Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Hi guys.

Since last week I got a new pc that runs very well SC (my last gaming pc was 7 years old) and joined a cool org.
I play more, I have less time for other things. So I will greatly reduce my time on forums and reddit.
It was fun to discuss with you all here.

Perhaps I will come here from time to time for the big news.

Gotta take of!
(not sure that's the correct expression)

Hi guys.

Since last week I got a new pc that runs very well SC (my last gaming pc was 7 years old) and joined a cool org.
I play more, I have less time for other things. So I will greatly reduce my time on forums and reddit.

Gotta take of!

Fare thee well o brave warrior of the interwebs!

Nice to hear you finally have a computer that will run SC "very well" (i'll take that with the usual caveats in relation to SC and performance). Funny how a 7 year old PC can't cut it.... truly a next next next gen game in the works! :p

Who is your replacement by the way? Or are they already posting here? Will we see a return of Mr. Novak?

I actually enjoy Mole's trip reports about his experiences in the game. And at times he gets a glimpse through that keyhole of what could be, and enjoys the game. And I will not criticize someone's actual personal gameplay experience and reaction, be it positive or negative.

I would say one of the issues folks here, as well as myself, have is substituting extremely brief and curated moments from other players for their own "experience", as a measure of the entirety of the game. It has a taste of dis-ingeniousness, and smells of marketing more than genuine player experience. Especially when many of us here have played the game for ourselves recently and have constant experiences that are way way way on the other side of the intended message and narrative being presented.

I personally had two "moments" with the Star Citizen project. One was early after Arena Commander released, when I was shooting up a Scythe. I shot its wing off and the wing flew over my head/cockpit as I pursued it. That was freaking awesome. And that was 6 years ago. My second was the first time I landed on a planet, got out of the spaceship, and just looked around. It was just a nice quiet moment. And that was 3 years ago.

So when I'm told by both Roberts and the shills that my experiences of not just the ARG surrounding the project are wrong, but the software product itself, I'm more than a bit skeptical of the intent of the message and narrative.

I have finished CP2077 a week ago. Was there missing 'promised' content? Sure. Were there visual glitches? Sure. Was it shorter than expected? Sure. Did I have fun? Sure. Was I called a shill by the invested full-time haters? you bet. Clearly my experience of a fairly stable game with decent FPS at 4k was impossible. How different choices I made in side quests came back to have an impact in the main quest wasn't true because "nothing you do matters" and so forth. People genuinely did not want to accept I had fun with it. I was a shill!

Now SC is on a whole other level when it comes to crapiness, sure, but you still see the same rhetoric. Even the weakest "I had a tad of enjoyment" posted by someone who has been a member here for half a decade is 'suspicious'. And immediately he is probably a shill or liar or some other mindless ad-hominem to justify discarding the opinion of someone who merely had a different experience playing a game. Because at this point you have reached the point where even the smallest, tiniest, ittybitty miniscule bit of anything other than bitter, cynical bile must surely be a lie. A "tad of enjoyment"? Shill! Shill! Shill!

Ok guys. Enjoy yourself, I guess.

Last edited:
I have finished CP2077 a week ago. Was there missing 'promised' content? Sure. Were there visual glitches? Sure. Was it shorter than expected? Sure. Did I have fun? Sure. Was I called a shill by the invested full-time haters? you bet. Clearly my experience of a fairly stable game with decent FPS at 4k was impossible. How different choices I made in side quests came back to have an impact in the main quest wasn't true because "nothing you do matters" and so forth. People genuinely did not want to accept I had fun with it. I was a shill!

Now SC is on a whole other level when it comes to crapiness, sure, but you still see the same rhetoric. Even the weakest "I had a tad of enjoyment" posted by someone who has been a member here for half a decade is 'suspicious'. And immediately he is probably a shill or liar or some other mindless ad-hominem to justify discarding the opinion of someone who merely had a different experience playing a game. Because at this point you have reached the point where even the smallest, tiniest, ittybitty miniscule bit of anything other than bitter, cynical bile must surely be a lie. A "tad of enjoyment"? Shill! Shill! Shill!

Ok guys. Enjoy yourself, I guess.

Its largely a matter of how people report on their experiences. Look at the likes Mole's posts get when he talks about the fun he has had and the positive reception he gets to his descriptions of the game.

Why?

Because we trust his reports, we trust him not to exaggerate about the fun he is having, we trust him not to lie about his experiences, and he will point out the good with the bad.

Others though, they haven't earned that trust because their reports are usually full of gushing praise and statements which are frankly speaking highly suspect.

Surely attacking posters instead of discussing the topic of the thread would get our resident moderators all up in here with the flamethrower, no?

You can enjoy the game and think it is "a bit lacking" (say that in a british accent) considering 350M USD and ten years spent doing it. While also wondering what happened to all that money. Or why the continuing crowd funding campaign while also selling off parts of the company at the same time.

Same way others can enjoy poking fun by literally copy-pasting verbatim quotes from CIG, like:
..NPCs collecting crockery, dispensing food and drink, picking up cutlery, carrying food to a seat, sitting down, eating, drinking (with the levels of food and drink decreasing), and clearing up. This builds on existing usable work but uses features in ways that haven’t been done before..

You see, it's hilarious, because that's what 350M USD investment gets you. Chow lines. And one star system. That's not been done before.

Who are you to tell others how they can have fun.

Hi guys.

Gotta take of!
Ducking out before Odyssey drops,don’t blame you

It would be nice if we could, just for a change, stop ganging up on people who just happen to gasp enjoy a computer game just because we perceive that to be a threat to our Gospel of the Evil Roberts. Because as stupid as this entire charade is, becoming the mirror image of Joe Blobbers isn't much of an achievement anyone here should be proud of. Oh no! Someone had fun for thirty minutes! Quick, to the barricades! :rolleyes:
Personally, it isn't people having fun in Star Citizen that invites criticism. People enjoy No Man's Sky. I don't, but I don't spend my time complaining about Sean Murray... anymore. Because despite failing to deliver on his promises initially, he eventually made good... and he did it without begging his existing customer base for more money in order to do so.

What invites criticism is generally two things:

1) Highly curated videos that present a false impression of Star Citizen. Every so often, I tune in to a livestream while playing something else, so I can see for myself what the game is actually like. These kinds of videos come across as disingenuous at best, downright deceptive at worst. They feel like marketing advertisements, not genuine impressions of people playing the game. Given that we've had three(?) Star Citizen cheerleaders over the years that eventually slipped up and admitted to being CIG community managers, I start getting suspicious of posters who follow similar patterns.

2) Its just money posts. Star Citizen is still being marketed as a crowd sourced game, not a released one. As such, I expect the person in charge, Chris Roberts, to be a good steward of other people's money. Chris Roberts is not only an extremely poor steward, and a bad manager to boot, but all the evidence points to the Roberts Clan enriching themselves through a Hollywood Accounting scheme, which IMO is as close to outright embezzlement as you can get and still keep things legal.

The Star Citizen that was pitched back in 2012 is very much a game I still want to play, which is why I still follow this thread. I want to see something, anything, that indicates that this game is worth my limited gaming time and money (I can follow this thread while on break at work, thanks to the magic of mobile devices). I sincerely doubt that I'll ever have a "Hurry up and take my money" moment, like I did with the ED alpha, Empyrion: Galactic Survival, Surviving Mars, and a few other games over the last eight years... but stranger things have happened.

Nice to hear you finally have a computer that will run SC "very well" (i'll take that with the usual caveats in relation to SC and performance).

Marvel as this YTer watches his 3080 performance plummet while he navigates deeper into the Xeno threat PTU...

Source: https://youtu.be/s4UFU9KEP4o

Be aghast at the general drop in CIG's own performance metrics...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/kqilmj Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/kqilmj/cig_telemetry_data_shows_average_load_times_have/

Ponder whether the PU will improve at all with a load of assets dumped out and the player cap lowered to 40.

Mutter vague aphorism about optimisation 'normally being done at the end...'

Last edited:
So :)
SQ42 beta end of 2021.
Vulkan late this year.
Second system late 2021, early 2022.
iCache a huge mess at start, good tech at the end of 2021.

Nice one. Keeping expectations low is a good bet there. (Can see at least one of those being missed though ;))

Enjoy the verse fella. See you on your next swing by :)

Hi guys.

Gotta take of!

so your contract with CIG has expired!
well, lets see who is the next.

See! this is what happens when nobody posts cute, furry animal .gifs. :ROFLMAO:
Cute, furry animal .gifs would be off-topic here, because SC is strongly adherent to jpegs.
Here, have a jpeg of a new helmet ;)
2021-01-27_15-33.jpg

Top Bottom