New Odyssey Article - more on planet generation

Planet tech info from Dr Ross:

Where before we had a generator for rocky surfaces and one for ice surfaces which both took Stellar Forge inputs, we now have terrains and terrain materials of various different types and scales which are deterministically selected and blended together depending on the Stellar Forge driven properties of that planet.​
Landable planets are still classified between rocky, icy, rocky ice, high metal content and metal rich depending on what emerges from the Stellar Forge simulation, but their terrains are dependent on those simulation values more than these discrete titles. Terrain shapes, styles, and combinations are mixed together, meaning there is a lot of variation within these classes.​
As with everything in Elite Dangerous, the planets are full sized, and so it is a challenge to ensure that the resources we make work on all scales, work with each other, and provide detail all the way from orbit to the surface. I think we’ve done a grand job selling the scale of these things.​
Across a planet there is now a large scale mask processed which determines different zones of types of terrain based. The mask depends on things like how gravitationally stressed the planet is, the crust thickness and if the planet is, or has been, tectonically active. These zones mask out further subzones of terrain and material types, and follow the flow patterns laid out by the layer above it, creating a seamless landscape across the planet.​
Always reliable for my copy pasta needs thanks.

Edit: ignore everything written below

Am I right in saying this appears to suggest the work is done to support worlds other than just ice and rock? That, maybe not at launch, we can look forward to the metal content worlds being accessible as well?

I'm 99% sure there's been no mention of metal rich or high metal content worlds to this point (and they're definitely not landable now).

Last edited:

Am I right in saying this appears to suggest the work is done to support worlds other than just ice and rock? That, maybe not at launch, we can look forward to the metal content worlds being accessible as well?

I'm 99% sure there's been no mention of metal rich or high metal content worlds to this point (and they're definitely not landable now).
The way it's written says to me that Metal Rich and High Metal Content worlds are now among the landable types in Odyssey.

This is incorrect. There are landable HMCs now, as long as they have no atmosphere. I expect Odyssey to simply extend this to HMCs with light atmosphere, but it sounds like all landable planets will see some changes in terrain generation.

The way it's written says to me that Metal Rich and High Metal Content worlds are now among the landable types in Odyssey.
I know, that's how I read it. I just don't want to promote that just yet given it's not been explicitly confirmed (seems like new information to me).

Edit: I think it's just me do ignore what I've said.

Last edited:

I am sure that's wrong, I thought some airless ones were! Yes they are, Kyloall CL-Y g1518 D 1 is metal rich and landable so that's incorrect, here is the EDSM listing, it's clearly metal rich and clearly landable.

I am sure HMC's are landable also but I can't be bothered looking for an example.

This is incorrect. There are landable HMCs now, as long as they have no atmosphere. I expect Odyssey to simply extend this to HMCs with light atmosphere, but it sounds like all landable planets will see some changes in terrain generation.
I've not particularly seen one of these. Just rocky or icy so far. Interesting. But also confusing. Are they classified as rocky?

Definitely not metal rich worlds though?

Or am I wrong there too? None of this is making sense to me. I have always thought it's been (obviously airless) rocky or icy worlds.

I am sure that's wrong, I thought some airless ones were! Yes they are, Kyloall CL-Y g1518 D 1 is metal rich and landable so that's incorrect, here is the EDSM listing, it's clearly metal rich and clearly landable.

Ok fair enough.

Always had it in my head that it's just rocky or icy. Ignore me then.

Ok fair enough.

Always had it in my head that it's just rocky or icy. Ignore me then.

I'm not sure of the proportion of HMC/MR compared to icy and rocky landables, it's quite likely the former will have higher gravity and be more likely to have atmospheres, they will also form closer to stars so will often be hell worlds, but I suspect there are quite a few out there among the 400b systems we have to choose from!

I think there was some confusion because the first dev diary did mention rocky and icy planets but not HMC. I think this was just an oversight in the wording, I assumed it would be the same for tenuous atmospheres as airless in terms of the types of worlds, and this article seems to confirm it.

I think there was some confusion because the first dev diary did mention rocky and icy planets but not HMC. I think this was just an oversight in the wording, I assumed it would be the same for tenuous atmospheres as airless in terms of the types of worlds, and this article seems to confirm it.
I'd also suggest that it might just be me thinking "rocky" == rocky and not knowing that HMC and MR worlds are, I'm guessing, essentially rocky.

So, even though what I've said has inaccuracies, the good thing is this quotation, for me at least, has confirmed good news :)

Very interested in Apex. I really hope there are no timers involved, so it is basically a form of quick travel but without your ships. If the screen fades to black with a timer saying:"four hours till arrival." I will be a bit annoyed...

I'm mostly interesting in the way they seem to be re-jigging the planetary generation - at the moment on long SRV journeys <cough> circumnavigations <cough> they can get a bit .. same-y. This sounds like they are going to be more interesting. I really like the image on the cover of the mag - really pops :D

Yes, sounds like a move from categorical to dimensional modeling. :D

I'm mostly interesting in the way they seem to be re-jigging the planetary generation - at the moment on long SRV journeys <cough> circumnavigations <cough> they can get a bit .. same-y. This sounds like they are going to be more interesting. I really like the image on the cover of the mag - really pops :D

Yes this is what really interests me, it's likely we will see more colourful planets, different areas where different features are more likely to occur, volcanics and life, there was one particularly interesting bit where they discussed how terrain will vary depending on gravitational stress and crust thickness and that will determine what sort of minerals can be found what areas, even tectonically active areas, so it should be interesting to see how that works out.

Top Bottom