[Comparison] Horizon vs odyssey planets

Did I miss something? He showed the Odyssey planets from the surface (SRV or legs) but not the Horizon's version (from an SRV). The only comparison was from orbit. I watched it twice.

Have you seen yet Odyssey stuff..."live"? I don't mean "ads"...so no you don't, we are totally in the blind yet,too early to compare what we still have to see.

using my Nostradamus powers... i can forsee the future ...

odyssey planets will be just as active as horizons planets only with slightly more eye candy above your head and you'll have to cover less distance to do it since you'll often be on foot (but it'll take the same amount of time). They'll look slightly better but that's only because of the lighting and particle effects they can play with now.

No sprawling active cityscapes or complex geography outside of canyons and mountains and craters.. no interactive alien life forms (fauna).. nothing but eye candy for the 99.999% of planets out in the galaxy. You'll get tired of landing on planets to just walk around in roughly the same amount of time that you got tired of doing it in horizons with your srv. There will be a few contrived things to do on foot similar to the game mechanics surrounding getting guardian blueprints but those will be hand-created and totally optional and close to the existing human bubble.

So sayeth the Nostradamus

Did I miss something? He showed the Odyssey planets from the surface (SRV or legs) but not the Horizon's version (from an SRV). The only comparison was from orbit. I watched it twice.
The horizon comparison planets are currently non landable.
Flimley

Have you seen yet Odyssey stuff..."live"? I don't mean "ads"...so no you don't, we are totally in the blind yet,too early to compare what we still have to see.
These are the same planets in both the odyssey alpha and horizon release versions

Flimley

I think it's OK to compare this without the slightly hyperbolic assertion that it's irrelevant unless we're actually playing the game. Fdev released actual game footage. It's OK to pass any form of assessment on the visuals of something when all we have are the visuals of it...

Just as with the change from base to horizons, the graphic fidelity improvement is obvious. And exciting.

It's certainly beautiful.

And seeing that one of the planets had a 0.02 pressure which was low enough to classify as a "thin atmosphere" for becoming landable is interesting - I was afraid it would be only the 0.00 ones. I couldn't find an EDSM parameter to more easily have an idea of the planet % this represents.

Ok so how can he compare something that is not "usable" yet? ;)
Horizons planets are visible from space. You can compare horizons planets with the same base game planet right now and see the difference is obvious.

And yeh, we're not in Alpha. But he's comparing visuals, not game play. And the visuals are actual footage, not pre renders.

So what is your actual point? That they may change? Noted. Doesn't change anything though, the improvement is obvious. Let's hope it doesn't get worse, yeh?

Or that it'll only be valid to see a direct comparison on the ground?

Can't be done, never will be possible, so an utterly pointless statement. Might as well point out that we can't compare Odyssey planets to their real versions because we can't go there to check.

Last edited:
It's usable to devs, who have so graciously given us footage.
Footage? When I have to compare something,that "something" should be available to me,not in advertising videos, then you may have your own ideas of course but to me this is still a bit premature.

Horizons planets are visible from space. You can compare horizons planets with the same base game planet right now and see the difference is obvious.

And yeh, we're not in Alpha. But he's comparing visuals, not game play. And the visuals are actual footage, not pre renders.

So what is your actual point? That they may change? Noted. Doesn't change anything though, the improvement is obvious. Let's hope it doesn't get worse, yeh?

Or that it'll only be valid to see a direct comparison on the ground?

Can't be done, never will be possible, so an utterly pointless statement. Might as well point out that we can't compare Odyssey planets to their real versions because we can't go there to check.
I was talking "between Odyssey stuff and Horizon stuff", do you have Odyssey planets to watch in game?

Top Bottom