Register with AMD FSR to add Elite

We'll see, in time, how FSR develops - as yet it is an unknown (in terms of personal experience using it).

As previously mentioned, implementing DLSS would cater to only a subset of players on PC and be of no benefit to console owners - so it doesn't seem to be a very likely candidate for COBRA development effort.
DLSS technique is what everyone will use over time. Intel got its own version as well when they launch their series. AMDs actually supports it as well but in their CDNA uarch. The problem is the discounted RDNA uarch that is the lowest denominator.

Look at Steam numbers. If you got for just Vulcan GPUs that spans the widest. You have about 35% being RTX capable. A number that fast grows. Elite doesnt need more legacy functions added. In 1-2 years you likely see 60% being RTX capable and 70% being DLSS type capable.

Do people really want this?

It looks horrible. There are better ways to get higher FPS.

And this is the absolute best option for FSR.
This is FSR 1.0, think back to what DLSS 1.0 was like.

Let's give them time to get it out in the wild and see how it matures.

I'm running a 2080XC Ultra so have DLSS already but am certainly interested in trying FSR to have a comparison between the two.

This is FSR 1.0, think back to what DLSS 1.0 was like.

Let's give them time to get it out in the wild and see how it matures.

I'm running a 2080XC Ultra so have DLSS already but am certainly interested in trying FSR to have a comparison between the two.
DLSS 1.0 was shader run while the AI was training. AMD doesnt have tensor cores in RDNA. This is why I said AMDs solution is CDNA.

I can guarantee you FSR is out within 2 years as AMD have canned it including the support while moving it to explicit functions like Nvidia and Intel uses. It´s just a gimmick until AMD incorporates tensor cores into their graphics line.

Then you may keep FSR for console peasants with horrible blur and smearing. And the shader support for PC is gone including old graphics cards.

And considering Fdevs cant even get draw call amounts and occlusion culling working this is the last thing we want them to focus on. Unless we want everything to look like the bugged neutron stars :D

Last edited:
DLSS 1.0 was shader run while the AI was training. AMD doesnt have tensor cores in RDNA. This is why I said AMDs solution is CDNA.

I can guarantee you FSR is out within 2 years as AMD have canned it including the support while moving it to explicit functions like Nvidia and Intel uses. It´s just a gimmick until AMD incorporates tensor cores into their graphics line.

Then you may keep FSR for console peasants with horrible blur and smearing. And the shader support for PC is gone including old graphics cards.

And considering Fdevs cant even get draw call amounts and occlusion culling working this is the last thing we want them to focus on. Unless we want everything to look like the bugged neutron stars :D
You people are not visionaries for sure and dont know nothing about development , Any proprietary technology will always be more difficult to adopt and not bring benefits to all gameplayers (DLSS is proprietary and only works on newer Nvidia cards) , on the contrary AMD is open sourcing the technology, meaning all developers will have access to it and will be commonly implemented alike everywhere.
The answer FDEV has more things to do than this or that reminds me Cyberpunk 2077 recent novel, they too were saying in the beginning that no more teams and developers were needed and that they had all under control, alter a few moths of bad reviews and all now they say otherwise and are actually expanding the studio more with more talent and developers and teams.

This is precisely what FDEV needs! more people and more talent and innovation in order to bring ED in par with recent advancements and be able to complete in time all that needs to be completed.

Coming to the FidelityFX resolution tech again , i think it will be widely adopted in future, and for now i agree may not be on par with DLSS, but does not mean will not run on Tensor Cores Later on or any other dedicated hardware that may come in future. this is the beauty of software in general, hardware is always bound limited to what is implemented when designed, software can evolve and be adapted to run better later on!

You people are not visionaries for sure and dont know nothing about development , Any proprietary technology will always be more difficult to adopt and not bring benefits to all gameplayers (DLSS is proprietary and only works on newer Nvidia cards) , on the contrary AMD is opensourcing the technology, meaning alll developers will have access to it and will be commonly implemented alike everywhere.
The answer FDEV has more things to do tahn this or that reminds me Cyberpunk 2077 recent novel, yhey too wwre saying in the beginning that no more temas and dbvelopers were needed and that they had all undercontrol, agter a few moths of bad reviews and all now they say otherwise and are actually expanding the studio more with more talent and developers and teams.

This is precisely what FDEV needs! more people and more talent and inovation in order to bring ED in par with recent advancements and be able to complete in time all that needs to be completed.

Coming to the FidelityFX resolution tech again , i think it will be widely adopted and for now ues may not be on par with DLSS, but does not mean will not run on Tensor Cores Later on or any other dedicated hardware that may come in future. this is the beauty of software in general, hardware is always bound limited to what is implemented when designed, software can evolve and be adapted to run better later on!

Patented Opensource? Thats as funny as it gets. Lowering the bar to the lowest denominator is not innovation either. We keep moving forward and doing upscaling in shaders without motion vectors or temporal elements is just a plain waste of time as you will get a massive IQ loss no matter what you do. This is not visionary, but simply a temporary pee in the pants solution until another permanent solution is ready.

DLSS isnt as crazy as you think. Intels version is called XeSS but based on the same concept. It´s no more different in reality as to what the companies do with driver tweaks. Here it is just who got the best trained AI algorithms. And call me crazy if you dont see tensor cores in AMDs RDNA3 or 4. And then FSR is out the window with 0 support. And what help did it do for Elite then to get smeared and blured graphics to boost FPS they could boost by fixing other issues. Or even by implementing standard new technologies like VRS and so on.

Note FSR needs as much developer integration as DLSS. DLSS today is simply a plugin for UE and Unity. A one man developer can add DLSS by a checkbox click.

I love AMD but fsr is trash. Meanwhile DLSS 2.0 is awesome but requires a modern engine.

Registered, still curious to see if we win the lottery

Last edited:
Patented Opensource? Thats as funny as it gets. Lowering the bar to the lowest denominator is not innovation either. We keep moving forward and doing upscaling in shaders without motion vectors or temporal elements is just a plain waste of time as you will get a massive IQ loss no matter what you do. This is not visionary, but simply a temporary pee in the pants solution until another permanent solution is ready.

DLSS isnt as crazy as you think. Intels version is called XeSS but based on the same concept. It´s no more different in reality as to what the companies do with driver tweaks. Here it is just who got the best trained AI algorithms. And call me crazy if you dont see tensor cores in AMDs RDNA3 or 4. And then FSR is out the window with 0 support. And what help did it do for Elite then to get smeared and blured graphics to boost FPS they could boost by fixing other issues. Or even by implementing standard new technologies like VRS and so on.

Note FSR needs as much developer integration as DLSS. DLSS today is simply a plugin for UE and Unity. A one man developer can add DLSS by a checkbox click.

You know nothing on FSR. It was only just announced. Your posts are full of FUD and assumptions

Bottom line is DLSS is proprietary and that is nvidia's big mistake own choice

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
DLSS technique is what everyone will use over time.
Unlikely - as DLSS is proprietary to one GPU OEM.
Intel got its own version as well when they launch their series.
We'll see how well it (and their GPUs) perform when released.
AMDs actually supports it as well but in their CDNA uarch. The problem is the discounted RDNA uarch that is the lowest denominator.
AMD probably could produce a direct DLSS competitor - the question is why didn't they?

I've seen speculation already that FSR may become popular due to its GPU agnosticism - and that RDNA3 may accelerate FSR.
Look at Steam numbers. If you got for just Vulcan GPUs that spans the widest. You have about 35% being RTX capable. A number that fast grows. Elite doesnt need more legacy functions added. In 1-2 years you likely see 60% being RTX capable and 70% being DLSS type capable.
Looking at the Steam hardware survey, NVIDIA 20 and 30 series GPUS are only about 13% of the total. Not sure where 35% is sourced.

AMD probably could produce a direct DLSS competitor - the question is why didn't they?

Looking at the Steam hardware survey, NVIDIA 20 and 30 series GPUS are only about 13% of the total. Not sure where 35% is sourced.
Because they cant with RDNA2. Same with their limited RT support with several features missing and performance with only a fraction of RTX cards. This is also why I dont believe AMD will put much effort behind FSR. Its a temporary solution before the real solution comes with integrations from CDNA into RDNA. RDNA1 had the same issues of lacking multiple important features that is required today. And AMD dropped it fast and never looked back.

For steam: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Look under Vulkan. RTX 2060 alone is ~10%. Without Vulkan support they are not playing any real games anyway when you consider what devices are supported.

Last edited:
Yet the 2060 only comprises 5.1% of DirectX 12 GPUs.

Given that COBRA does not use Vulkan (it uses DirectX 11), I'm not sure that using Vulkan as a yardstick is appropriate in this context.
Because DirectX 12 have a different requirement than just ownership of a DX12 capable card. You would have to filter out the different cards in the DX10, DX11 and DX12 sections and no you cant just use the numbers as some would not be in others. Some cards span all 3, some span 1 or 2. This is also why Steam lists Vulkan first.

Vulkan basically filters out all the useless crap that have no chance of running vanilla Elite either. AMD seems to start with GCN 1.0, Nvidia with Kepler. For Intel it began from the Skylake IGP. So we talk 9 years for GPUs and 7 years for IGPs.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Because DirectX 12 have a different requirement than just ownership of a DX12 capable card. You would have to filter out the different cards in the DX10, DX11 and DX12 sections and no you cant just use the numbers as some would not be in others. Some cards span all 3, some span 1 or 2. This is also why Steam lists Vulkan first.
It may be better then to look at the DirectX 11 results - as this is a Windows DX11 game - and the 2060 sits at 5.08% in that list.

It may be better then to look at the DirectX 11 results - as this is a Windows DX11 game - and the 2060 sits at 5.08% in that list.
No, because there is a ton of DX11 capable GPUs that cant run Elite. Technically not even all Vulkan GPUs can. Would you run it on HD 520/530 for example? 7 year old IGP?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
No, because there is a ton of DX11 capable GPUs that cant run Elite. Technically not even all Vulkan GPUs can.
Given the flexibility of the COBRA engine, there have been a number of reports, over the years, of players running the game on hardware that does not meet the minimum requirements. It depends on what criteria one sets to consider the game to be "running", i.e. some players can't accept framerates lower than 60FPS, some can.

Given the flexibility of the COBRA engine, there have been a number of reports, over the years, of players running the game on hardware that does not meet the minimum requirements. It depends on what criteria one sets to consider the game to be "running", i.e. some players can't accept framerates lower than 60FPS, some can.
A DX wrapper can also run it in software ;)

Vulkan just gives you the best reality view on what is out there for anything but 2D gaming.

9 year old GPUs from Nvidia and AMD and 7 year old IGPs from Intel.

Do people really want this?

It looks horrible. There are better ways to get higher FPS.

And this is the absolute best option for FSR.

I better choose 60+ fps than shiny picture but with lags.
Anyway DLSS/FFX didnt ruin quailty down too much to agruin against it.

I'm now playing 1080p x1.25 on 1440p screen cuz native res is completely laggy.
Kind of soap but what is option here?
And i suppose DLSS/FFX would allow me to play native res with even more oqulity picture than now.
So yes, i want this.

Yet the Steam hardware survey excludes all consoles - which are also expected to be able to run the game.
Consoles are Vulkan compatible too. But the Vulkan ecosystem is entirely different. Microsoft for example is unlikely to accept FSR as they want DirectML for it.

Top Bottom