Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

"An example of where a civilian ship would be needed might be a case of mass casualties. If there are thirty people in need of medical attention, you probably wouldn't have that kind of capacity on a destroyer, you would need some sort of hospital ship, which may have more advanced facilities (specialized imaging and surgery suites that a destroyer wouldn't have)."

Can't wait to see this surgeon simulator gameplay 👨‍🏫.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, kind of. For example, if someone's ship randomly blows up for no reason at all so they are stuck on a planet for example, they can request someone come and pick them up for money. Its probably what the mean by "missions".
Well, that is the same basic principle behind the Fuel Rats. It is not a game mission per se but the game allows it and happens organically. So, fair.

But the similarities end there. The thing is that in general players getting stranded in ED occur due those players trying to accomplish some actual gameplay loop in the first place (be it the exploration loop, bgs loop, trading loop, an actual mission or whatever) and losing their ships or fuel within the game system and rules, whereas in SC more often than not that is not the case given the lack of gameplay loops, and it is rather often due to bugs, glitches etc.

Last edited:
Classic case of future-as-present tense.

Are 2 ships that don't exist in game yet the best rescue ships? What a worthwhile discussion!

Merry Christmas!

luwcG8k.png

Well, that is the same basic principle behind the Fuel Rats. It is not a game mission per se but the game allows it and happens organically. So, fair.

But the similarities end there. The thing is that in general players getting stranded in ED occur due those players trying to accomplish some actual gameplay loop in the first place (be it the exploration loop, bgs loop, trading loop, an actual mission or whatever) and losing their ships or fuel within the game system and rules, whereas in SC more often than not that is not the case given the lack of gameplay loops, and it is rather often due to bugs, glitches etc.

Well, SC does have the ability for people to make missions (like personal transport) and pay each other directly, so there is that. Its one thing SC does that ED lacks.

My problem with PvP in Star Citizen is that I can never really find actual good fights. Only ambushes. I don't consider mining rocks, and then a ship suddenly comes and blows it up to be a fun fight.

If I try to play as a good, lawful citizen, pretty much the only opportunity for PvP I get is asking people at Port Olisar to duel me. Otherwise... how do you find a good fight? Good luck trying to bounty hunt. 75% of the time the bounty hunter is in QT so you never reach them, and then they log off and you've wasted half an hour trying to reach them. The other 25% of the time a bounty is just AFKing in GrimHEX so you can't fight them either. So that means you either have to hang out at Kareah and hope that someone will come within a couple hours, and if someone does come, more than likely they just want to practice FPS combat against the NPC bandits. If actual prisoners come... that is actually pretty exciting but very rare. It seems criminals are content to just log out in prison and let the timer lapse and then continue playing the next door or a day later. And if you think waiting at Kareah for several hours to be boring, try guard duty. Snore

The only way to get into actually interesting fights is to be a criminal with a bounty, and then you have to hope a bounty hunter actually comes to you. Most of the times they don't. I see a ping on my radar, and I get excited... but no, it's just NPC security forces. Snore

Right now in SC, if you want to have fun shooting another player... it's pretty much just ambushes. Ambushing a miner or a cargo ship, but they don't really shoot back. Either they get blown up, or they jump away. I guess I can follow a miner into a cave, and then fire a few shots to tip the miner off and give him time to equip his weapons, and then we get into a cave shootout.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Well, SC does have the ability for people to make missions (like personal transport) and pay each other directly, so there is that. Its one thing SC does that ED lacks.

That´s fair. Thing is there is a reason why not many MMOs have that kind of feature. And I suspect that is because player to player hires, especially in the absence of a fully fledged and self balanced player economy such as EVE´s, is probably greatly open to exploits and abuse of all kinds including serious gold farmer risks. We dont see many of those yet in SC because there is really not that many gameplay loops, persistence or economy to speak of where the abuse can be felt or become really aggravating. It is alpha after all, so who cares, let´s just chuck in a player to player hire system and be on our way!

One potential solution (still not ideal) to prevent abuse once the thing becomes an actual game (other than a full player to player economy) would be to have caps or non negotiable preset values for the rewards in those player missions (or even make them free just for roleplay purposes), but if they do then they would need to compete with game system generated missions. Not an easy balance either and another reason why you do not see those often.

Last edited:
That´s fair. Thing is there is a reason why not many MMOs have that kind of feature. And I suspect that is because player to player hires, especially in the absence of a fully fledged and self balanced player economy such as EVE´s, is probably greatly open to exploits and abuse of all kinds including serious gold farmer risks. We dont see many of those yet in SC because there is really not that many gameplay loops, persistence or economy to speak of where the abuse can be felt or become really aggravating. It is alpha after all, so who cares, let´s just chuck in a player to player hire system and be on our way!

One potential solution (still not ideal) to prevent abuse once the thing becomes an actual game (other than a full player to player economy) would be to have caps or non negotiable preset values for the rewards in those player missions (or even make them free just for roleplay purposes), but if they do then they would need to compete with game system generated missions. Not an easy balance either and another reason why you do not see those often.

Yes, its perhaps a reason why FD haven't added the ability to make direct transfers. It also undermines the whole piracy gameplay with hatch breakers.

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
My favourite comment in that thread: '... or let the game be permanently relegated to the sidelines like EVE'

A game that was released eighteen years ago and is still going strong.

PC Gamer Sweden: Best Online RPG 2003
SuperPlay GULDPIXELN 2003: Online Game of the year
2003 Gamespy Best Graphics
2005 MMORPG.com Best Graphics, Best PvP, Favorite Company, and Reader's Choice Best Game
2006 MMORPG.com Favorite Graphics, Favorite PvE, Favorite PvP, Favorite Story, and Favorite Game
2007 MMORPG.com Best Overall Game of 2007
2009 MMORPG.com Game of the Year
2010 MMORPG.com Game of the Year
2011 MMORPG.com Game of the Year

Half a million subscribers

No. You wouldn't want to be relegated to those sidelines, would you?

My favourite comment in that thread: '... or let the game be permanently relegated to the sidelines like EVE'

A game that was released eight years ago and is still going strong.
I think it's still the 2nd most played MMO behind World of Warcraft. At least it's been in this position for many years.
As for the "sidelines", SC is there right now, generally people lost interest a long time ago and are surprised there's still something going on.

A game that was released eight years ago and is still going strong.

PC Gamer Sweden: Best Online RPG 2003
SuperPlay GULDPIXELN 2003: Online Game of the year
2003 Gamespy Best Graphics
2005 MMORPG.com Best Graphics, Best PvP, Favorite Company, and Reader's Choice Best Game
2006 MMORPG.com Favorite Graphics, Favorite PvE, Favorite PvP, Favorite Story, and Favorite Game
2007 MMORPG.com Best Overall Game of 2007
2009 MMORPG.com Game of the Year
2010 MMORPG.com Game of the Year
2011 MMORPG.com Game of the Year

Half a million subscribers

No. You wouldn't want to be relegated to those sidelines, would you?

Some of these guys live in their own reality bubbles.

The trouble is...all those that dumped Eve to their own very secluded version of the sidelines have turned up in SC harping on about how good Eve was/is and how or why SC should emulate it... all apparently just to irritate me :rolleyes:

And soon you'll have to listen to SC guys doing the same in the EDO bar ;)

EDIT: I'm genuinely so glad there's no proximity chat in there at the moment. If they ever add it I just imagine every bar will have at least one refugee from the latest 30k, grousing about the inability to sit down. You can just hear the bar talk now...

"Of course in my Connie, it's different. I like to hang around the mid-section..."

"YOU KNOW, the TROUBLE with F DEV, is they just don't understand IMMERSION..."

"Actually I feel the Banu have a far more interesting backstory..."

Last edited:
Interesting vid:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cn4y5NIsFA

2.9K Dislikes :) And the comments are hilarious at times.

And a statement from years ago for the ones who try and hate on any game as some kind of argument that it makes their game better:

Tried firing up the 3.13 PTU last night to test the new mining components...my first time in SC for a while. Crashed to desk immediately after I spawned in, tried again...30k'd before I reached the trains. :cautious:

The post that made me realise that just typing 'FUDster' isnt even funny anymore....its gone the way of 'Its Alpha'

Yeah, kind of. For example, if someone's ship randomly blows up for no reason at all so they are stuck on a planet for example, they can request someone come and pick them up for money. Its probably what the mean by "missions".

Emergent gameplay.

You can do that to a degree in ED as well. There's a Discord where you can 'hire' a FC to take you somewhere. Not officially sponsored (as in no direct payments but easily worked around with market mark-up and mark-down onboard for those that choose to and Frontier showing no signs of stopping that method*) but players will come up with their own ideas and do it anyway. Suppose in EDO you will be able to taxi a player around if you want as well, or pick up hitchhikers, in any ship with 2+ seats not just FCs.

*or can Wing up for 30s while other players hand in Wing missions or Multi Crew while they sell explo data or sell goods and get a share of the profits - again no sign of Frontier stopping it. They just don't like direct payments as in straight credit transfers from player to player.

In ED though a lot of players do it for free. There's a thread where FC owners announce 'trips' or routes and people jump on board. Or it just happens, saw just recently in the latest mystery thread a player asking 'Any FCs jumping back to bubble?' and virtually next post an FC owner said 'Leaving in 30 mins ish' so they jumped on board for free trip back. Little risk it seems as most people are genuine and the griefers got banned early on for exploiting players so players can trust the system. Some FC owners ask for fuel donations just as a request to help out not an 'agreed payment' like hiring one in above example, a lot don't even ask for that and just do it for fun or reasons.

No downvotes on spectrum, just picards.

:) The picard (or bald eagle as I cant help thinking of it) is one of the Spectrum indicators of feeling / commitment / fanboi / cult member that has majorly declined in use since 'Itll be done when its done' statement...as an investor in business its an early sign that something has changed and to sell up now before the crowd catches on and the price goes down and buy a different stock instead. "If you jump on the bandwagon, you've already missed the opportunity" J.D. Rockefeller, and still the best single investment advice I have ever heard, but also applies to other areas of life, like hype and expectations of something being delivered as described.

Top Bottom