ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous Coming to Xbox Game Pass!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
@Paul_Crowther is this for a specific duration or indefinitely?

GamePass usually lasts for 1 month+(sure Ive seen them there for 3 months before but could be wrong), not sure of end date but the idea is to temporarily allow people to access the full game so they play it and buy it later on not to 'give it' to them for free. The idea is to get someone hooked on the game. GamePass games usually are slightly newer than the 'free' monthly games for Gold members which are usually the base game, DLC available type or not the latest edition. Using AC as an example the previous game is always on Gold for free when a new game releases, have the old one for free and hopefully buy the new one. GamePass is play the current game for free for a limited time but long enough to make it a habit or that you put some hours in and then cut off access and hope you buy.

GamePass usually lasts for 1 month+(sure Ive seen them there for 3 months before but could be wrong), not sure of end date but the idea is to temporarily allow people to access the full game so they play it and buy it later on not to 'give it' to them for free. The idea is to get someone hooked on the game. GamePass games usually are slightly newer than the 'free' monthly games for Gold members which are usually the base game, DLC available type or not the latest edition. Using AC as an example the previous game is always on Gold for free when a new game releases, have the old one for free and hopefully buy the new one. GamePass is play the current game for free for a limited time but long enough to make it a habit or that you put some hours in and then cut off access and hope you buy.

ok yes makes sense, I'm getting games with gold and game pass mixed up

GamePass usually lasts for 1 month+(sure Ive seen them there for 3 months before but could be wrong), not sure of end date but the idea is to temporarily allow people to access the full game so they play it and buy it later on not to 'give it' to them for free.

FYI - Ace Combat 7 was added in March 2020 and is still on game pass. So duration is wholly dependent on the platform holder it seems.

If I was making the decision, I`d leave it on until the release of odyssey on consoles. And then pull it. :devilish:

If I was making the decision, I`d leave it on until the release of odyssey on consoles. And then pull it. :devilish:
They may leave it on forever - which is essentially what they did on Epic as those games never expire. ofc if you want to add Odyssey then I'm sure they can hook you up for a reasonable price 😈

They may leave it on forever - which is essentially what they did on Epic as those games never expire. ofc if you want to add Odyssey then I'm sure they can hook you up for a reasonable price 😈

If they leave it on gamepass forever I wonder if they will be tempted to advertise Odyssey in-game.

That will please many people :ROFLMAO: .

My friend told me the other day XB Game pass will be included with Xbox Live Gold and be free. I'll check with him again because he's leaving ps4 for Xbox series x.

My friend told me the other day XB Game pass will be included with Xbox Live Gold and be free

Not quite. But nearly.

Closest you can get to what you describe is to buy as much as you want of Xbox live (anything up to 3 years) which costs around £30/year on cdkeys, and then subsequently convert that membership to Game Pass Ultimate for £1.

I've seen content on Game Pass for several months, I think Stellaris was on there for at least 3 months, and I was able to buy DLC for it while technically not owning the game. Cities Skylines has been on there for a good while too.

But its truly the Netflix of Gaming right now. I've played, enjoyed and even brought several games which I wouldn't have looked at without Game Pass.

Last edited:
But Frontier had said there would be no subscription for ED. :sneaky:

The vast majority of Cmdrs are against the subscription formula. :D

The forums are going to be on fire ! Prepare the popcorn ! :eek: :sneaky:

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

My friend told me the other day XB Game pass will be included with Xbox Live Gold and be free. I'll check with him again because he's leaving ps4 for Xbox series x.
Other way around. Gold is included in Game Pass and is free. Game Pass is seriously the best deal out there. ALL MS first party games are on there, so Horizon, Gears, Halo, State of Decay... everything is on XGP day one so I don't have to buy them separately. Considering I've always bought Gears and Halo, that's the price of 8 months of Game Pass.

Also... Elite plays better on the XS than PS5 because it isn't running on an emulator. The XS runs on the same platform as the One did, just better. No need for extra programming, just extra polishing for XS upgrades.

Last edited:
Greetings commanders!

We are excited to announce that Elite Dangerous will be available on Xbox Game Pass on 25 February!

View attachment 208596

Click here to learn more about Xbox Game Pass this February.

o7
20210215_223402.jpg.png

But Frontier had said there would be no subscription for ED. :sneaky:

The vast majority of Cmdrs are against the subscription formula. :D

The forums are going to be on fire ! Prepare the popcorn ! :eek: :sneaky:

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷
This isn't so much making ED a subscription model, it's just adding it to a currently available subscription model for those subscribers to experience. Those that own the game won't be affected by it at all, apart from current Xbox commanders who will probably see quite a few more Sidewinders flying about!

It's a really smart move in my opinion - get new players to experience the game before Odyssey drops. Games that are on Gamepass give you a discount to buy the title before it leaves, and I can't see the game being on the service indefinitely.

Something worth keeping in mind. One of the small bonuses of a game being on Game Pass is that any DLC for that game becomes 10% cheaper. That means anyone subscribed to Game Pass will be able to buy ARX at a discount. If the game is still on Game Pass when Odyssey becomes available, we'll be able to get that at a discount as well.

This isn't so much making ED a subscription model, it's just adding it to a currently available subscription model for those subscribers to experience. Those that own the game won't be affected by it at all, apart from current Xbox commanders who will probably see quite a few more Sidewinders flying about!

It's a really smart move in my opinion - get new players to experience the game before Odyssey drops. Games that are on Gamepass give you a discount to buy the title before it leaves, and I can't see the game being on the service indefinitely.
I was kidding of course.

It's a bit ironic. ;)

😷

Other way around. Gold is included in Game Pass and is free. Game Pass is seriously the best deal out there. ALL MS first party games are on there, so Horizon, Gears, Halo, State of Decay... everything is on XGP day one so I don't have to buy them separately. Considering I've always bought Gears and Halo, that's the price of 8 months of Game Pass.

Also... Elite plays better on the XS than PS5 because it isn't running on an emulator. The XS runs on the same platform as the One did, just better. No need for extra programming, just extra polishing for XS upgrades.
You're both wrong.

Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold are two separate subscriptions. Neither is included in the other.

However, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is a separate subscription, which includes both XGP and XLG.

So I guess the the networking/servers stability is gonna be even worse when thousands of new Cmdrs start blazing their own trails. :(

It's really rare for me to play 2-3 hours without colorful ships popping up... :(

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom