Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 4

true, it wouldn't have permission to delete the files if you're taking from /usr/ and not some local copy of gstreamer (in case your distro is not rocking the same version)

but that could cause issues when updating proton that lead to the update failing vs completing. ..which you dont want either.
env STEAM_NATIVE_RUNTIME, nope?

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
No shame right now, I'm going to copy paste what I put from the other thread in here.

COMMANDERS!

With all the luck and will in the world (joking, kind of), we've pushed an update to Steam which will (hopefully) negate the need for the workaround steps to reconnect to the game, for any of you who are stuck, even with those attempts of resolve.

If you haven't done so already, please restart Steam to welcome in the update.

Thanks (so, so much)!

A fix has been implemented for fine textures sometimes not loading on planet surfaces.
Regarding this fix, it is partially working for me. For the first time I'm actually seeing high res textures while walking on the surface!

But, there are some LOD problems.

Here's how the ground looks now when the textures load. Pretty good!

Screenshot_1391.jpg

But if I take just one step forward, I see this instead:

Screenshot_1392.jpg

Then if I take a couple more steps, I see this weirdness:

Screenshot_1393.jpg

If you guys can fix it so the textures load reliably, then please do! They look good when they load.

for @sallymorganmoore
Have tried all this thread's work arounds to get steam to play without success; sad but please don't give up -- my addiction to this game requires its daily dose so back to Xbox for now; I'll monitor this thread and when you can push an update that works, I'll give EDO another go and feed my PC Elite: Dangerous addiction there too.

Thanks for reading my mind; I'm in and can now work on getting my PC account (450hrs) caught up to my Xbox account (7.5K hrs) - actually enjoy ED more on PC so Thanks again, o7

Last edited:
Regarding this fix, it is partially working for me. For the first time I'm actually seeing high res textures while walking on the surface!

If you guys can fix it so the textures load reliably, then please do! They look good when they load.
I had it on very hot moon-like planet; the background was black tho' so I initially thought it's melted oil, lol! xD

sallymorganmoore

I would truly love it if you wouldn't mind putting this in an issue tracker ticket for me please.
Would you DM it across once you have, please?

Thanks millions.

for elite, i need no special environment variables or special ways to launch or edits for wine/proton tricks. Just a clean proton experimental prefix and it is good to go.

the gstreamer stuff is just bonus to get other games fully working.
That how I run steam
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
export STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=1
export STEAM_NATIVE_RUNTIME=1
LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/steam-runtime $@

Okey, game starts now.
I'm still forced to play ugly 720p on 1080p monitor with like 15 fps on ground station.
My 1050 gpu is 5% better then on PS4. So...have no idea how u will release that on consoles.

sallymorganmoore

I'm afraid I'll never keep track of these if they're videos linked in here sadly. Could you add them to the relevant tracker tickets please and then DM me them? Thanks.
As much we appreciate the communication as a community I don't see why you need to be the only CM on this thread, surely FDEV can spare at least one more to help with the sheer amount of threads you need to go through

Diagonal movement in FSS/System Map on gamepad still broken.

Galaxy map search broken in new and interesting ways:
Go to GalMap, search "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5-1", takes you to system. Fine.
Quit GalMap. Go back into GalMap, search "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5-2", takes you to system. Change mind and search instead "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5-1" - now it gives you the drop down box that you can't get past until you select something.

Conversely, partial search is now garbage.
Go to GalMap and search "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5" - no dropdown of system, doesn't exist.
Quit GalMap. Back into Galmap, search "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5-1", goes to system. Now search "GRAEA HYPUE KY-Q d5", get expected dropdown of all systems with that prefix.

I spent 30+ mins trying to put this in Issue Tracker, but it decided to hang and do nothing but give me 3 dots for > 5 mins after pushing submit. It didn't submit. Because it's so poorly written, I couldn't even get back to the details I'd added. No, I won't be wasting more time on it so it can be ignored anyway.

Top Bottom