Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Those things are like catnip to me. I ever I got trapped inside the factory overnight you would have to roll me out in the morning
The British army did an advertising deal with Nestle for our very own choccie bar back in the 90's...I've still got some ration packs with the special edition Yorkie bars in them :)

4157563374_48a2b4440e_b.jpg

Our regiment, being 85% Scots, tried to get Tunnocks on board so we could advertise teacakes 'As scoffed by the British armed forces' kinda thing...for some reason they didn't buy it :D

Last edited:
Off topic - as a qualified accountant (ACMA/CGMA) who hasn't practiced for over thirty years due to a career change, I come out of retirement to help out with family accounts and wills. My experience of HMRC is very positive. As an example, my father had brain cancer, unwittingly destroying all his paperwork and didn't bother to sort out my mothers finances which I inherited after he passed. I then had to deal with my late mother for the next seven years who was scatty about her finances. I will leave you to cogitate the complexity of working out the value of their estates for probate, it was not huge but nor was it chicken feed. I could not fault any of the various HMRC folks who I dealt with over those years working through the mess.

We do try our best. Some people won't always have a good experience with us; to a degree it's the nature of the beast, but we do try to make sure that if it happens, it's at least as a result of circumstances rather than active incompetence.

What's Crytek's angle for doing this?
Getting money in exchange of silence regarding what they knew about CIG and where about to reveal during the trial?

Now... What is the CryEngine version they got the perpetual license for? If it's for the one they're currently working with (set aside the Lumberyard "switch") well I don't get how it's "ensuring the business continues to be agile in developing its revolutionary technology", if it's for the last iteration of the engine CIG is good for years of migrating/reworking their "techs".

And I wonder what Amazon thinks of all this (though they quite never officially associated themselves with SC)

And once again the most open development ever never mentionned this new "switch".

Last edited:
Non-disclosure is a common theme in most court cases. Basically stops both sides bad mouthing each other but it's usually used as a tool to pay people off and keep them quiet.

"We'll pay you this as a settlement but only if you keep shtum about it"

I've been in that situation and you generally take whatever you can get at that point before the solicitors bleed you dry.

Getting money in exchange of silence regarding what they knew about CIG and where about to reveal during the trial?

Now... What is the CryEngine version they got the perpetual license for? If it's for the one they're currently working with (set aside the Lumberyard "switch") well I don't get how it's "ensuring the business continues to be agile in developing its revolutionary technology", if it's for the last iteration of the engine CIG is good for years of migrating/reworking their "techs".

And I wonder what Amazon thinks of all this (though they quite never officially associated themselves with SC)

And once again the most open development ever never mentionned this new "switch".

The idea among skeptics is they learned the actual state of SQ42 and thought, hell, this is years away yet (or maybe will never happen), let's just get CIG to pay us for a licence and call it a day.

A quote from AuraMaster7 from your link (said it better than me)
Crytek was soundly losing the legal battle, and swapped to settle out of court to try and pay less money to CIG. The perpetual license was likely a trade for not having to pay CIG’s legal fees, and it prevents Crytek from suing them over the engine at any point in the future.

And from Natalyia
CryTek attempted to dismiss their own suit claiming damages related to Squadron 42 because Squadron 42 hadn’t been released so they could refile and begin the circus again later.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
A quote from AuraMaster7 from your link (said it better than me)

And from Natalyia
I am afraid that makes little sense though. If CryTek was so soundly losing the lawsuit, which means that CIG was fully in its rights and could do with Lumberyard and their existing CryEngine license as it pleased for SC and SQ42, and could have even exacted a full penalty on CryTek for legal fees, why on earth would they want to have a totally unnecessary additional CryEngine license of all things, perpetual or otherwise, plus also forego the eventual CryTek legal fees penalty money?

The most likely actual answer is obvious: CryTek was probably not losing soundly the lawsuit at all.

Last edited:
I am afraid that makes little sense though. If CryTek was so soundly losing the lawsuit, which means that CIG was fully in its rights and could do with Lumberyard and their existing CryEngine license as it pleased for SC and SQ42, and could have even exacted a full penalty on CryTek for legal fees, why on earth would they want to have a totally unnecessary additional CryEngine license of all things, perpetual or otherwise, plus also forego the eventual CryTek legal fees penalty money?

The most likely actual answer is obvious: CryTek was probably not losing soundly the lawsuit at all.
Naaay. That's too logical. The backers will stick to "the kindness of Chris our Savior and His love for mankind" option.

Top Bottom