Every Build I Create Has Auto Dock

Deleted member 182079

D
I don't think either computer has any mass, and those slots were added to each ship (2 small for small ships, 1 small for medium/large iirc) when they were introduced.

Learn to manually dock.
You're going to be worse than useless rescueing civilians from burning stations, which is one of the most tense and rewarding non combat jobs there is for a pilot.

I've rescued plenty of people from burning stations, docking manually in a Beluga. That's what got me to Admiral.

But in every station where the docking computer works, I use it.

It's when I get to chill out, play with the external camera, have a look around, stretch my legs, etc etc etc.

auto dock with classical music is an reference to original elite'84 (i only played on amiga). it was the only way to dock back then and you did dream of this music back then.
you were invulnerable doing that, so you could safely enter a hostile station, as soon as autodock kicked in.

so okay for reference, truckers or new pilots. but normal ppl just dont have the time to wait for snail-docking....

edit: sorry wrong. my memory is not so good, maybe manual docking was possible

Last edited:
I like life's little luxuries too... Yes, I can fly a Beluga through the mail slot effortlessly in Silent Running, either direction (often both) without particularly thinking about it. but I'll use a DC in preference just because I can.

Those who consider themselves superior because they opt not to use them can continue to do so, it really doesn't bother me in the least.
Only recently have I put SA in my 2 explorers, that isn't half-bad either!

I spent 2 years as an Approved Driving Instructor teaching my partner's daughters and a few of their friends how to drive a manual car through their driving test, while all the time driving an automatic personally (my automatic gearbox car could change gear much faster than a manual...) if we need an analogy here ;)

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Still, kind of like leaving your living room empty just to have a router installed there.
Yeah, I don't think the modular design of outfitting is particularly elegant these days (my personal bugbear are those large size sensors), and I do agree that DC/SCA should've really been made standard ship comptuer features as opposed to individual modules (given we got the additional slots so outfitting balancing was only impacted slightly for the larger ships). I also wish we had a universal limpet controller, and instead would just buy limpets of the various functionalities instead.

Deleted member 182079

D
Actually real pilots do use Autopilot all the time
And on some airports, the autopilot can even land the plane
I tried a full IFR approach in MSFS2020 a few weeks ago (after watching a YT video where a RL pilot explained the procedures for about an hour!), pretty neat stuff. It's mostly just pressing buttons and managing speed now, depending on the plane.

I spent 2 years as an Approved Driving Instructor teaching my partner's daughters and a few of their friends how to drive a manual car through their driving test, while all the time driving an automatic personally (my automatic gearbox car could change gear much faster than a manual...) if we need an analogy here ;)

I also drive cars with either manual or automatic transmission. And i pretty much prefer the automatic one (my previous car was automatic, current one is manual, next one will be automatic for sure)
And when i took my driving license many-many years ago, one of the tests was to start the car (without any backpedal) equipped with manual transmission while being stopped on a ramp.
Of course i can still do it today, even tho i also really appreciate the hill hold option that is currently present on almost all cars...

Deleted member 182079

D
I also drive cars with either manual or automatic transmission. And i pretty much prefer the automatic one (my previous car was automatic, current one is manual, next one will be automatic for sure)
And when i took my driving license many-many years ago, one of the tests was to start the car (without any backpedal) equipped with manual transmission while being stopped on a ramp.
Of course i can still do it today, even tho i also really appreciate the hill hold option that is currently present on almost all cars...
Yeah, I learned driving on a manual gearbox car (as was/is standard in Europe) and one of the exercises my driving instructor made me do was keep the car stationary at a relatively steep incline, without using the brake, just by feathering clutch and gas pedal (spoiler: it stinks, literally:p).

Drove manual for most of my life, with the occasional automatic rental car (which gave me the taste for auto). My last two cars were auto, the first had a quite horrible 5 speed box, my current one is a smooth as silk 8 speed and I won't go back to manual again. Especially in traffic it's so much more relaxing and comfortable.

Some of my ship have it, some don't, most have sca, a few do not... But I sure miss those two when I'm in a ship which doesn't have them.
On another note I would like to have some other classical musics to vary it a little. If I play with my cargo ship I can have Blue Danube in the head the entire day.

DC and SA are hands down the two most useful modules on my list.

Also I've turned off the crappy song as I absolutely hate classical music and that piece in particular.
It is near game breaking to me, same goes for the planet surface music. I like the supercruise soundtrack though and so I do keep it, and it doesn't kick in until a certain point in supercruise.

Would they even be able to lift off with those heavy bad boys?!
No, but the 'bragging rights' make up for it 🥳

Yeah, I learned driving on a manual gearbox car (as was/is standard in Europe) and one of the exercises my driving instructor made me do was keep the car stationary at a relatively steep incline, without using the brake, just by feathering clutch and gas pedal (spoiler: it stinks, literally:p).
When I was a learner driver (a while back!) my instructor had a 'special' exercise similar to that: Reverse around a corner on a steep hill... I grew to love the smell of 'hot clutch'!

I learned a trick a few weeks back that I'm sure everyone already knew, but you can just use the docking computer to land you and only land you without all the waiting or being in a "queue".

So the game says "slow down bla bla" for the docking computer to kick in, but what it actually means is throttle to 0% which isn't the same thing as coming to a stop.

So you just request docking access, burn your ship through the mailslot as you normally would then as soon as you're inside the statation wham your Flight Assist Off keybind. Bingo, the docking computer kicks in and does a perfect landing. Since going FA-Off instantly zeroes your throttles, that meets the criteria for it taking over for you.

Top Bottom