ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

NO, they were asking to walk around in their Ships, where they spend 90% of their time.
I don't recall anyone asking for a Ground Based FPS.
"What we have here, is a failure to communicate" Cool Hand Luke
How much enjoyment and gameplay are we really going to get walking around our ships? The only time I can see that being something really exciting is if you're boarded by pirates. I'm far happier that they concentrated their efforts on stations and planet surfaces.

EDO seems terribly exciting, yet alas I won't be able to dip my toe in for another year when my PC is monstrous enough to run it, plus my policy is to never buy version 1.0 of anything, and always wait six months after any software or hardware release for them to shake most of the bugs out.
Blimey - there's a name from the past - good to see you again. Some of the old timers are still here :)

EDIT: an yes - give it 6 months, and all may be rather good - I'm battling through the pain, as I / we did with the original release. Although it was a bit more exciting then, after 20+ years / whatever

Where I think Odyssey should be going?

I have been playing Odyssey since launch now, but I am finished with it. The game is failing to keep pulling me back and there are several reasons for this. I think this game has the potential to be very realistic and immersive, but as of now it is very grindy, feels unrewarding and is unrealistic.

What should change in my opinion?
Materials Assets/Goods - these are physical objects that take up inventory slots. every object consumes a single slot even though they are different in size/weight. Realistically we should have a backpack with a volume. Items should have their own volume and weight. Weight should affect the player movement speed. Also since these are both physical object types, they should live in the same backpack. It makes no sense to me that these types are in separate storages.
Materials Data - Again we are dealing with slots. All data is sized equally. Since we are actually dealing with data and not thumbdrives(or whatever it may be in the future), data should consume some amount of storage capacity. Not all files should consume the same amount of space.

Grinding - I like the amount of materials and even the fact that there are irrelevant materials. It adds some complexity to the grind. Grinding is not inherently bad, as long as it leads to a rewarding feeling. Upgrading the Maverick Suit helps in better collection of resources. The other suits and related gameplay loops are simply not interesting.

What should change to the suits to make them relevant?
Dominator - There should be much harder combat related missions to make this suit valuable. these missions should have suit requirements, making grinding for it useful. These missions should be very rewarding. Think of forcing you to travel(flight exclusion zone, tunnels, etc) a long distance(require better oxygen/energy), having to enter a dark complex(require nightvision), no refills(require better ammo capacity)
Artemis - This suit can be interesting if we are really exploring something, instead of just stepping out of the ship. Think of deep beautiful caves here, with unique discoverables deep within or cave mining very exclusive resources where the value is determined by planet parameters(gravity, atmosphere, composition). I want to have the same experience as when dropping out next to a star for the first time.

Adding sufficient challenges making it worth to grind for the better gear.

Engineering - This also applies to Horizons.
With the Data I should be able to unlock a blueprint. Once unlocked I should only need materials(no data) to craft the blueprints. Realistically, I should be able to buy these rare resources, even if they are really expensive(cave mining?)
Pinning blueprints makes no sense to me. Why only be able to craft one of the blueprints? I should either be required to always visit the engineer or be able to learn(have it crafted once) all the available blueprints. Once crafted at the engineer it is craftable anywhere.

Prices
This needs a serious rebalance. Sidewinder cheaper than a P-15?

I really hope to see some of my suggestions or something similar implemented in the future. It would really help to make me enjoy the game a lot more and keep pulling me back. As of now the game just feels to basic and lacking any depth.

Dear Frontier,
After hundreds of hours to get (triple) "Elite" .. you find it nescessary to implement 5 more levels of "Elite" (on itself a weird idea .. you are or you are not, if you are a King, technically, no need to become King II or King III ) and by that decision, you are simply diminishing the meaning of the "end-achievement" (not the end of the game) of 'being Elite' (for as far as it had some meaning, except 'been trough the endless hours of grindy gameplay', which we accepted.) .. all the work that each player has done in the past and the 'psychological value' associated to having achieved this rank, while others have given up (comprehensively), is now lowered in the blink of an eye by this decision. What was the idea behind introducing new Elite ranks? Simply that it would make the people grind yet more again for each role? Do you sincerely believe you added some value to the game by choosing to do this ? You must be out of good idea's to take sush a gameplay decision, punishing the players that did the work to redo it again .. wel, it's it's not encouraging to me, on the contrary. I agree to go through the grind for the 2 new roles, but I will leave the rest as is, I won't chase the summum again (as it was not the summum apparently, who knew) .. I paid my due! ..
I'm not complaining (too much) about the bugs, the glitches, the disconnections, the states of the releases, the updates breaking other stuff, etc .. but with this one decision, I feel like you 'hollowed out' the essence of the game called Elite Dangerous (and not Elite V Dangerous), changing the rules mid-play is a pittyfull decision.
Now I'll go scan some plants, up to Elite 1 .. o7
PS: yes I love Elite, but this is my renewed opinion about it, and just a ventilation of one player ..

Dear Frontier,
After hundreds of hours to get (triple) "Elite" .. you find it nescessary to implement 5 more levels of "Elite" (on itself a weird idea .. you are or you are not, if you are a King, technically, no need to become King II or King III ) and by that decision, you are simply diminishing the meaning of the "end-achievement" (not the end of the game) of 'being Elite' (for as far as it had some meaning, except 'been trough the endless hours of grindy gameplay', which we accepted.) .. all the work that each player has done in the past and the 'psychological value' associated to having achieved this rank, while others have given up (comprehensively), is now lowered in the blink of an eye by this decision. What was the idea behind introducing new Elite ranks? Simply that it would make the people grind yet more again for each role? Do you sincerely believe you added some value to the game by choosing to do this ? You must be out of good idea's to take sush a gameplay decision, punishing the players that did the work to redo it again .. wel, it's it's not encouraging to me, on the contrary. I agree to go through the grind for the 2 new roles, but I will leave the rest as is, I won't chase the summum again (as it was not the summum apparently, who knew) .. I paid my due! ..
I'm not complaining (too much) about the bugs, the glitches, the disconnections, the states of the releases, the updates breaking other stuff, etc .. but with this one decision, I feel like you 'hollowed out' the essence of the game called Elite Dangerous (and not Elite V Dangerous), changing the rules mid-play is a pittyfull decision.
Now I'll go scan some plants, up to Elite 1 .. o7
PS: yes I love Elite, but this is my renewed opinion about it, and just a ventilation of one player ..
Understand that GRIND is the only "KING Elite" in this game,
and then you know the "why" behind so many decisions.

Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to share an update with you regarding the ongoing development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

2020 was a difficult year for many, but in spite of those challenges we are pleased with our progress towards what is a truly ambitious new era for the game. We’ve been delighted with the excitement and positive response to our development diaries, interviews, streams and trailers and want to thank all of you for your continued support.

The ongoing impact of the pandemic however, including the renewed lockdowns in 2021, continues to put added pressure on our teams and ultimately our development timeline. We have therefore had to make the difficult decision to make some adjustments and changes to our existing development roadmap.

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount, however our plans for the console release will unfortunately see a larger development shift. Please do know that these difficult decisions have been made with a focus on making Odyssey as incredible as it can possibly be for all our Commanders regardless of their platform, while also respecting realistic project deadlines for our teams during this difficult global situation.

We would like to sincerely apologise to all of our community. We know you have been waiting patiently and how disappointing and frustrating this must be. With that in mind, we would like to share with you our latest roadmap so that you are fully aware of our plans.

Alpha – early spring 2021
We are continuing with plans to bring Alpha access to our PC players and get boots on the ground. This will now be a little later than originally planned, in early spring.

Much like our original Elite Dangerous release, we will be taking a phased approach to our Alpha, bringing new features and systems online throughout the period. This will allow us to focus and best consider our community feedback while also providing vital user testing on key areas of the game. We will be sharing further information including details of feature drops and Alpha plans as we get closer to release.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Deluxe Alpha and Lifetime Expansion Pass holders will get access to this release.

PC release – late spring 2021
Following the completion of our Alpha phase we are targeting a full launch on PC in late spring.

As with every era in Elite Dangerous’ history, we will be closely engaging with our community and continuing to react to feedback refining Odyssey through to the console launch.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey pre orders will be able to access the game with this release.

Console release – autumn 2021

After continued feedback, iterations and balancing, we are targeting our release on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in the autumn of this year.

We understand that for many, this additional delay will be frustrating. Once again, we would like to apologise wholeheartedly to our community, especially our console Commanders. However, as mentioned previously, we feel it is vital to ensure that the content being released on consoles meets the highest standards and this will require this additional extension to our roadmap.

Throughout this time we will continue to bring more news, videos and content of the development in progress. We would like to thank you all for the ongoing support and we are very excited to bring in this new era to the game with you. Your feedback, support and involvement is a vital part of this process and we are looking forward to a shared Alpha experience, which will be touching down very soon.

o7 Commanders

Will there be any patches for consoles considering it feels like fdev don't give a damn anymore.

Also why am I being told from fdev oddyysey shouldn't of affected consoles but since oddyysey released the consoles bug have been getting worse?

What am driving at is the peace of mind that an LEP gives. I can disregard updates and wait out the bugs, why aggravate ourselves by being on the shakedown cruise of any new release of any game? Just wait six months - it's not the end of the World....
Jonty!!!

How very nice to see that you're still around - I remember you from when I joined the fun and games in the orignal beta.

I find it intriguing how self-admitted people that don't even play this game anymore, and in fact, are not able to even if they wanted, are clamoring for others to change their tone and emotions. For something that you haven't even bothered to experience :)

The in-game comms just said the servers are coming down in a few minutes to apply an update, "see galaxy forums for details". where are the details, please? Is there a thread for today's update? I hope it won't take 10 hours to download like yesterday's. I seem to spend more time updating than playing especially this week.

The in-game comms just said the servers are coming down in a few minutes to apply an update, "see galaxy forums for details". where are the details, please? Is there a thread for today's update? I hope it won't take 10 hours to download like yesterday's. I seem to spend more time updating than playing especially this week.
This, looking for said post as well. Maybe it'll be posted soon

I don't care about patch notes, I wouldn't even expect any after yesterday's scheduled patch. I would just like to know when the game is going to be available. I had to leave the PC running last night for it to finish the huge Thursday update, I can't believe this one is planned/scheduled, the roadmap said weekly not daily. So far in two whole days I've been able to play the game for about 2 hours.

Top Bottom