ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Console players should genuinely be happy about this. Not only will they avoid the harsh aftertaste they know now from CP2077 release, but also PC players will be effectively betatesting for them while Frontier will get swamped with new bugs and trying to pick the most critical ones (concerning Cr/h, of course).

I don't buy the COVID-19 excuse either, just have the guts to admit that you've slipped. IT world adapted the quickest to this whole work-from-home dynamic, and it seems that home office isn't particularly less effective than regular office - at least for many programmers that I know. Managers may cry ;-) In some cases, people even work better than before because they don't have the commute and maintain a better work-life balance thanks to that. YMMV. Oh, and the number of useless meetings went down ;-)

That's a... very peculiar reason for counting to the end of 2020 :ROFLMAO:

While I agree that COVID has had an impact, personally in my job as a developer, I agree with the home office comments. I love working from home and I've feel more productive due to less distractions. I don't miss the commute at all - within 10 minutes of me ending the work day, I'm eating dinner! I don't miss certain other issues about working in the office either. If I need to communicate, I use Teams and there are various online whiteboards out there to help share ideas and feedback.

If anything, when this COVID stuff is over, I'll be looking to work from home on a regular basis.

While I agree that COVID has had an impact, personally in my job as a developer, I agree with the home office comments. I love working from home and I've feel more productive due to less distractions. I don't miss the commute at all - within 10 minutes of me ending the work day, I'm eating dinner! I don't miss certain other issues about working in the office either. If I need to communicate, I use Teams and there are various online whiteboards out there to help share ideas and feedback.

If anything, when this COVID stuff is over, I'll be looking to work from home on a regular basis.
like in our company. developers' productivity has increased since they started working from home.

like in our company. developer productivity has increased since they work from home.

TRIPLE FACEPALM.jpg

This is one way to lose console players. It’s a huge mistake to release PC before Consoles. They should come out simultaneously even if it means a PC players need to wait a little bit longer. Either that or simply abandon consoles all together and allow people to transfer their accounts to PC. The fact is this game is definitely PC Centric. When you look at everything that’s available for players on the PC you quickly realize that console players are only really getting a fraction of the game.

In what way? What default gameplay features are missing from console?

The only thing missing are some of the 3rd party tools on PC - which wouldn't need to exist if that info was available in game anyway.

Seems reasonable and prudent to me to just release the update when it's 99.9% ready. Nothing is ever 100% on release, but certainly don't rush it. I just hope they have a lot of people testing it. FDEV has a way of changing and releasing things that make you wonder just what they were thinking, or playing? Baby steps FDEV!

Seems reasonable and prudent to me to just release the update when it's 99.9% ready. Nothing is ever 100% on release, but certainly don't rush it. I just hope they have a lot of people testing it. FDEV has a way of changing and releasing things that make you wonder just what they were thinking, or playing? Baby steps FDEV!

I see for that biggest reason in a lack of proper good and long enough alpha / beta testing since launch (think Horizon update had longer testing time than just couple weeks, but not certain), it certainly moved bug squashing at many updates into post-launch, so I hope now both alpha and beta test phases will be longer than even FD sees reasonable, just in case.

So, FD, let us (alpha/beta) testers do much of the job for you in finding bugs, doubt there is much to lose in it for you.
Just give us enough time.

AHHHHHHH!! That means we were so close!! Oh well. Really though I'd rather it be delayed than broken. Between my own small frustrations with the game and having been with Star Citizen for so long I'd rather see it done right. Haste makes waste as they say.

As a PC player who primarily does exploration, I would be 100% ok with the PC release being sync'd with the console release. I remember 2-2.5 years ago planning for weeks ahead of the update that added mapping to figure out exactly how to finally get my name on some cool things in the bubble (I started playing at a time when everything in the bubble was 'first discovered' and was very much looking forward to getting some tags of my own). Planning and then executing that plan, all while warring with the launch day/day after servers and getting several nice tags was extremely fulfilling and fun and I still enjoy most of those systems today and even made one of them my new home system when I'm in the Bubble.

Thinking about the new tags has already got me excited and thinking about doing another round of planning to do roughly the same thing. I have to say my own personal enjoyment of that process will be lessened somewhat with the knowledge that it's not going to be a fair process since so many players will be barred entirely from participating while I/we (PC players) go around tagging everything interesting in sight during the first few days of Odyssey. And with Fleet Carriers, I would expect a FC to be deployed at many/most of the super interesting deep space locations as well so it's not like console players can write off the bubble tagging and hope for deep space tags.

I don't think this was part of the decision making process to de-synchronize the PC/console release, and maybe it shouldn't have been because it is kind of a niche concern. I'm not upset at all over the delay in general, but I do feel for console players who care about engaging with the game by getting their names on trafficked locations because I will be eagerly engaging in that gameplay (as I did with mapping) and it will feel a bit hollow to know how many are being left out.

How much money is SC making with a very very protracted Alpha. Peeps keep paying. I know I played an ED Alpha in 2013 but has it just been Beta's since?

Fdev sincerely Thank you for the information and I hope you all remain safe and well.

I will personally not play it until it is released in any iteration :unsure:
Pug

1/2 the player base is console based
so why release 3 months early on 1/3 of you’re platform loyal customers
So you've given two different but wrong numbers for how many console players there are. One half of players are not console based and I don't know where you're getting that number. PC players (Steam + EGS) are the vast majority of Elite players.

Translation for you: βœŒπŸ˜‹ βœŒπŸ˜‹ βœŒπŸ˜‹ there βœŒπŸ˜‹ are βœŒπŸ˜‹ way βœŒπŸ˜‹ more βœŒπŸ˜‹ PC βœŒπŸ˜‹ players βœŒπŸ˜‹ than βœŒπŸ˜‹ console βœŒπŸ˜‹ players :p :D:p😁;):):cool::love::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)(y)

So you've given two different but wrong numbers for how many console players there are. One half of players are not console based and I don't know where you're getting that number. PC players (Steam + EGS) are the vast majority of Elite players.

Translation for you: βœŒπŸ˜‹ βœŒπŸ˜‹ βœŒπŸ˜‹ there βœŒπŸ˜‹ are βœŒπŸ˜‹ way βœŒπŸ˜‹ more βœŒπŸ˜‹ PC βœŒπŸ˜‹ players βœŒπŸ˜‹ than βœŒπŸ˜‹ console βœŒπŸ˜‹ players :p :D:p😁;):):cool::love::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)(y)
We looked at number before saying something like that you poor man 🀣 1,5 mln on steam 1mln Xbox and 0,5 PlayStation look it up πŸ˜˜πŸ˜ŸπŸ˜­πŸ€­πŸ˜’πŸ˜…πŸ˜­πŸ€­πŸ˜­πŸ˜­πŸ’ͺ🀭😭πŸ₯°πŸ˜’πŸ™ƒπŸ₯ΆπŸ˜΄πŸ˜’😘😘πŸ₯°πŸ˜πŸ˜šπŸ˜’πŸ™ƒπŸ™ƒπŸ˜’ ow so grown up hahaha

As a PC player who primarily does exploration, I would be 100% ok with the PC release being sync'd with the console release. I remember 2-2.5 years ago planning for weeks ahead of the update that added mapping to figure out exactly how to finally get my name on some cool things in the bubble (I started playing at a time when everything in the bubble was 'first discovered' and was very much looking forward to getting some tags of my own). Planning and then executing that plan, all while warring with the launch day/day after servers and getting several nice tags was extremely fulfilling and fun and I still enjoy most of those systems today and even made one of them my new home system when I'm in the Bubble.

Thinking about the new tags has already got me excited and thinking about doing another round of planning to do roughly the same thing. I have to say my own personal enjoyment of that process will be lessened somewhat with the knowledge that it's not going to be a fair process since so many players will be barred entirely from participating while I/we (PC players) go around tagging everything interesting in sight during the first few days of Odyssey. And with Fleet Carriers, I would expect a FC to be deployed at many/most of the super interesting deep space locations as well so it's not like console players can write off the bubble tagging and hope for deep space tags.

I don't think this was part of the decision making process to de-synchronize the PC/console release, and maybe it shouldn't have been because it is kind of a niche concern. I'm not upset at all over the delay in general, but I do feel for console players who care about engaging with the game by getting their names on trafficked locations because I will be eagerly engaging in that gameplay (as I did with mapping) and it will feel a bit hollow to know how many are being left out.

I doubt there will be any kind of tags left in the bubble after Odyssey-update in systems already colonized, just check out how many systems no longer have first discoverer tags (or mapping) in them, even though they had after launch until next major update (iirc).

Nowadays you can "discover / map" and thus tag just "unexplored" systems in a bubble and their planets, mostly systems colonized after launch of the game in 2014 December (that I have noticed through few uninhabited systems I found and tagged at first exploration rush after original launch).

For me it is pretty immersion breaking you can be "first" to find or do anything in a system already full of people and npcΒ΄s.
So IΒ΄m pretty sure tagging will not be ANY issue / thing in the bubble after Odyssey, especially when remembering FD wiping out tags from the bubble at some previous earlier updates.
And outside the bubble more than 99% of the systems in the galaxy are still not explored.

Top Bottom