Why is everything so dark?

The whole UI is way too dark, even with UI brightnes set to max. In addition the Radar is shining bright and is pretty not usable.
I don't know how you even got the Milky Way background that bright. I can barely see it. This is Odyssey for me
1621469623790.png

And this is what it would have looked like in Horizons
1621469657364.png

It feels more like there's too much contrast to me (more black but also more highlights), but I'm maybe not looking at the same things. It feels fine on planet surfaces. My main problem is that my HUD now seems really over-saturated. I assumed this was because I'd inadvertently screwed up a setting somewhere. But maybe they're connected.

It feels more like there's too much contrast to me (more black but also more highlights), but I'm maybe not looking at the same things. It feels fine on planet surfaces. My main problem is that my HUD now seems really over-saturated. I assumed this was because I'd inadvertently screwed up a setting somewhere. But maybe they're connected.

It's the weirdest mess. The elements on my hud that were a nice bright pure blue are now a dull mint blue-green kind of color, the orange portions are much dimmer, but the brighter yellowish target circle and lettering is so overblown that the characters bleed together and blur.

Attachments

• HUD.jpg
    HUD.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 110
I had made note of the fact that it was really dark during the Alpha phase. I normally play in VR but given that any walking around was going to be on a flat screen I decided to just stay on my monitor during the Alpha. Today, I wanted to see those amazing (yet dark) views and graphics of planets in VR. Sadly it was NOT Good.. In some places that had more light it looked GREAT. But their are so many dark shades and held back lighting in VR you get blobs of things you can not make out. Even the fleet carrier when not parked next to a star, looks horrible. As if black clouds are covering it in spots and all around. I tried to take a photo with my phone to show an example. Was hard to focus but I think you will get the picture. Or lack of.

This is VR Horizons:
20210520_165415.jpg

This is what it looks like in Odyssey:

20210520_161704.jpg

All of the dark spots are as if there is nothing there. These dark spots are everywhere a pitch black texture is rendered.

I will be waiting for a fix for this.

I don't know how you even got the Milky Way background that bright. I can barely see it. This is Odyssey for me
View attachment 227447
And this is what it would have looked like in Horizons
View attachment 227448
This comparison sums it up. Nicely done. I was banging my head against the wall at first, thinking I had done something funky. I'm probably going to refund for now if it's not updated and stick with Horizons. I can't play it this dark. lol

Part of the problem is that nebula are responding exactly inverse of how they should with the new light adaptation code. Normally, when you're looking at a bright object (like, say, staring at the full moon) your pupils contract and let in less light, and everything else appears darker (we'll just ignore the atmospheric effects for now). When looking into a dark moonless sky though, your pupils dilate to allow more light in so you can see fainter objects. Very simple and intuitive for anyone that's ever looked at the stars for more than a few minutes.

In Odyssey, looking at a bright object somehow makes the background nebula brighter. Compare these screenshots, and notice how Barnard's Loop is faintly visible while the star is in frame, but once I'm several hundred LS away from the star, Barnard's Loop is almost completely invisible.

Edit: Wow compression really did a number on this screenshot, but I think you get the point. Try it out in-game for yourself.

Attachments

• edborked.jpg
    edborked.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Top Bottom