Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

And I didn't say the problem was in playerbase mixing (because, like I said before, people on airless planets would basically play Horizons, NOT Odyssey)
Though That's precisely one of the things you pointed at with:
Will a Horizons user on a SRV be able to meet an Odyssey user on foot on a planet with no atmosphere?
We are looking at this at the moment - more to follow soon.
I mean - there isn't a simpler question, isn't it?

but in making old planets suitable for on-foot exploration. For example overhaul of old settlements. That's a lot of work I imagine and maybe FDev wants to focus on new planets.
Excerpt from last PCGamer article:
To prepare for players going walkabout on its planets, Frontier is overhauling the technology that generates them. "We're doing some pretty significant updates to the planet technology," says Jackson. "The planets are getting a big new refresh. With the new settlements, we're also having to add a whole pile of new gameplay areas across the universe. Some of those will be deployed onto planets without atmospheres that players are currently able to explore, and others will appear on our new thin atmosphere planets."

So, some airless settlements will be overhauled to fit with Odyssey features ergo airless will allow on foot exploration like for atmospherics

Last edited:
Though That's precisely one of the things you pointed at with:
Excerpt from last PCGamer article:
So, some airless settlements will be overhauled to fit with Odyssey features ergo airless will allow on foot exploration like for atmospherics
I know what you mean about instancing but again: WHAT IF you won't be able to meet a player on foot BECAUSE he can't leave his ship ON FOOT? :)

The sentence you underlined might reffer to "new gameplay areas", not "new settlements". And "new gameplay areas" might reffer to interiors of spaceports. I never had any doubts those interiors will be added to them.

Again - I'm NOT saying there will be no new settlements on airless planets, nor we won't be able to walk on them. I'm saying FDev never explicitly said it will be possible, that's all.

Last edited:
The sentence you underlined might reffer to "new gameplay areas", not "new settlements". And "new gameplay areas" might reffer to interiors of spaceports. I never had any doubts those interiors will be added to them.
Are you joking!!!!? "Some of those [new gameplay areas] will be deployed onto planets without atmospheres" Where does it involve "interiors of spaceports"?!?

Ok enough, let's play it your way: give us facts proving walking on airless planets won't be available.

Are you joking!!!!? "Some of those [new gameplay areas] will be deployed onto planets without atmospheres" Where does it involve "interiors of spaceports"?!?
Ok enough, let's play it your way: give us facts proving walking on airless planets won't be available.

Aren't interiors of spaceports "new gameplay areas"??

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. If you claim something, it's YOUR job to prove it. :) This is how it works (in science, court of law etc).

Well, you're likely going to need to remember FPS controls, so WASD, space, and mouse movements are all standard, I'm pretty sure. (If not, frontier, might wanna fix it ASAP) But for other things, I'd recommend rebinding them yourself so you can easily access them. They mentioned something about being able to choose shield power, and I'm wondering if that's going to be a pip system like in the ships we have now, or if there's going to be a menu like the navigation panel, for the suit.

All pips to legs! Cheese it!

Well y'know it could work exactly like space stations are probably going to work. You dock your ship at the landing pad and then when you select "get out" from the menu, it plops you into some kind of interior space. There's no reason to assume that you'll be able to walk up to every surface site, knock on the door, have it open, and then you walk through it. It's very much within the realm of reason that there could be various FPS arenas and "levels" of various types which you fly to and then "enter" through a menu option.
You're just messing with us now, aren't you.

We are talking about the new settlements. They will be on the new planets, and the existing planets, tied to the local factions.

I mentioned SC because since the Odyssey was annouced, people are constantly comparing the two. I'd never hear about Star Citizen otherwise. :)
And I didn't say the problem was in playerbase mixing (because, like I said before, people on airless planets would basically play Horizons, NOT Odyssey) but in making old planets suitable for on-foot exploration. For example overhaul of old settlements. That's a lot of work I imagine and maybe FDev wants to focus on new planets.
The old settlements, davs hope etc, theres absolutely no suggestion so far that they are remotely similar to the NEW 'frontier town' style settlements that are being added to existing and new landable planets.

You're mixing and matching your fears into something weird.

The old settlements, davs hope etc, theres absolutely no suggestion so far that they are remotely similar to the NEW 'frontier town' style settlements that are being added to existing and new landable planets.

You're mixing and matching your fears into something weird.

That's not the issue. The issue are old settlements. Because surely there are places you can't ride into in SRV but will be able to walk in. Some corners for example unaccessible for SRV. If I understand correctly how spacelegs work, you will be able to land next to OLD settlement and walk in, just like you would in SRV. Also, those models are pretty old and were designed for SRV perspective. Are you sure they will look just as pretty, when you have a closer perspective?

I fear not, trust me. Like I said, I'll buy it anyway. I'm just curious and want to ask my question to FDev.

That's not the issue. The issue are old settlements. Because surely there are places you can't ride into in SRV but will be able to walk in. Some corners for example unaccessible for SRV. If I understand correctly how spacelegs work, you will be able to land next to OLD settlement and walk in, just like you would in SRV. Also, those models are pretty old and were designed for SRV perspective. Are you sure they will look just as pretty, when you have a closer perspective?

I fear not, trust me. Like I said, I'll buy it anyway. I'm just curious and want to ask my question to FDev.
No, we havent been shown any old settlements. As far as I know there has been no suggestion of being able to enter the old ones, famous places like davs hope or inra bases etc. What will be there on existing planets is new settlements, perhaps even new settlements replacing the old faction specific security mission targets etc, who knows.

But walking on current airless planets? Yes. New settlements of the type shown so far, with npcs and mission objectives etc? Yes.

No, we havent been shown any old settlements. As far as I know there has been no suggestion of being able to enter the old ones, famous places like davs hope or inra bases etc. What will be there on existing planets is new settlements, perhaps even new settlements replacing the old faction specific security mission targets etc, who knows.

But walking on current airless planets? Yes. New settlements of the type shown so far, with npcs and mission objectives etc? Yes.
I'll rephrase - walk around the old settlement, not actually enter into the buildings. But, like I said, there are plenty of corners SRV can't ride into because of it's size but a cmdr in spacesuit should be able to squeeze in. For example - walk (crawl?) UNDER the buildings of Dav's Hope (they are elevated).

I'll rephrase - walk around the old settlement, not actually enter into the buildings. But, like I said, there are plenty of corners SRV can't ride into because of it's size but a cmdr in spacesuit should be able to squeeze in. For example - walk (crawl?) UNDER the buildings of Dav's Hope (they are elevated).
Yeah, we don't know.

Confirmed (again) ;)

And, as we mentioned before, that means all the stars in our galaxy, the Milky Way. “We won’t be setting any limits here” stresses Hughes. “Elite Dangerous contains more than 400 billion star systems, and light-atmospheric worlds such as those opened up in Odyssey are found within many of them. Players will also be able to disembark their ships and SRVs [Surface Recon Vehicles] on the non-atmospheric worlds introduced in Horizons [the previous expansion], opening huge opportunities to understand those planets better than ever before.”

Confirmed (again) ;)

I'm curious if the current outposts will be updated on Horizons planets to include the new buildings and people wandering around. It's going to be strange going to lively settlements on an Odyssey planet and then going to those seemingly abandoned outposts on Horizons planets.

My apologies if this has already been addressed, but I would like to hope that, with planetary functions becoming more prominent, that the idea of planetary bookmarking is going to see implementation.

I would love to be able to waypoint a set of coordinates.

My apologies if this has already been addressed, but I would like to hope that, with planetary functions becoming more prominent, that the idea of planetary bookmarking is going to see implementation.

I would love to be able to waypoint a set of coordinates.

Sounds like a useful addition but would be a lot of ui work I guess if it's to be as extensive as the galactic map

Sounds like a useful addition but would be a lot of ui work I guess if it's to be as extensive as the galactic map
The current bookmark system incorporates a limit on how many bookmarks are allowed. The Engineers, planetary facilities, etc all have equivalent functions to the request. Those things are both already incorporated into the Galaxy Map.

If you use waypoints as opposed to bookmarks, it, at least, would provide a disposable method of navigation that would, presumably, be clientside/instance oriented.

Top Bottom