Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

peels out from the LA parking lot in a porsche turbo

naa.png

It's not an automatic :D

"get a refund and move on"

tries getting a refund

"haha, no, no, we just mean the moving on part. just do that because your money is gone bayyybee! whoop"

peels out from the LA parking lot in a porsche turbo

Someone just personally offered to reimburse people here hours ago. And he was rejected.

This is not about the money to people here, it's about holding a grudge. I truly believe you are doing what you feel is right, and in general you actually are doing the right thing with this. But this forum ain't the place man. People here just want to be the victim and complain for as long as possible.

Someone just personally offered to reimburse people here hours ago. And he was rejected.

This is not about the money to people here, it's about holding a grudge. I truly believe you are doing what you feel is right, and in general you actually are doing the right thing with this. But this forum ain't the place man. People here just want to be the victim and complain for as long as possible.

How can a private individual, completely unrelated to any corporate entity involved with SC - reimburse or refund or otherwise compensate or perform any business on behalf of SC?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
People here just want to be the victim and complain for as long as possible.
To be fair I think most here have already refunded (when it was still possible) or (g)reyfunded (geddit haha) most if not all of their original purchases. Some here have even admittedly not spent a single dollar yet in SC. So not many victims here looking to complain I reckon.

The SC « serious » drama is still present no doubt but most of the SC critiques related discussions I ve seen are namely about ridiculing, finger pointing, watching in awe, shaking heads, laughing or a combination to be honest. All of which are arguably deserved by CIG and CR in a measure commensurate to the size of the gap between the daring BDSSE ambitions, funds & fidelity and the actual result so far. Just fair ;)

To top it all up CIG seems to produce blunders and faux pas almost every other day, it’s like the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
Personally, I don’t care if it’s $45 or $45,000... it’s money I worked hard for, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Chris Roberts and CIG to put in an honest effort to fulfill their promises... and the dozens of shell companies and Hollywood Accounting shenanigans is about as far as you can get from an honest effort without committing a felony.

Fortunately for me, I managed to get my money out of this disaster before CIG changed their terms of service. It may not seem like much to you, but $45 represents two months of my gaming budget, and I'd rather spend it on games worthy of my time, from developers who don't make Electronic Arts look like paragons of virtue in comparison... though I do admit I bought No Man's Sky at half off with part of my refund. Space Engineers, another game that received part of that refund, more than made up for NMS's failings on that front, to the point where I've since bought all the DLCs Keen has produced for the game.

It's ironic. Back in 2012, Star Citizen was the game that was supposed to tide me over until Elite: Dangerous was at least as developed as Frontier: Elite 2, gameplay wise. Instead, ED became the game I ended up playing instead of SC.... and Space Engineers... and Empyrion: Galactic Survival... and Rogue System... and Surviving Mars... and Subnautica... and Star Wars: Squadrons...

But because of Star Citizen, I'm no longer willing to Kickstart games, and I'll take a long, hard look at any early access game before I even think of buying it. That's the damage Star Citizen has done to the gaming community as a whole, and the space game genre specifically. There are dozens of great ideas floating out there, just as good if not better than SC, that wither away due to lack of funding, all thanks to the malignant growth that is Star Citizen.

Should SC and Sq42 ever reach the point where they at least fulfil the original Kickstarter promises, I'm more than willing to buy it again... but not at the full $65. I'm more than willing to wait for the inevitable sale.

After all, what's a few more years, after all this time?
I have joined three Kick Starters (Elite, Star Citizen, and Descent Underground) and have been disappointed by 2 with Elite delivering. I have pre-purchased Odysse but confident I will see something from that. With SC I'm about $100 dollars in(have seen one player $30k plus in) but it does have some content. From what I hear Descent Underground is at least in advance beta but it is tied up in court on who can distribute it. The single-player (multi player has no server) of Descent Underground plays well with quite a few things to do and the graphics are good.
I bought into SC because I was a big fan of the Wing Commander series. SC has grown way beyond WC.

It Is Playable, if I logged in and I couldn't actually run around get in and out my ship and fart about doing missions then yes I would agree with you.
Give it a bloody go and then say you don't like it. It's not too bad and can be pretty atmospheric.

"Not too bad"
"Can be pretty atmospheric"
"Playable"

Great testimonials for a $400m game that's been in development for 9 years.

Why the hell should it be up to some random on the internet to refund people? What is with this obsession with absolving Roberts of any accountability? He has made a literal fortune from backers while failing to deliver on clearly stated and recorded promises, all the while lying and misrepresenting the development, and somehow it's the people who think he ought to be called on it that are in the wrong.

You're a "people here", and you've only ever been interested in policing others from some contrarian, self-styled moral high ground.

Last edited:

Look, it's a nice sentiment that someone offered to reimburse. But understand what events have happened to create that condition. Absolving CR and CIG from issuing refunds, that I personally feel they should, by crowd-funding refunds? That doesn't fix anything.

I've got this idea for the next REAL BDSSE Kickstarter!

Solar Scullion : Crowdfund Refund!

GASP as you dodge dodgy space salesmen trying to sell you intangible graphical formats! COLLABORATE as CRUES in an intense multiplayer wallet-vs-wallet arena offering your own cash to randoms! SCORE a streak of UNLIMITED WOWS where YOU are the champion defeating the evil regime of game development and their most vile ally - DELIVERABLES! EARN SpaceBux from defeating old forum nerds. SCREAM as you embark upon an epic quest to plug the pipelines and rescue Princess HANDWAVIUM from the monstrous grip of cold, heartless Captain REALITY(TM)

Answer the faxl!

Okay, lets do this same old tired dance again. :rolleyes:

Why the hell should it be up to some random on the internet to refund people?

Nobody said that.

What is with this obsession with absolving Roberts of any accountability?

Nobody said that.

He has made a literal fortune from backers while failing to deliver on clearly stated and recorded promises, all the while lying and misrepresenting the development, and somehow it's the people who think he ought to be called on it that are in the wrong.

Nobody said that.

You're a "people here", and you've only ever been interested in policing others from some contrarian, self-styled moral high ground.

No clue what this is even supposed to mean. Thanks for playing though! (y)

Look, it's a nice sentiment that someone offered to reimburse. But understand what events have happened to create that condition. Absolving CR and CIG from issuing refunds, that I personally feel they should, by crowd-funding refunds? That doesn't fix anything.

Look mate, I know what happened the past, well, almost a decade by now. SC is poopy pants, CR is incompetent. I get it, we all do. (y) Nobody here is absolving anyone of anything. This topic is the closest to a literal embodiment of 'preaching to the choir' the internet has ever known. Thing is that people here aren't looking for a fix. Or closure. Or refunds. Or anything other than an endless circle jerk uninterupted by the horror of people casually remarking that they kinda had fun with some dumb computer game. Oh noes! Lets be honest: the hardcore gang here loves being the victim. They dont want compensation, an actual succesful release or anything. Fanatics like Agony Aunt even literally said so.

Yes, SC is garbage. No, it will never live up to what they promised. Yes, they should offer refunds. But you know what? It would be nice if we could, just for a change, stop ganging up on people who just happen to gasp enjoy a computer game just because we perceive that to be a threat to our Gospel of the Evil Roberts. Because as stupid as this entire charade is, becoming the mirror image of Joe Blobbers isn't much of an achievement anyone here should be proud of. Oh no! Someone had fun for thirty minutes! Quick, to the barricades! :rolleyes:

And now the usual suspects can all spam a few more pages again about how much of a heretic I am by 'Defending the Robert'. :cool:

Last edited:
This would have been quicker:

you've only ever been interested in policing others from some contrarian, self-styled moral high ground.

Latest geezer is enjoying the game and all power to him. He’s not been dumped on from a height for that. He’s also been indulging in some 'you lot shut up and/or enjoy the game too' though. And some general factual fuzziness. Those are games we get to join in on ;)

This would have been quicker:

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. It is interesting though that about a dozen people here have spend literally thousands of pages repeating the same old "SC is poopy pants!" mantra, and every time someone pushes back even the slightest we get this Monty Python'esque "Help help we are being oppressed!" rhetoric. :ROFLMAO:

So what's your role?

I'm just a dude who appreciates every single post on its own merrit without swearing eternal allegiance to a specific tribe of nerds. I know, it is very hard to grasp for someone who spends real-life money to get entrance to a safe space just to crap talk people who spend real-life money on fake space ships in a dumb game you've been hating on for years.

It's okay. Really. :)

But, is it at odds. I have been playing over the last week or two with many many frustrating moments and it isn't by any means a complete game but you can 'play' it to a degree.
Let me be clear I do not like the crowd funding, pre purchase, microtransactions, paying for F'ing pixels that is the current gaming industry philosophy as all they want is our money and the more the better.
I've said it before I paid around 45 quid and I get a tad of enjoyment out of it.

Its almost the same thing as the people who bought Elite in 2014 complaining that others are now getting it for free.
It's a Mad Mad world.
Fly safe lads I'm out. Apologies for the rant.
Pug

But that is how CR said he wants to market it. Going to market and saying, hey, play this, its great. Appealing to the wider demographic.

Yeah, you can play it. You've been able to play it for years. Its still a buggy alpha though. And they hide behind that shield the moment anyone dares to offer any criticism.

But most people are not willing to invest time in a buggy alpha for extended periods of time. They want an experience where they are free to enjoy the game without hitting bugs all the time. Without losing progress to bugs. Without server wipes removing months of effort. You have seen how people get outraged over the most trivial bugs on released games right? CR is trying to entice the proles to play his game... i don't think he understand what that will cause to happen.

Unless you really want to give CIG more money now, unless you really want to experience the alpha, there is no reason to buy into SC now. Wait for release (if it ever happens) so you can enjoy the game for what it is. And if then you want to give some negative feedback, nobody can go hiding behind the skirts of ITS ALPHA.

Thing is that to some folks here it's an almost religious thing, an Eternal Battle against the Evil Chris Roberts.

Best to just ignore it. Play it if you enjoy it, play something else if you don't. The insane fanatics on both sides of the 'battle' are not worth your time. :)

Fair advice. There are many reasons I post about SC though. For a start, i get lots of laughs out of the banter here, but that's just a bonus.

One reason is how CR returned to gaming claiming that PC gaming was dead (it wasn't) and how he would save it with the best damn space sim ever, which he would create in 2-3 years for 5.5 million. He promised not to behave like those big evil publishers which have the gall to release playable and fun games.

He then proceeded to spend the next 9 years lying to and misleading backers and in general behaving worse than EA while at the same time using predatory marketing practices that would make an EA exec blush.

People on the internet go on crusades against EA, Epic, Ubisoft, but for me, CIG are worse than any of those.

Top Bottom