ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Seems reasonable to disable the first footfall until parity across platforms (although, no one has given a good reason why this actually matters. I've never seen someone's name on anything and thought anything of it. This first discovered/landed/footfall mechanic is simply for selfish vanity). However, why disable BGS activity? Are you thinking Odyssey based BGS actions will have a greater impact than Horizons BGS activity? Furthermore, there will be players who choose not to purchase Odyssey. I can't believe anything done in Odyssey that affects the BGS can't be undone by those still playing Horizons.
This.
Odyssey will most likely give variety to how you affect the BGS not the amount you can do so.
If it turns out Odyssey does have a OP BGS effect, I'm sure the community will let FD know ;)
On the console question, whilst I love playing on PS4 Pro, if there came a point where previous gen support was detrimental to future development of the game I would support a move to current gen only.
Mac support was dropped due to it being unable to support Horizons - there may be a parallel here for older consoles and PC's

However, that's a big if and we really have no idea how Odyssey will run on pervious gen consoles.
I would hate to leave players behind if its not warranted.

So, are we thinking "late spring" - probably May, is the final release date (PC) that we'll get? It's not like the working situation can get much worse, unless Covid 19 mutates and is transmissible through computers.
I think the stock market announcement that came out the same day as the delay announcement said it will ship before the end of May. Unless I imagined that, which is possible.

This.
Odyssey will most likely give variety to how you affect the BGS not the amount you can do so.
If it turns out Odyssey does have a OP BGS effect, I'm sure the community will let FD know ;)
On the console question, whilst I love playing on PS4 Pro, if there came a point where previous gen support was detrimental to future development of the game I would support a move to current gen only.
Mac support was dropped due to it being unable to support Horizons - there may be a parallel here for older consoles and PC's

However, that's a big if and we really have no idea how Odyssey will run on pervious gen consoles.
I would hate to leave players behind if its not warranted.

If Elite Dangerous 2 came out and was PC / PS5 / XBoxSX only then ... sure ... but actively stopping a game that you’ve already paid for from working on the device you bought if for? I think that’s questionable ...

I know ... “service based game”... “limited lifespan” ... but that’d still be a bold call to make.

Now ... if Odyssey was only for PC and current-get consoles but you could still play Elite Dangerous “as is” on the last-gen consoles ... just without the space legs stuff ... that might have more, er, legs ... as it were. Whilst I reckon more than a few noses might be out of joint at “having” to upgrade to get Odyssey at least you aren’t taking away something people currently have.

If Elite Dangerous 2 came out and was PC / PS5 / XBoxSX only then ... sure ... but actively stopping a game that you’ve already paid for from working on the device you bought if for? I think that’s questionable ...

I know ... “service based game”... “limited lifespan” ... but that’d still be a bold call to make.

Now ... if Odyssey was only for PC and current-get consoles but you could still play Elite Dangerous “as is” on the last-gen consoles ... just without the space legs stuff ... that might have more, er, legs ... as it were. Whilst I reckon more than a few noses might be out of joint at “having” to upgrade to get Odyssey at least you aren’t taking away something people currently have.
Agreed - abandoning the previous gen player base would be disastrous PR.
My support would require some pretty good reasons for such a move.
I'd prefer if EDO continues previous gen support.

Why are release schedules based on seasons, spring, autumn etc? This game is played globally, so we are just expected to know what season it is in the country that the game is being developed to get an idea about what timeframe they are talking about. How about using months or even Quarter 1/2/3/4?

Why are release schedules based on seasons, spring, autumn etc? This game is played globally, so we are just expected to know what season it is in the country that the game is being developed to get an idea about what timeframe they are talking about. How about using months or even Quarter 1/2/3/4?
Knowing FD my guess is early april for alpha at best, if not another delay which i doubt given that we already had plenty of them.
Pc release end of june/ early july!
If issues remain i guess they'll just cut some content off.

Because they are for journalists, marketing departments and other such simple souls and they don’t want them to sound to technical and put them off.
Months of course is a problem due to lack of flexibility.

Knowing FD my guess is early april for alpha at best, if not another delay which i doubt given that we already had plenty of them.
It looks like they strongly want to get the pc release out before the end of the financial year, which from the financial report ends with may.
So, since they have to release it before the end of may (of course it could be delayed further, but they might not want to), i seriusly hope that they meant metereologic spring and the alpha begins sometimes in March, because i think that april is too late to have a proper and fructuous alpha phase

You miss my point, a release scheduled for June gives you only a 30 day window to meet the schedule a release scheduled for a season or a quarter has a 90 day window which gives much more flexibility before you need to postpone anything.

Also “season” can be open to interpretation: eg. Winter 2021 could be argued to cover the first two months of 2022 ... or could be argued not to ... whereas Q4 is Oct / Nov / Dec.

You miss my point, a release scheduled for June gives you only a 30 day window to meet the schedule a release scheduled for a season or a quarter has a 90 day window which gives much more flexibility before you need to postpone anything.
Oh I get the point. If a developer quotes a quarter it means they don't have the confidence of hitting a particular month. I wonder how many developers, if they give a three month spread have ever hit either of the first two?

The whole point is pretty moot anyway as if anyone suggests that developers should be held accountable to their own release schedule, a group will appear, as if by magic, to tell them they know nothing about software development, the case is not comparable to any other, and who do they think they are anyway?

The only date that matters is the one when Frontier servers start disgorging the Odyssey alpha. As to when that will be, it appears no-one knows including Frontier.

Last edited:
As to when that will be, it appears no-one knows including Frontier
Of course they don't... Why should they?
The last thing they are going to do is post a date, then be a day late for whatever reason, bringing forth the usual screams from some forumites of "Incompetence" & "LIES!!!one11!"

If they have any sense we'll be told about it once the servers come back up following Thursday "maintenance" and they know it is working as intended 🤷‍♂️

From this thread, the fdev market statement. PC release before end of May:

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is expected to release on PC, the biggest platform for Elite Dangerous, before the end of the financial year (which ends on 31 May 2021), albeit slightly later than our initial target for Q1 2021 (January to March). This will be preceded by an alpha period. Our plan for PlayStation and Xbox is to submit console versions for approval as soon as possible after we have released on PC, rather than putting the console developments of Odyssey under additional time pressure by planning for a simultaneous PC/console launch. PlayStation and Xbox console releases will therefore now come in FY22.

corrected
True.

images

Top Bottom