What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

@markun it looks much better now. Can I please see it from the other side?

Just to stress, the more simple version is the remade one. I'm trying to make a realistic zoo and a large building like that isn't right for this zoo.

50732015428_958403fd08_c.jpg

50732015533_87cf4e1c4b_c.jpg

50732843207_704d12beaf_c.jpg

50732746786_f17e0b3f90_c.jpg

It was Hippo Day at my Let's Get Wet park, (franchise zoo where I'm learning water mechanics and breeding aquatic animals for eventual placement in one of my prettier zoos). I managed to get in both the pygmy hippos and the large hippos, on opposite sides of the park. The pygmies have ground level viewing and also an elevated aquarium style viewing. The large hippos have part of their habitat with a bridge over for above viewing, and then it dips down to an underwater tunnel viewing that connects to the crocodiles. I also moved some juvenile gharials from my other zoo to this one, in the hopes that they'll age up in time to release some for the community challenge.

I'm finding the otters the hardest to breed among the new dlc pack, (or said differently, the others have been much easier to breed). I may look into dividing them up into multiple habitats, so they have a chance to have more than one alpha couple. My penguins and caimans, on the other hand, have babies everywhere! So I may start moving them toward gold-ranked only soon.

And as I was logging off, I got a litter notification and realized that I hadn't placed any trash bins in any of the new areas. Rookie mistake, that I'll fix tomorrow.

Felt like working on something new today. I was planning on either doing a Scandinavian Taiga Zoo or American Desert Zoo. I like building within some kind of theme.
If I went with the Taiga I would have a reason to play around with the seals, but in the end I felt more inspired for the desert.

When starting something new, the tricky thing is always the entrance. If it doesn't work out all your motivation might drop to the ground.
Luckily I feel like this is some of my better work when it comes to entrances. I kept it simple.

-Does the name of the park look odd or does it make sense?

Seems like Dryland(s) is often written in one word, but I tought it would look more catchy like this. Apparently there is a movie called 'The Dry Land', so I guess I am not completely off.

The Dry Lands entrance.jpg

@markun I actually love the simple version much more. Love realistic zoos (even if my project isn't one, but I'm planning to do a realistic zoo as well).

Pros of realistic zoos: The backstage will coun towards the space requirements, so that the show area doesn't need to be as big. The challenge then is, to make the show area more attractive to the animals, so that they are mostly there :)

You definitely wouldn't want to see how bad I'm at drawing
Don't make yourself bad! you don't have to be an artist for that. i draw everything from above, not really detailed, on a quad paper and every square is for the 4x4m panel.

@markun oh my gosh! this looks so amazing! Thank you for sharing this to us! it looks so real, i can't believe it!

@markun oh my gosh! this looks so amazing! Thank you for sharing this to us! it looks so real, i can't believe it!

Thanks! I actually made a change and lowered the height of the building. It looks a bit too big compared with the size of the keepers. That’s an issue I often have.

Logged in intending to spend the evening aging up juvenile animals to release for the community challenge. But I got distracted and spent the time playing with rocks and foliage instead! I only released 5 animals, but I've now got a small entrance pond, a foliage back drop for my hippos, and a rock face back drop for my seals. Maybe tomorrow I'll be more disciplined and stick to the plan, but I have no regrets about tonight.

I actually started on an idea which might become an entry to the "Aquatic Haven" competition. "Started" means I screamed at my monitor because of obstructed barriers, obstructed paths and water bodies not able to be replaced again. :LOL: Of course, I had to come up with something ambitious which I've never built before. Let's see how patient I am. Unfortunately, tomorrow is my last day of playing until after New Year, so hopefully I'll make it to the deadline.

I'd really like to add another viewing area to my penguins so guests can overlook the water, but the only space I have for that would be close to the backstage area. While I'm mulling that over I decided to start my African section on the other side of the zoo, beginning with a big herbivore habitat which will be for giraffes, zebras, ostriches, and probably wildebeest. I'm also planning three smaller habitats for the gemsbok, bongo, and okapi, and then a carnivore area for lions, cheetah, hyenas, and the wild dogs, and finally a primate area with gorillas and mandrills.

I've started to build a Rope Roof (due to us not having Mesh Roof Pieces) for the Mandrill Outdoor Enclosure. I would love to open the Primate House soon but I need to research first if it is possible to plant a Mandrill Enclosure because at least other big Primates often seem to destroy Foliage in their Enclosure. Maybe something more robust like Bamboo 🤔
I think I've seen somewhere a planted Enclosure either with Drills or Mandrills but that was Years ago, so I'm not completely sure

I made some progress with my habitat and learned a lot about terraforming and rockwork. And I'm super proud that I managed to have a smooth water line and not this ugly steep thing that happened to me with all previous creations. This time, I was extra careful not to obstruct anything when removing and replacing the water. I'm hooked, I hope I'll finish that one on time!

I've started to build a Rope Roof (due to us not having Mesh Roof Pieces) for the Mandrill Outdoor Enclosure. I would love to open the Primate House soon but I need to research first if it is possible to plant a Mandrill Enclosure because at least other big Primates often seem to destroy Foliage in their Enclosure. Maybe something more robust like Bamboo 🤔
I think I've seen somewhere a planted Enclosure either with Drills or Mandrills but that was Years ago, so I'm not completely sure
The Mandrill enclosures I saw have actually pretty dense foliage, if I remember correctly.

The Mandrill enclosures I saw have actually pretty dense foliage, if I remember correctly.
Thanks. Then I'll add some Plants in Areas that are also reachable by the Animals. I think after that there isn't much Work left until I can finally open the Primate House

Edit: it looks absolutely great now

Last edited:
Kind of rushed two habitats for okapi and bongo. Think when I'm back into the game I'll clear them both and redo them - I was going for something basic but I ended up making it somehow look both 'low budget' and 'high budget' at the same time. I want the area to look like a newer addendum to the African section so I'm planning on going more 'high budget' with it.

Other than that, I finished off the main herbivore habitat (ended up doing giraffes, zebras, ostriches, and sable antelope) and then an African buffalo habitat behind it. Then the game flagged up that I had no ATM's so I've got to do something about that as well, and probably put in a couple more toilet blocks.

Hello, I wanted to test an underwater path that goes straight to the bottom.

So get to the stamping tool, make a little hill, as the path should run and get to the design of the path.

Of course this is still to test how big the earth block has to be so that it is really torn down.

But now people need goggles and snorkels if they want to go along the path ... as I easily got off the track.

But the water surface has not blocked!

Attachments

• 20201220120205_1.jpg
    20201220120205_1.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201220115727_1.jpg
    20201220115727_1.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 139
Community Challenge final day for me, and I managed to stay on track enough to release 50 aquatic animals. (Mostly caimans and gharials -- which finally aged up!).

Along the way, I played around a bit with the new waterfall blocks, and spent way too much time painting the terrain for my hippos in a way that's supposed to match the hills and presumptive stomping patterns throughout their enclosure. When finished, the giant waterfall will serve as the backdrop for the hippos, Since they need lots of space, I'm hoping that it will serve as a focal point, and I'm trying to place it in a way that guests can see it from multiple viewing spots.

Community Challenge final day for me, and I managed to stay on track enough to release 50 aquatic animals. (Mostly caimans and gharials -- which finally aged up!).

Along the way, I played around a bit with the new waterfall blocks, and spent way too much time painting the terrain for my hippos in a way that's supposed to match the hills and presumptive stomping patterns throughout their enclosure. When finished, the giant waterfall will serve as the backdrop for the hippos, Since they need lots of space, I'm hoping that it will serve as a focal point, and I'm trying to place it in a way that guests can see it from multiple viewing spots.
Sounds awesome. I would love it to see this giant Waterfall.

I do also need to get the Community Challenge finished. At the Beginning everything worked fine but then the Offspring of the Caimans didn't have Genetics that are good enough

Top Bottom