General Highlight Terrain Suitable for Landing and add Autolanding

Trying to land a large ship on some planets can be very difficult and time consuming.

It would be very handy if all ships would indicate areas on the surface that are suitable for landing when the landing gear is deployed.

Additionally, it would be nice to to have the ability to "autoland", similarly to how a ship lands when it is recalled by the player from the SRV.

The above is already in the game, just give players the ability use it when they are onboard their ship.

So the ship seems to be able to find these landing patches independently. There must be some sort of optimized selection process it goes through. Id like a visual representation of that too.

So the ship seems to be able to find these landing patches independently. There must be some sort of optimized selection process it goes through. Id like a visual representation of that too.

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes ship goes boom, sometimes it lands 2klms away up an unclimable cliff. The best way to get a ship to land safely is to drive to a nice safe landing area, which of course is easy to find when you are driving an SRV.

It would be very handy if all ships would indicate areas on the surface that are suitable for landing when the landing gear is deployed.

It does, as you fly over safe areas the ship and indicator turns blue.

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes ship goes boom, sometimes it lands 2klms away up an unclimable cliff. The best way to get a ship to land safely is to drive to a nice safe landing area, which of course is easy to find when you are driving an SRV.
That is sooo true. Never recall the ship from a steep valley. But on rolling hills, it seems to do really well. It would be nice to see those spots without skimming over the surface.

It does, as you fly over safe areas the ship and indicator turns blue.
If you are flying a large ship, it might take 10 minutes of flying around and waiting for the indicator to turn blue. Sometimes it turns blue but the ship still won't touch down for whatever reason.

What I'm suggesting is highlight the areas on the scanner which you can fly over and land on when you're landing gear is deployed. Saves you the hassle of wasting your time flying around in hope of finding a safe landing spot by chance.

It's 3307, I'm sure that kind of technology won't be groundbreaking, considering that we already have docking computers and supercruise assist. :)

Or, just project this onto night vision style canopy output, with flat areas blue with height adding colouration. So like the Predator you have low light, landing, off.

What i dont understand is the big problem of a big ship to find a place to land cause
Biger Ship = longer and bigger landing Gear = more compensation possible on uneven Terrain
for example the Ship on the picture has 2.5 Km in diameter

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 52
What i dont understand is the big problem of a big ship to find a place to land cause
Biger Ship = longer and bigger landing Gear = more compensation possible on uneven Terrain
Agreed. I assume the reason for this is because the landing gear in ships does not have suspension for some reason (unlike SRVs). Hopefully this gets added with Odyssey.

It 'cheats'. Try a Vertical Take Off and Land when youve recalled it and sometimes you cant physically get the ship to land again in the exact spot it landed itself coz the terrain isnt suitable. It has more allowance than we do as players. Thats why occasionally it lands and theres a 'molehill' under the docking bay and you cant even get to it and have to send it away and recall again. If it didnt 'cheat' sometimes thered be an extra long SRV drive to get a flat spot, as well as those time it lands at the top edge of the canyon.
Sometimes it turns blue but the ship still won't touch down for whatever reason.

Try ramming it down with thrust and tilting nose up and down. Sometimes spinning on the spot helps, you cant land facing that way but you can land facing this way. Some spots yeah just too small or something and it wont register it. Sometimes the safecracker game gets it to land.

Try ramming it down with thrust and tilting nose up and down. Sometimes spinning on the spot helps, you cant land facing that way but you can land facing this way. Some spots yeah just too small or something and it wont register it. Sometimes the safecracker game gets it to land.

Once it turns blue I can always land, but sometimes the angle isn't actually true, I just take my hand of the stick and press the down thruster and the ship angles itself to the correct landing angle and "lands". I've never had it turn blue but not been able to actually land, albeit with a little bit of thruster fiddling.

put the dang ship on a tether and haul it behind you until you find a flat spot big enough to put it on. Make sure the tether has a poopy bag on it incase of a shippy accident.

The terrain is already high lighted to land on.
Auto land? LOL
The tears would be fanatstic.
That would be one module never used. By me anyways.
Take your large ship to guardian sites or crystalline structure sites and tell us how that works for you.

Last edited:
The terrain is already high lighted to land on.
I did mention several times that by "highlight" I mean show all landable areas within range on the scanner and/or canopy.
That would be one module never used. By me anyways.
Why? If you've ever tried landing on a planet with rugged terrain in a large ship you'd know what I mean and why people would use it.

C'mon man, read before you post.

I did mention several times that by "highlight" I mean show all landable areas within range on the scanner and/or canopy.

Why? If you've ever tried landing on a planet with rugged terrain in a large ship you'd know what I mean and why people would use it.

C'mon man, read before you post.

Most of us have, and yes we can read.

It takes a while to get used to, but the current HUD is ok. Just stop trying to land on mountain sides m'kay?

(Will be interesting to see how the new planet tach changes things in EDO :) )

Top Bottom