Feature Focus: Guest Building and Dinosaur Customisation

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Welcome back Park Managers!

We are very excited to bring you another Jurassic World Evolution 2 Feature Focus! Last week we talked about how you acquire, create and manage the prehistoric dinosaurs and reptiles in your parks. This week we're taking a look at the ways you can put your personal touch on your parks and your dinosaurs. Let's talk about customisation!

JWE2_Announce_Screenshots_Taiga_WM_960x540.jpg

In Jurassic World Evolution 2 we're introducing Guest Building customisation. This new feature will let you edit and change your Guest Buildings on the fly, allowing you to add your own mark to your parks with unique looks and further personalisation.

Guest Buildings are split into two types: Amenities and Attractions. Amenities come in Small, Medium and Large size, which determines their overall capacity. Customising these buildings can be done internally and externally, which serve different purposes. We'll cover internal modifications first, and then move on to external customisation.

Your guests have different interests and different people will be attracted to different areas of your parks based on their interests. You can change a Guest Building's internal modules to better cater to these interests and maximise your profits. Keep in mind that the internal modules aren't visible from the outside, and won't change the look of the building itself, but will change what sort of guests the building primarily cater to. From steak houses for adventurers to bowling alleys for nature lovers, the choice is yours.

The outside of your Guest Buildings can be modified in a variety of ways to add that personal touch. With the click of a button you can cycle through different looks for the building facade, the roof and potential roof decorations, entrance style and location, and different types of outside signage and decorations. By mixing and matching different styles, you can quickly find something that works best for you and your parks. You've already seen a small sample of this in the thumbnail for this very Feature Focus!

You can further alter your Guest Buildings by changing the colouration. Contrasting and complimentary colours on the façade will make your buildings truly stand out from their surroundings. You can also change the colour of the roofs, decorations, and even lights if you have them. It's designed to be flexible and offer players a quick and easy way to put a personal touch on their parks.

GL_Feature_Focus_Thumbnail_Steakhouse_960x540.jpg
Park Customisation

Guest Buildings aren't the only way you will be adding a personal touch to your parks. In Jurassic World Evolution 2 we're expanding your options for decorating and customising your parks! You will be able to add a variety of decorations to your parks and quickly add in forests, shrubbery, and terrain surfaces with the game's quick and easy tools.

Your Terrain Tools will let you raise, lower, flatten and smooth the landscape and one of our goals during development has been to implement more control for landscape shaping and a greater variety of brush sizes. You won't be able to recreate Mt. Sibo, but you will have a little more control over the shape and look of the landscape with the Terrain Tools and Surface Brushes.

Surface Brushes let you paint the terrain with sand and rocks to mud and gravel, and once you're happy with the surface terrain you can start adding in free standing bushes, rocks and trees. We've seen many of you asking if there are decorations coming in Jurassic World Evolution 2. Short answer: Yes! Tables and chairs, lights, banners and planters can all be added to your parks. You won't be able to build elaborate blueprints and designs like in Planet Zoo or Planet Coaster, but we know decorations are important to the community and you will be able to add a little extra flair to your parks.

Dinosaur Gene Editing

We touched briefly on genetic modification of dinosaurs in our last Feature Focus, and we'd be remiss not to mention dinosaur cosmetic genes this week. Changing your dinosaurs' cosmetic genes will allow you to change their appearance in two different ways: Pattern and Colouration. You have already seen a few examples of this genetic modification in our screenshots and Species Field Guides.

You will be able to change the base colour of the dinosaur, as well as the colouration of the dinosaur's skin pattern. Colouration is selected from a set of different colour options, and while you won't be able to make a fluorescent pink T. rex, you will have a wide variety of skin and pattern colours to choose from.

We hope you've enjoyed this brief look into the different ways you can add a unique touch to your dinosaurs, your parks, and your guest buildings! Which part are you most excited to get your hands on? Is it customisable Guest Buildings, or maybe the wider ranger of skin patterns and colours? Sound off in the comments to let us know. Until our next Feature Focus you can follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and join the discussions about the game on our forums!

Last edited:
You will be able to change the base colour of the dinosaur, as well as the colouration of the dinosaur's skin pattern. Colouration is selected from a set of different colour options, and while you won't be able to make a fluorescent pink T. rex, you will have a wide variety of skin and pattern colours to choose from.
guess that would be so, that's great, every day with more hype of the game

Now this is super nice! Thank you for confirming the place-able decorations! Nothing is really vague here and it seems to strike the balance between JWE and PZ which is what we all have really been asking for. PZ can be overwhelming with its options for buildings and custom blueprints especially when the focus should really be on the dinos and their behaviors to start with, so in short, thrilled with this.

The only questions I have are really about the variety of individual place-able scenery items. Is a good variety of rocks, trees and such? Are they biome specific (ferns and pines in the taiga vs cactus and shrub in the desert)? Can we put down any scenery from any biome on any map? (If not, a good idea for sandbox!).

Are benches, tables, lights (please say there are street lights you can place similar to PZ. The little ones from RTJP are nice but they aren't exactly bright), etc, are they locked to the foundations of buildings OR can we literally place them in the middle of an enclosure for giggles if we wanted to? Right now, in JWE, the hit-boxes and collision boxes are really extreme and make it to where we have to rely on mods to allow us PZ-like freedom to place and create by bypassing those blocks and creating custom rock formations or "caves".

That's all I got. Otherwise, call me super excited because I cannot wait to see the next feature focus (hopefully on diseases, injuries and the paleo vet system/ranger teams!)

Last edited:
Yay for decorations! I always thought the first game needed some fountains, amber statues, and skeletons. The customizable buildings look really nice.

Still really hoping we get to set cosmetic genes to random this time around.

Yipes! I missed something. Nothing discussing water and its placement was mentioned. Will it get its own focus or is it being worked on? I truly hope its like PZ where you dig a hole and then fill it.

Your guests have different interests and different people will be attracted to different areas of your parks based on their interests.
Does this mean our guests are individuals like the tycoon games we can click and get info, OR we talk about just numbers.
This is important for the management part and I hope we get an answer soon.

and

you won't be able to make a fluorescent pink T. rex

shame :)

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
The only questions I have are really about the variety of individual place-able scenery items. Is a good variety of rocks, trees and such? Are they biome specific (ferns and pines in the taiga vs cactus and shrub in the desert)? Can we put down any scenery from any biome on any map? (If not, a good idea for sandbox!).

Are benches, tables, lights (please say there are street lights you can place similar to PZ. The little ones from RTJP are nice but they aren't exactly bright), etc, are they locked to the foundations of buildings OR can we literally place them in the middle of an enclosure for giggles if we wanted to? Right now, in JWE, the hit-boxes and collision boxes are really extreme and make it to where we have to rely on mods to allow us PZ-like freedom to place and create by bypassing those blocks and creating custom rock formations or "caves".
Hey Dinowolf! We'll have more details to share about placeables at a later date.

Yipes! I missed something. Nothing discussing water and its placement was mentioned. Will it get its own focus or is it being worked on? I truly hope its like PZ where you dig a hole and then fill it.
Water placement will be similar to the first game where you paint it into the landscape.
Does this mean our guests are individuals like the tycoon games we can click and get info, OR we talk about just numbers.
This is important for the management part and I hope we get an answer soon.
We'll have more details to share about guests and guest management at a later date :)

"Internal modules aren't visible from the outside"
Does this mean that we can enter buildings?
For example, see an aquarium from the inside?

Excellent! Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I prefer pre-made buildings you can customize vs. Planet Zoo where you could make buildings from scratch, it was too daunting trying to figure out what to build or even how to build.

On an unrelated note, I really hope we can finally build gates over paths so we can create exclusive/sectioned off sections of the park or restricted operations areas.

Your Terrain Tools will let you raise, lower, flatten and smooth the landscape and one of our goals during development has been to implement more control for landscape shaping and a greater variety of brush sizes. You won't be able to recreate Mt. Sibo, but you will have a little more control over the shape and look of the landscape with the Terrain Tools and Surface Brushes.

Surface Brushes let you paint the terrain with sand and rocks to mud and gravel, and once you're happy with the surface terrain you can start adding in free standing bushes, rocks and trees.
@Jens Erik this seems very worrying that we can't create the varied and elaborate environments on a level of Planet Zoo. For example the terrain tools, at least from reading this, don't seem as if they are as advanced as PZ; the problem with this is animals in our current times aren't exclusive to having varied, elaborate and interesting environments which PZ allows you to make. Dinosaurs also had varied, elaborate and interesting environments; so, not having the terrain tools on the same level or greater than PZ, to be perfectly honest, is a really low blow when I have read and seen many comments and threads about us wanting the ability to create environments on the level and detail of PZ.

Furthermore, when you mention free standing bushes, rocks and trees, I hope that it is similar to PZ in that we can individually place them, angle them in anyway we desire, phaze them through themselves and the ground to create really elaborate and interesting habitats that frankly our dinosaurs deserve and in which they have lived.

Maybe, you are being really vague on purpose and what you are describing is far more elaborate than I am thinking. If the whole creativity for creating environments is not really in depth and elaborate like PZ and it is simple then I have to say that this is very disappointing. I completely agree with the whole idea of not having blueprints and elaborate designs for actual building structures and the requested decorations (chairs, tables, etc.) like PZ and PC as you want to make this game different and make it fit a Jurassic World game, the way you have described it is great as having elaborate designs and blueprints for actual building structures was not needed; BUT, for creativity for environments/biomes/habitats we should have limitless creativity by having all the tools and abilities on the level of PZ because our dinosaurs lived in very interesting and elaborate environments, animals in current times aren't exclusive to having this, and we need to have the ability to make any environment to our hearts' content such as being able to make waterfalls, geysers, phazing and angling the a huge assortment of individually placeable trees, rocks, bushes from various biomes into anything (ex. phasing multiple rocks into each other to make it look like a landslide and then phazing a tree and angling it into the rocks to make it seem as if trees started growing from this landslide area.)

I will still be looking forward to playing this game but as I stated if the terrain tools and everything associated with creating any type of environment/biome is not on the level of PZ or greater, then this would be MAJOR let-down and many fans will be let down on this aspect, including myself. Hopefully you can add it later; I don't want to make this statement but if there ever would be a sequel to JWE2 (aka JWE3), then limitless creativity for environment/biome/habitat creation on the level of PZ (and it's successor) or greater is an ABSOLUTE MUST.

I still look forward to seeing and playing this game and great job so far, despite the potential let-down from the way I am reading this.

Last edited:
Water placement will be similar to the first game where you paint it into the landscape.

3 little questions: - more than one depth?
- land living dinosaurs able to swim?
- interaction between Aquatic and land living Dinosaurs possible?

Maybe a bit to early to become an answer on that questions but the hype is real and I'm realy looking forward on that great game you develop.

Are we gonna be able to see the patterns and colorations of the dinosaurs (on the dinosaur itself) before we incubate them?

I hope the player is not forced to place things like restaurants or arcades near the enclosure. It's kind of weird to think of a steakhouse near a carnivorous predator's area - it feels like an invitation to disaster. :v

Hi Frontier
So for the placeable decorations does that include dino banners/signs like the ones we got in RTJP?
Also are there bench's ? If there are can guests sit on them?
That is all I think you guys at frontier have done a great job. I am very excited for all placeable materials.

Top Bottom