"update required" bug

I re-installed Elite Dangerous after a few years and after logging in everytime I open the launcher it goes to the "update required" pop up and then closing. I've read through some of the solutions posted here and elsewhere of setting updates to high priority and rebooting Steam which has not resolved the issue. any assistance would be appreciated.

That’s right yeah. That is how I start all my games on Steam.

I was referring to the fact that some people say that right-clicking in the library and selecting play there overcomes this issue. (I have never experienced it, just passing-on info):

steam play.jpg

Personally, I use a desktop shortcut (adding of which is shown) which has always worked-out for me.

Good luck

great I have been able to launch the game. thanks, now it is saying I need to redeem my purchase ...I have the game in my steam library.

askdjlfhnkwejuu!

I have already done that. I have raised a support ticket with Frontier. I think there migh be a back end issue.

great I have been able to launch the game. thanks, now it is saying I need to redeem my purchase ...I have the game in my steam library.

askdjlfhnkwejuu!

Well at least that is a known issue for which there is a FAQ on the site, where said FAQ has an issue of its own. Good luck..

EDIT DUE TO REVAMP (again) OF SUPPORT SITE:

(I see they have a video on there about this issue)

Last edited:
A lot of people are reporting that issue atm and have been over the last couple of days.

Can we please have an update on this??

A lot of people are reporting that issue atm and have been over the last couple of days.

Can we please have an update on this??
People have been reporting this for months and months. FDEV knows about it by now, they just don't seem to care that much (or they are too busy putting out other fires).

Good luck.

I abandoned Steam long ago because of these kinds of issues. If you bought your copy of Elite a while ago you don't actually need steam. I bought in 2019 and was able to simply download the Frontier installer directly from the Frontier store site. After using that installer, I can now log in without Steam being involved.

I abandoned Steam long ago because of these kinds of issues.
-our squadron also mostly play via steam and we've been playing the most of the week without issues, so i am also fairly certain it is a localized issue.
It does warrant fixing in any case imo.

Top Bottom