reflection in certain perspectives🤔

On the ship's HUD is always that fixed reddish orange color, and to change you have to buy or have a large amount of arx, which is ironic compared to the hud in combat mode in space legs that looks like an art painting of so much color. 🤔
Nothing against Frontier, I am not speaking ill or offending, it is only a deep reflection in certain perspectives🤔
Another player who has never heard of this being possible, it has been fantasised about a lot in some of the forums and there is a way for commanders on PC to hack some of the files to change the fixed colour with various degrees of success, but a legitimate way that can be done with FDevs help for real money no.

The lighting, weapon models, and environment look great. At first glance the hud feels disjointed and somewhat tacked on. The ammo display for instance seems intended to be one size fits all. Having the ammo display integrated into the weapon model with rounds remaining and reloads remaining shown with graphical icons rather than numbers. What matters is not that i have exactly 10 or 15 rounds left, but rather if i need to reload soon. (with modern fps reload mechanics is anyone really waiting for the last round to be spent to reload?) To know this i need to easily see roughly what percent of the mag is used.

The gui elements seem rather spread out, and the compass seems way too large. Shrinking the compass (or integrating it with the mini map ) to make room for the health indicator at the top would be nice.

Some of the text seems overly small.

Mixing pseudo curved and non curved projections for various gui items rarely looks good.

There does not seem to be health/ammo info integrated into the reticle. This would be a nice to have considering how spread out the info/gui is at present.

It would be interesting to see how comms are handled. Is it going to be audio only with yes/no (or similar) responses via hotkey?

The above quote gets it right I very much agree. This were my first thoughts when I saw the images that intoduced the HUD elements in the FPS part: After a long hiatus I will give Odyssey a try and looking foreward to it. The gameplay and sound-design looks promising the HUD design however is way too gamy imo. For a space game bound to a certain realism this type of colourful informative HUD seems not fitting e.g. health is shown in numbers, there´s an ammo count (on any weapon?) too much information above other players heads (hopefully not NPC´s) . Radar is fine as well as the information bar which tells you about environmental conditions but takes up too much space. Everything else especially the bottom left corner looks like an action game from the 00. This includes the colouring of the suits and guns. Why not keep the basic model of colouring from the holographic cockpit in ships which is very fine? One main colour and its complenentary colour for most of the elements. Right now the FPS HUD is mixed together from the whole colouring spectrum.

I have a game in steam. If I will buy Odyssey DLC in Epic games store, can I link this DLC on my Frontier account?

HUD would be heavenly if modular and fully customizable to users content

with the ability to add relevant but unnecessary readout options? Also for ships

FDEV, don't forget the sound feedback in FPS mode.
Bullets hitting enemy, ricochets, footsteps, etc.
Weapons need to feel and sound "heavy", not just pew-pew like a water pistol. :D
Yes yes, so many shooters fail this with a PhD. When shooting itself feels good and timing and punch comes though its bliss!

2. Suit Power - Shows current capacity and level of suit power charge. This also has icons that show the suit functions which are causing power drain.

What happens when the suit energy runs out? Will it be a Space Engineers type deely, where your suit lights turn off, your oxygen eventually starts to deplete and your life starts to disappear.

I wonder if in the future this will mirror what happened in Warhammer 40K?

Originally Space Hulk had Genestealers then as the years went by we got a whole race of Tyranids. I think if we found out there was a little more to the Tyranids than what we see now would be great.

Rescue missions where you had to go into burning hulks to rescue trapped personnel - and found something else was there too! A little removed from the game now (and first person shooters make me nauseous! :p ), but that would be pretty cool.

I missed this news, what do you mean you can change ship HUD colour with arx?
It requires a lot of Arx ... enough to purchase a majority stake in FD. Then you are in a position to direct the dev effort, and the ship HUD color could be your first priority. I can do it myself, but I need help. Send donations 🤑

Top Bottom