EDO Performance low priority

You do realize, that some of that performance issue might actually be, and very likely are, related to the rendering engine issues? What is messing up the material pipeline may also be causing a considerable hit to the performance.
If that was the case I would have expected some mention in the livestream about how the fixes to the lighting renderer would improve performance. There was no mention of this.

The reasons for Odyssey limping like a lame dog are irrelevant to me as the end user. What riles me is that Fdev appear to to treating performance as an afterthought and not a top priority. Fix all the bugs you like, I don’t want to play a game with framerates lower than the original 80’s Elite.

If that was the case I would have expected some mention in the livestream about how the fixes to the lighting renderer would improve performance. There was no mention of this.

The reasons for Odyssey limping like a lame dog are irrelevant to me as the end user. What riles me is that Fdev appear to to treating performance as an afterthought and not a top priority. Fix all the bugs you like, I don’t want to play a game with framerates lower than the original 80’s Elite.
And those bugs might be part of the reason for the low frame rates. FD hasn't really shared anything pivotal with us of the reason for the low framerates, so I'm merely guessing here. But considering for example shadows are one of the biggest reason for tanking frame rates, that clearly indicates some causation for low performance. There's something there causing a bottleneck and if they find that, they may also improve the performance.

And those bugs might be part of the reason for the low frame rates. FD hasn't really shared anything pivotal with us of the reason for the low framerates, so I'm merely guessing here. But considering for example shadows are one of the biggest reason for tanking frame rates, that clearly indicates some causation for low performance.

I appreciate what you're saying here and your guess is as good as mine when it comes to root causes-but it doesn't detract from my view that FDev have their priorities back-to-front. Performance improvements on a major game addition running as poorly as this one does should be front and centre on the to-do list of improvements, not a subject to be totally avoided in livestream communication.

There are 3 major issues with Odyssey
1. Planet tech is botched
2. Too Dark.
3. Performace makes the game unplayable for some (mainly CZ and settlement)

From all 3 I would say Performace is the worst.

You forgot issue 4: missions not completing / rewards not being given. Plus various other gameplay issues.

Have you considered a cat picture to brighten your mood?

What he really wants is another X4 screenshot.

x4-7.jpg

These are all linked to the problems the render engine itself has and can be fixed. But how long that takes is an entirely different matter.
Each stage of the graphic engine seem to have issues. I'm afraid that's the conception itself wich is the issue. And that can't be fixed.

Each stage of the graphic engine seem to have issues. I'm afraid that's the conception itself wich is the issue. And that can't be fixed.
With that attitude, do you think humans would have been able to go to the Moon back in 1969?

Where there's a will there's a way, and you do believe in free will right? :alien:

I don't have 30+ FPS issues given my system is pretty beasty (see signature). So, this is not a complaint - I'm just sharing some info.

I have been watching the gpu % during different aspects of gameplay, and I noticed that while doing horizons stuffs (not on an installation planet side or not in a station on foot) the gpu is < 20% .. as soon as I go onto a planet installation it jumps to 50% .. and when I get out on foot to go into the concourse it shoots up to 70%.. that's quite amazing given I'm on a RTX 3070. Horizons sat < 10% the entire time I played it on this setup.

On my ASUS ROG laptop during the beta I couldn't even play it on the lowest settings in full screen on a GTX 980 due to both performance and the textures never loading right causing everything to be out of place. I don't even try to play this game on there.

I do hope to see some improvement.

1623926548735.png

Top Bottom