Incrementally Improving PowerPlay - Make PowerPlay Open-Only

In all debates about PP most important is that Power play in open mode would not block any content that is currently availble in other parts of the game, this is current state of the game, it might change with Oddysey, but for now it's simple to move PP modules somwhere else and leave PP as multidimensinal PvP experiance for large palyerbases. Does elite support this within game engine? barely i would say, but PP playergroups use 3rd party tools already, so it shouldnt be used against it, but rather wishlist for FD for changes

I don't see an endgame career path. There's no such think in ED technically.

I disagree. That's just my subjective opinion I'm afraid.
the ideal recruit for a power is someone who has all their unlocks & other distractions completed and is efficient & familiar with all aspects of the game. End-gamers, basically, looking around for something to keep them interested. they can slot-in easily to all the things we do, and quickly be a valuable part of the team.
You can pledge at any time, not just end-gamers, and these folks are welcome too, but they need a lot more help & guidance and take a lot longer to become a net-contributor.
All in all, Powerplay is not restricted to being an end-game activity (Blaze your own trail, remember?) but to significantly participate, it is an endgame activity.
edit: and youre welcome to disagree on any particular point, naturally. not much point in discussion otherwise :)

PP is a multiplayer feature, that SP demand it’s available for them, breaking it in the process. A lot like Fleet Carriers.

Another huge problem in the game is credits have nowhere to be spent... because players with all the credits, and infinite rebuys effectively, have mass horded credits in SP or PG without any real threat of being shot down, especially when participating in PP.

Literally every feature in this game needs to stop being held up for SP to ruin it. If it’s a multiplayer intended feature, add it to multiplayer.
It really is the worst strategy ever to constantly pander to a game mode that the features aren’t designed for.
FCs need to go back to being squadron assets as well. Refund everyone their carriers, and make them buy it as a squadron asset. If some SPer freak wants to cry about having to spend 10m Cr on a squadron to sit in on their own first, let them cry...

10,000% in on this.
FDev need to grow a pair and stop removing all risk from the game to pander to the cry babies.

the ideal recruit for a power is someone who has all their unlocks & other distractions completed and is efficient & familiar with all aspects of the game. End-gamers, basically, looking around for something to keep them interested. they can slot-in easily to all the things we do, and quickly be a valuable part of the team.
You can pledge at any time, not just end-gamers, and these folks are welcome too, but they need a lot more help & guidance and take a lot longer to become a net-contributor.
All in all, Powerplay is not restricted to being an end-game activity (Blaze your own trail, remember?) but to significantly participate, it is an endgame activity.
edit: and youre welcome to disagree on any particular point, naturally. not much point in discussion otherwise :)
It's so multifaceted that you can contribute tons at an early stage. Prep hauling and BGS especially are pretty safe and crucial elements of PP, and don't require engineering or even particularly expensive ships to get into. Great thing about getting in early game guys is that some day they'll be endgamers and may still be with you/come back. There's more chance for you to "not get" stuff as an early player, but spin up is quick in an organised group. Also, groups where everyone is hardcore don't necessarily have an attractive culture ;)

It's so multifaceted that you can contribute tons at an early stage. Prep hauling and BGS especially are pretty safe and crucial elements of PP, and don't require engineering or even particularly expensive ships to get into. Great thing about getting in early game guys is that some day they'll be endgamers and may still be with you/come back. There's more chance for you to "not get" stuff as an early player, but spin up is quick in an organised group. Also, groups where everyone is hardcore don't necessarily have an attractive culture ;)
there is nothing elitist about the way our ickle power goes about things. Being realistic about what makes for an ideal new recruit, doesnt mean you disrespect others.

I think the inability for any playergroup to control who joins a power, creates a better environment naturally. there is no way to really enforce membership terms or anything like that, and we're just grateful for any assistance that isnt counterproductive.

A lot of our 'endgamers' arent hardcore in their contribution, they do the bare essentials needed to keep rank or votes, and dont have time for much else. They just get on and do what they can with the time they can spare.

anyhow, hope that clarifies my meaning. It seemed from your reply youd concluded we were a caricature of toxic elitist gamers, and thats an injustice to what is a fascinating global mix of diverse & helpful people.

[..]
Make PowerPlay Open-Only
[...]

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement in general. If memory serves me correctly, Powerplay was created so CMDRs can directly control the ebb and flow of their power's territory, but FD didn't anticipate exploiting its features to ruin a power.

it's FD's belief that they should keep hands off of this gamemode, since interfering too hard will cause the majority of people using Powerplay to not use it. But not making it Open-Only will mean that people can't actively abuse game mechanics, such as infinite-shield turret boats, invisible 5C botting, invisible forting, etc. It's clearly the most devoted that give a damn about this game and it's about time it's reflected that way.

Moving PP modules to the tech-brokers won't prevent "casuals" from dropping into PowerPlay, as there are several other good reasons to do that:

Explorers returning from long trips with a lot of carto data will want to rank-up with LYR for the triple payout (I got 2.3 billion).

Pewpew enthusiasts will want to rank-up with Hudson, ALD, or Antal for the increased bounties (especially now that the base payout has been increased).

Players working the BGS in Winters, Aisling, or Grom space will want to rank-up for double Influence.

IIRC, when Open-only PP was first suggested (and many arguments erupted), a popular compromise was that actions not in Open would contribute less. PP merits carried into any other mode could be flagged as "compromised" and count for maybe 50% of their normal effect on the Power. If the effect on the player's rank is the same, then I think that would be a good compromise.

Though there would still be the possibility of being in not-really-Open mode where you avoid being instanced with other players, not sure what the solution to that would be.

Pray, elucidate, how will Open Only solve people playing against the Power's interests from inside the Power?

Because if they can only haul PP cargo, undermine systems or whatever in Open-Only, these ships can be found and destroyed and thus our power is protected

Top Bottom