Please FD, just roll it back. We can all wait for it to be ready...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
He means Frontier's statement to investors as their end of year which saw a 12% drop in share value.
BTW: updates and fixes roadmap didn't really help CDPR after CP2077 infamous failed release :

1623430154254.png

Of course EDO is not to FD, what CP2077 is to CDPR.

Last edited:
everyone, so what is your opinion on plasma accelerators?
They are the best weapon in game.
They do absolute damage. Resistances? Bah!
2km damage fall off.

And they are the most difficult to use. This Is Balance. This Is Good.

PAs also kept me in the game for another 1000 hours or so because in order to use them successfully against a PvPer, you must be active with all laterals, have deliberate and calculated boosts, active pip management as well as the requisite situational awareness, etc.

PAs fry my brain. But when you hit a full volley of procced TC.
My God.

Unfortunately, because of the challenge of PAs, every other weapon maybe excepting rails, become a snorefest. It's too easy.

But that part of my life is over for now.
o7

They are the best weapon in game.
(...)

But that part of my life is over for now.
o7
Well, I guess using PAs with broken HUD indicators
is even more of a challenge then it was
therefore it should be more rewarding when you adapt :sneaky:

And seriously: I am not a native English speaker,
but ain't "that part of my life is over for now" an oxymoron?

I mean
"is over" is like definitive
and
"for now" is temporary

What I mean, obviously, is that it`s probably not "the end", just one of many bugs that appear to disappear soon.

BTW: PAs are using leading hud indicators.
Like multicannons.
MCs are also in gimballed version.

Now, does this bug make gimballed MCs miss the target notoriously in PVP?
Has anyone tested this (irrespectively from the issue of gimballed MCs being not-so-good PVP weapon, just to find out extensity of this bug).

We're all bloody conditioned by this maddening game at this stage I'd say!
Not anymore.

During my first 3000 hours I was the whitest of knights.
Then I became more aware of bugs.
Bugs that were never fixed.
Radio silence from Fdev about bugs.

currently tens of thousands of bugs on the issue tracker

Then Frontier turning to publishing and new IP.

It's Frontier's right to change focus. And mine to realize what Frontier has become.

Sean Murray's game might not be a Commander's cup of tea. BUT HE OBVIOUSLY LOVES HIS GAME.

There is a dialectic between game creators and those who choose to live in the game creators' worlds. Creators delight in making stuff and Users love exploring and manipulating them. Ideally it's a two way street.

There is no dialectic between Frontier and the Commander. Commanders get what they get, bugs and all. Frontier determines which bugs get fixed. Frontier determines when and if bugs get fixed. There is never an apology for having knowingly wasted our time.

Community Managers are used as underpaid Meat Shields in order to sustain the illusion that Frontier Management is listening. Anyone else notice the Community Manager turnover rate? I miss Ed!!!!

So no, I am not conditioned.
I wish Frontier well on it's way to being a corporate giant. I had a lot of fun playing Elite Dangerous and surely got my money's worth.

But alas, parting is inevitable.

o7

Like multicannons.

Has anyone tested this (irrespectively from the issue of gimballed MCs being not-so-good PVP weapon, just to find out extensity of this bug).
Gimballed weapons haven't been viable in PvP since before Horizons. You just ran chaff and you can't hit the broad side of a barn any more. So I don't think many will even try that.

Well, I guess using PAs with broken HUD indicators
is even more of a challenge then it was
therefore it should be more rewarding when you adapt :sneaky:

And seriously: I am not a native English speaker,
but ain't "that part of my life is over for now" an oxymoron?

I mean
"is over" is like definitive
and
"for now" is temporary

What I mean, obviously, is that it`s probably not "the end", just one of many bugs that appear to disappear soon.
that part of my life is over = that part that loves organized PvP is over
for now= temporarily

It's impossible to hit that plasma accelerator reticule, it's like trying to drive a car without a steering wheel and functioning brakes.

:(

FA off PvP is difficult. It is very technical and requires a lot of patience and an ability to pick yourself up after repeated failure. It is not magic. Great PvP is about diligence and training.

Gimballed weapons haven't been viable in PvP since before Horizons. You just ran chaff and you can't hit the broad side of a barn any more. So I don't think many will even try that.
Of course.
I am just wondering if it's only visual problem with indicator,
or total mess and "ship AI" has lost it's spatial orientation.

Deleted member 192138

D
Like multicannons.

When present, the bug would effect gimbals just the same. Reference my post where I say that writing a comprehensive report would require more testing to determine and reproduce the conditions in which this bug presents to determine what triggers it - which is a level of effort over and above what I've already put into with adding numerous issues to the tracker as part of my Odyssey gameplay, where that was the only PvP I've done since its release.

And yes, hunvagy is correct that gimbals are mostly ignored in PvP because if you have double chaff you can basically just lock down their DPS potential for 5 minutes.

Of course.
I am just wondering if it's only visual problem with indicator,
or total mess and "ship AI" has lost it's spatial orientation.
Yeah, think I saw a thread whoosh past that ground AI also stopped working, but I couldn't be bothered to click and read :D

Yeah, think I saw a thread whoosh past that ground AI also stopped working, but I couldn't be bothered to click and read :D
If it was about scavengers stupor plague, then it's stretched too wide.
"Ship AI" in context of aiming is just a "calculator"
that determines collision course of weapon projectiles based on angles, distances and velocities (of both ships and projectiles).

I doubt it has anything to do with "ground AI".

This place is magical. It's the best place in the entire game for me, and it's right in our own solar system. I'm a top 100 or so pvper in this game, I love pvp, but my love for pvp is NOTHING compared to how much I love these canyons. These canyons were what separated this game from other games. Here we could see the stellar forge (probably with some handwork, let's be honest), creating a truly unique environment, exactly the right size and twistiness for a proper canyon run.

I don't need anywhere else like this, I told myself. Just this place is good enough. There are handful of other planets with such good canyons, please, nobody mention pomeche, those canyons are weeeeeak.
I understand perfectly what you mean, but why not petition to get these canyons left as-is in odyssey and have the PA targeting addressed ?
This would be a lot more sensible thing to do and would be possibly a lot easier than rolling back 3 weeks of gameplay for fdev (can't imagine the outcry on the forums).

Wel, FA off is generally not a duck soup.

I thought I can fly FA-OFF once, stabilize the rotation etc.
Until I tried something smaller then Cutter :sneaky:
During the time I was learning FA off, I would often use the Cutter and other large ships. I figured countering vectors would be easier on ships that are not twitchy. Then I was doing a lot of trading to get my fed and empire rank up. I am not sure if it's an optimal way to learn fa off, but it seemed to me a lot less frustrating.

Landing the Cutter I would turn fa on. I cannot tell you how many times the left nacelle got hung up on the pad's left rear lightpost. Whoever decided to install those rear lightposts had quite the sense of humor!

No "like" from me, even though I agree (mostly).
I just can't force myself to like a post with such conclusion,
even knowing that "liking" a post doesn't mean you have positive reaction to the content.

I just can't.
No worries.
Elite Dangerous is a fantastic thing. A 1:1 copy of the Milky way and the Most Challenging Yet Fun flight model, ever.

But, I had a dream of what Elite might become. A template for player generated stories like Mass Effect, for instance. Or imagine procedurely generated atmospheres. Procedurally generated geography based on procedurally generated atmospheres and planets. Procedurally generated flora and fauna based on procedurally generated atmospheres and geology. A virtual galaxy ripe for modelling, etc.

However I realize now that it is extremely unlikely that the game will have the significant resources that that vision may require. I hope I am wrong.

But you have a different dream and hopefully more likely to be realized.

o7
:)

Elite is probably the best game I have known.

Well, ex aequo with GTA online, because I have been playing GTA for years with my kid as he was growing older and older until he outgrew me ;) Sentimental value lvl 999.

And simultaneously ED is

the WORST, EPIC example of wasted potential.

It's just painful to see how close it is to something truly marvelous,
but instead of being really taken care of,
it's just pushed or kicked forward as cheaply as possible,
constantly on the verge of falling apart,
patched beyond recognition with duct tape.
And somehow it holds, for years.

Because we care, and we forgive,
surely not thanks to FD.

But I agree, if nothing changes, collapse is inevitable.

Last edited:
I suppose you are aware that most games and in fact most applications, consist of an application part, and a database part. There is no need to lose any data when rolling an application version forward or back, but please feel free to carry on banging your head against this wall.
Well... if you do a simple rollback, losing 3 weeks of data,... then yes, it should be simple... but everybody loose 3 weeks... rollback horizon to pre may 19th, FDev will loose a lot more credibility, will probably have to refund everybody and abort project 'odyssey' once and for all.

That said, if you don't want to loose the data... you better make sure that there is a LOT of compatibility between the old database and the new one...
This would probably require the devs to spend a lot of time just checking if there won't be server crashes because of the database diff (structure and data).

Personally, I would rather see the dev addressing the bugs than spending a lot of time checking if the DB downgrade won't mess up the game even more...

(edited typos)

Last edited:
Well... if you do a simple rollback, loosing 3 weeks of data,... then yes, it should be simple... but everybody loose 3 weeks... rooback horizon to pre may 19th, and fdev will loose a lot more credibility and probably will have to refund everybody and abort project 'odyssey' once and for all.

That said, if you don't want to loose data the data... you better make sure that they is a LOT of compatibility between the old database and the new one...
This would probably require the devs to spend a lot of time just checking if there won't be server crashes because of the database diff (structure and data).

Personally, I would rather see the dev addressing the bugs than checking if the DB downgrade won't mess up the game even more...
I would certainly do my best to ensure nothign was lost in terms of odyssey progress, but those who lost 4 years of BGS work, trump people's 3 weeks in Odyssey if it comes down to actual data rollbacks. And I'm not one of them to say that in a self serving way.

I hope they can hand craft at least some important stuff if they won't reroll the planets.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom