Ships Deep Plating?

No weapon can directly damage modules through any amount of shielding except for flechettes, which NPCs do not have; or, in the case of the canopy, phasing sequence, which only occurs at low hull integrity (sub 50%, IIRC) and phasing is only on wing assassination targets, Spec Ops, and other threat 6+ signals, not compromised NAV beacons.

All the damage you've been seeing to your hull/modules is a result of you overheating your own ship. Deep plating has nothing to do with it.
For me, I often shoot NPCs with phasing, though I did not know that the beacons do not.

Were Spec-Ops already mentioned? They often have Phasing weapons. Maybe befor you was lucky not having them against you in CZs or they were busy shooting something else. If they focus on you even a Vette can get hurt.
Nvm in CNB tho..

Not if we talk about heat damage because of overheating
Yes, if the damage taken was coming from thermal weapons (lasers, incendiary mc/frags, rails, and to a lesser extent plasma)
Yeah, I was referring to overheating damage of course. The assumption that heat damage is in any way influenced by your resistances appeared very unlikely to me.
The damage taken from thermal weapons influenced by thermal resistance is a no-brainer. But on the other hand, the whole thread is ehm... very speculative.

I dont understand this build....
It is for CZ's really ? is that a joke ? Are you so affraid of dying ?
I mean, what's really to understand? It's just a tank. It's not meant for anything but killing a lot of ships and yes, not dying. Do I want to die? No. I had it to the point where I would not even take damage after an hour or so of killing ships at a compromised navigation beacon. It's not meant to be some Ultra Serious PvP build or anything like that... just a tank. And I had just a tank. Then, I added some DP to some Hull packages and lost the ability to not sustain module damage. Even the shield strength somehow decreased as I was not losing more than a ring, maybe two, of shields but now I do. That's all Captain Elite!

I am not sure why some Elite Dangerous players always have to get all snobbish and insulting. "Is that a joke?" "Are you so afraid of dying?" Really, what's that got to do with anything, or the question I am asking? Man, some players of this game are just straight up rude. I am not sure why I get surprised though, or even bother retorting. :cautious:

No weapon can directly damage modules through any amount of shielding except for flechettes, which NPCs do not have; or, in the case of the canopy, phasing sequence, which only occurs at low hull integrity (sub 50%, IIRC) and phasing is only on wing assassination targets, Spec Ops, and other threat 6+ signals, not compromised NAV beacons.

All the damage you've been seeing to your hull/modules is a result of you overheating your own ship. Deep plating has nothing to do with it.

I get what you're saying. I do have the two huge beams and, and for the most part, they are all I use. The MC's I don't bother with, and the Packs I use only when a target decides he wants to run and he's out of my Beam range, I'll fire off a volley of packs. That DM Exp on the Pack will stop the target, or slow it down enough, to where I can catch him from fleeing. I don't think I've ever seen the ship, even with a good amount of sustained Beams, get up much over 70% heat. A few times I will say, if I went a little too crazy on the Packs, I would hear the Heat Warning, but would check modules and still see 100% on all modules. I'd love to do a video with DP and no DP, offer some proof to my madness here. I'll try to do one that's not so huge that YouTube take a week to "HD Process" it. Anyway, I think we can put this one to rest. I'll figure out what went wrong (y) Thank you to all that offered suggestions. And as one said... maybe there is some Tin Foil here, but I know what I had and have now, and I know what changed. If adding that DP to a few HRP did not do anything, even with the -8% across all resistances, then it's just a matter of I am not noticing that I am overheating my ship, which I am not, or as my rank has increased a bit, the game is throwing ships that do more damage, although the rank increase has been small, maybe 10% over the course of me noticing this.

All good my peeps. We needn't worry about it any more. I would delete the post, if I could :)(y) Thanks again!

You won't ever need all of that Shields/Hull for PvE c'mon ;) My "light Corvette" has a bit less than 3000 shields more or less same Hull,boosts at 430 and can jump 35 light years,it wrecks everything easily as well and I bet has way more handling than this one.Plus it can travel...

I mean, what's really to understand? It's just a tank. It's not meant for anything but killing a lot of ships and yes, not dying. Do I want to die? No. I had it to the point where I would not even take damage after an hour or so of killing ships at a compromised navigation beacon. It's not meant to be some Ultra Serious PvP build or anything like that... just a tank. And I had just a tank. Then, I added some DP to some Hull packages and lost the ability to not sustain module damage. Even the shield strength somehow decreased as I was not losing more than a ring, maybe two, of shields but now I do. That's all Captain Elite!
Deep plating does nothing to your module protection, at all. It just gives you more hull points at the expense of a small bit of hull resistance, hull, not modules. All that determines if and how much your modules take damage is the piercing value of the weapons fired at you, the hardness of your hull and module reinforcements. Weapon piercing can be altered by engineering, hull hardness is fixed and unchangeable. The only other thing able to damage your modules is the ship overheating. You're on the wrong track, your sample size is way to low to get even close to a valid statistical conclusion, hence tinfoil.

Last edited:
You won't ever need all of that Shields/Hull for PvE c'mon ;) My "light Corvette" has a bit less than 3000 shields more or less same Hull,boosts at 430 and can jump 35 light years,it wrecks everything easily as well and I bet has way more handling than this one.Plus it can travel...
Yeah. I was just playing around with mine, see just how tanky I could get it, and how much damage it could take. I am either going to buy another one and make it a more reasonable as far as handling and jump range, or just mess around with this one. I'd like to build one that could actually do PvP. I think if I got yanked by a player in this one, it could probably hold out, depending on what it got yanked by, but sure, there's stuff I could and will do this this ship to get better jumps, add some SCB and Sinks, maybe some point defense and other defensive stuff. Plus, I am not any kind of PvP player, I know nothing about building ships with SCB, nor would I even know how to really use them effectively. I don't get into PvP fights. I've tried flying this ship around Deciat and egging people on to GET into a PvP and got no takers. I thought for sure there'd be at least one "ganker" that would love to destroy me, but nope... spent hours in SD and Deciat and nothing, not one person attacked me. I don't give a Rat's about getting killed, just wanted the experience. I did learn that ships labeled "Enemy" are free to attack, I didn't know that. So maybe I will instigate a fight :sneaky: Can you post your Vette build, would love to see it, or anyone else's Vette. I'd like to see what people do with them, PvE or even more PvP builds.

Last edited:
Your hull and shield are two completely seperate heath pools, resistances included. Engineering on one will never affect the other.

The only time they'll ever come close to interacting is when hit by thargoids or other phasing attacks, since they damage both.

Yeah. I was just playing around with mine, see just how tanky I could get it, and how much damage it could take. I am either going to buy another one and make it a more reasonable as far as handling and jump range, or just mess around with this one. I'd like to build one that could actually do PvP. I think if I got yanked by a player in this one, it could probably hold out, depending on what it got yanked by, but sure, there's stuff I could and will do this this ship to get better jumps, add some SCB and Sinks, maybe some point defense and other defensive stuff. Plus, I am not any kind of PvP player, I know nothing about building ships with SCB, nor would I even know how to really use them effectively. I don't get into PvP fights. I've tried flying this ship around Deciat and egging people on to GET into a PvP and got no takers. I thought for sure there'd be at least one "ganker" that would love to destroy me, but nope... spent hours in SD and Deciat and nothing, not one person attacked me. I don't give a Rat's about getting killed, just wanted the experience. I did learn that ships labeled "Enemy" are free to attack, I didn't know that. So maybe I will instigate a fight :sneaky: Can you post your Vette build, would love to see it, or anyone else's Vette. I'd like to see what people do with them, PvE or even more PvP builds.
If you really want to have a go at PvP,leave the Vette for something else,you'll thank me later.Real PvPers don't waste their time in Deciat believe me,those you find there ganking the poor souls going to Farseer are at best low level rabbits,they won't engage a Corvette but easier unarmed people,that's the reason.In Shinrarta I've been interdicted three times by similar "so called aces" in Corvettes,my Viper MK IV sent them to rebuy screen very quick.You want to taste PvP? Buy and fit an FDL,Plasmas and a lot of Engineering and see what comes out of it. ;)

You might get more sustained PVE time on deck if you swapped to a 7C bi weave and carry a few SCBs. If somebody could convince me that HRPs are affecting shield performance now then I'd have to question everything i thought i knew about the game.

If you really want to have a go at PvP,leave the Vette for something else,you'll thank me later.Real PvPers don't waste their time in Deciat believe me,those you find there ganking the poor souls going to Farseer are at best low level rabbits,they won't engage a Corvette but easier unarmed people,that's the reason.In Shinrarta I've been interdicted three times by similar "so called aces" in Corvettes,my Viper MK IV sent them to rebuy screen very quick.You want to taste PvP? Buy and fit an FDL,Plasmas and a lot of Engineering and see what comes out of it. ;)

This is my FDL. I have flown it, also, around Deciat and SD, San Tu and other places that seem to be known for gankers... nothing. I am not saying my FDL is "All that", but no one tried to interdict me, for whatever reason. I was flying it out of Bill Turner's one day and a dude in a Cutter was on my butt. I slowed down, he caught up. I was waiting for the interdiction and he just moved on. Don't get it.

My FDL

They don't, where from this Fantasy tale has come out?
Just so we're clear, I never insinuated that adding the DP had any direct affect to my shields. I think my shields are going down faster now because my shield generator module is now taking damage, would be more an accurate statement, or reason.

I'm sure you could take a lunch break in a high CZ with this thing without going to the rebuy screen, but on another hand your packhound will be empty long before you lose a shield ring. Strange build indeed, my vette can clear CZ and solo wing mission with a third of those shield and two HRP, so I took some other usefull stuff instead. I love to do some weird builds too so I can get that i guess.

But I'm agreeing with the others, you took module damages from overheat that's for sure.

I'm sure you could take a lunch break in a high CZ with this thing without going to the rebuy screen, but on another hand your packhound will be empty long before you lose a shield ring. Strange build indeed, my vette can clear CZ and solo wing mission with a third of those shield and two HRP, so I took some other usefull stuff instead. I love to do some weird builds too so I can get that i guess.

But I'm agreeing with the others, you took module damages from overheat that's for sure.
I am going to go with that and keep an eye on it. I am pretty sure I didn't overheat, hardly use the Packs, but I see your point. It could be that I have been overheating and not noticing. I don't know, but I will certainly keep a close watch on it, for sure! Thanks! ;)

Top Bottom