EDO Performance low priority

I'm running the game on a i5 gen4 and a GTX960. I'm playing in "high" / full HD res and I get about 15 fps flying around the stations ! I never got that a low framerate ever in the game since EDO ; I feel ashamed. I have read David Braben's post the other day and I don't understand how (the hell?) he could get close to a decent framerate on ground ?

Not saying that it's very environmentally damaging to push people buying a new graphic card. The same happens with CyberPunk 2077 btw and I had to resist. This, once again, is shameful.

I'm running the game on a i5 gen4 and a GTX960. I'm playing in "high" / full HD res and I get about 15 fps flying around the stations ! I never got that a low framerate ever in the game since EDO ; I feel ashamed. I have read David Braben's post the other day and I don't understand how (the hell?) he could get close to a decent framerate on ground ?
Depends on your definition of "decent." Personally, I take it as CorpSpeak. If people with 3090s struggle to get above 40fps, there's no way that his 980 can pull anything close to "decent."
Not saying that it's very environmentally damaging to push people buying a new graphic card. The same happens with CyberPunk 2077 btw and I had to resist. This, once again, is shameful.
Environment aside, we all have to upgrade occasionally, it wouldn't be as much of a pain if those new graphic cards which, according to people I trust on these forums, don't do that much anyways, certainly not as much as they should, weren't as rare as unicorn farts these days.

we all have to upgrade occasionally
'occasionally' is almost as accurate as my 'decent' framerate ;) Still the life time of any electronic part is very important environmentally speaking. The longer it is, the better. FD could commit to this engagement "just" by giving more priority to optimization. Let's imagine for a moment : "We're commited to expend our player's device lifetime". That would be a win-win for them commercially speaking and for life on this planet.

I have read David Braben's post the other day and I don't understand how (the hell?) he could get close to a decent framerate on ground ?
He never said that he have a decent framerate. Just that he has tried the game on similar config 😈

I don't have 30+ FPS issues given my system is pretty beasty (see signature). So, this is not a complaint - I'm just sharing some info.

I have been watching the gpu % during different aspects of gameplay, and I noticed that while doing horizons stuffs (not on an installation planet side or not in a station on foot) the gpu is < 20% .. as soon as I go onto a planet installation it jumps to 50% .. and when I get out on foot to go into the concourse it shoots up to 70%.. that's quite amazing given I'm on a RTX 3070. Horizons sat < 10% the entire time I played it on this setup.

On my ASUS ROG laptop during the beta I couldn't even play it on the lowest settings in full screen on a GTX 980 due to both performance and the textures never loading right causing everything to be out of place. I don't even try to play this game on there.

I do hope to see some improvement.

View attachment 241230
The problem is that a) they lied through their teeth about the requirements, then b) changed it last second (literally a day before release) and c) not even that is true.

A game that says a 1060 is recommended only runs decently on a 3070? That's like the butt end of a joke. If I see 1060 recommended, I'm not expecting my 2060 to dip below 30 fps on High.

Have you considered a cat picture to brighten your mood?
Maybe he needs some SPG in his life!

spg.jpg

Hum... we were speaking about Braben's words, not yours (unless you are a Braben's spy account).

Crap.... I've been discovered.

No, as I said I had not seen that post so was not sure what he was trying to say.... Still not sure after reading it since it does not say much. But he's not saying what I was suggesting either.

Crap.... I've been discovered.

No, as I said I had not seen that post so was not sure what he was trying to say.... Still not sure after reading it since it does not say much. But he's not saying what I was suggesting either.
Now I'm the one who's lost 😅

You mean : how did Calim come to the conclusion that Braben had decent performance with his 2014 setup ?

Now I'm the one who's lost 😅

You mean : how did Calim come to the conclusion that Braben had decent performance with his 2014 setup ?

Man. Text communication can go so wrong. Lets try this:

1.) I had not read Braben's statement so was unaware of what he said beyond Calim's mention of it but inferred it dismissed performance concerns as he was using low end hardware and was it was acceptable.
2.) I read Braben's statement as linked
3.) I'm not sure what Braben's point was after reading that statement but it didn't seem to be what I inferred.
4.) I retracted my last statement, but left the "What was his point" portion.

If that is not sufficient to explain this minor comment on the forum which I have now retracted, well.... that's okay. It'll have to remain an enigma I suppose. :unsure:

Well, I should have posted my reference in the first place.

The quote from DB is:

"I have been playing on my old home machine from 2014, which has an Intel i7 Extreme CPU and a GTX 980 GPU, 16 Gb RAM, playing at 1080p full screen at Ultra. I was doing this so I could have a good feel for how the game was playing on older hardware, and I used this same machine during Alpha. I have also been playing on a high spec 2021 dev machine."

If you want to push people to buy new video cards you need to show them a reason to. That means having some amazing graphics, not the garbage we’ve been given in EDO. None of this is anywhere near worthy of even pushing the limits of a 2070, let alone a 3070 or above.

Top Bottom