Odyssey Progress

The game runs fine now, I dont want FDEV downgrading the game graphics so cheapskates can run it on a 486, why dont you spend money get an RTX and enjoy gaming, so many complaints about game performance still and most are running on crap machines, what exactly can you run on a i3 laptop? maybe dungeon keeper 2 ?
I love posts like this. Where does the game run fine? Nowhere is the answer. How DARE you assume that people with lower spec pc's are cheapskates? The utter audacity of that statement just tells everyone else what kind of person you are. Lose the sarcastic comments, and maybe someone will take you seriously. As to the issues, there are so many it's not even funny. Maybe if you played the game you'd notice.

Elite has always been considered a marvel of optimization while providing looking dead gorgeous graphics and scale, people have gotten to run it on a raspberry pi . Odyssey broke that legacy and the jump in graphical quality hasn't been that much to justify it imo. Clearly releasing too early and lacking a serious optimization review. These updates improved things but I bet there's still plenty to optimize if they want it to work on consoles.

That sort of thing (my photo attachment) happens to me pretty much all the time in basic coriolis stations. That one is Bates Orbital in Mombalumba (or nearby system) IIRC.

It's a pretty amazing example though typically it looks more like:
View attachment 247077

Which is literally 2 seconds before I strafed left for the pic. As I move polys randomly get culled or not.

Typically I see things flicker in and out or not get rendered correctly (see attached) - I suspect it's an occlusion volume issue of some sort.

I also get a fair amount of odd object alignment issues. I (after a good few years in programming, and about 5 in gamedev specifically) can't fathom what would cause this sort of thing:
View attachment 247079

And the same place, next visit:
View attachment 247080
Very strange. Could be a streaming issue, but why such an inconsitent offset? It's not a randomised position, the concourses are hand-designed for the most part.

And this sort of stuff is of course on top of the poor RNG balancing/checking, disappointing mechanics etc etc. And yes, this is update 5, not 'alpha', not 'release'. This is after 5 good swings at fixing stuff.
I usually chalk such things up as glitches with graphics and don't worry about them too much. Stuff happens. I would be more concerned with an inability to complete missions, or getting trapped in the middle of a wall (forcing a restart, resetting the mission and losing critical items for completing it successfully) - which has actually happened to me. Once. It annoyed me, but people didn't see me whining about it in a thread on the forums for six weeks afterwards. (Not that YOU necessarily were, Winterdyne, I'm talking about people in general, even people who don't even own the game.)

I've also had that glitch happen a couple of times in a settlement (which is really unpleasant), had a few mission-failing bugs and crashes, and so on. The consistency of the fault is the issue. It's just not fun to play like that. Elite's not the most immersive of games at the best of times, but that sort of thing is just naff. Coupled with the performance, it's basically unforgivable in a £40 spend.

To be honest, I've pretty much held off on actual complaint until update 4, at which point it became VERY obvious that a vast majority of bugs simply weren't going to get fixed.

I've also had that glitch happen a couple of times in a settlement (which is really unpleasant), had a few mission-failing bugs and crashes, and so on. The consistency of the fault is the issue. It's just not fun to play like that. Elite's not the most immersive of games at the best of times, but that sort of thing is just naff. Coupled with the performance, it's basically unforgivable in a £40 spend.

To be honest, I've pretty much held off on actual complaint until update 4, at which point it became VERY obvious that a vast majority of bugs simply weren't going to get fixed.

It's very interesting to me that these bugs seem to be so intermittent. I have experienced very few issues - my Odyssey experience has been very smooth and extremely low on glitches. I don't know what I'm doing differently than you, but there you go.

It's very interesting to me that these bugs seem to be so intermittent. I have experienced very few issues - my Odyssey experience has been very smooth and extremely low on glitches. I don't know what I'm doing differently than you, but there you go.

Similar (culling issues, and misalignment were repeatable at Bates Orbital). I'm not really certain how this sort of issue could sneak in. You'd think, 'load these assets, here' would be a fairly robust mechanism.

Putting money where me mouth is I am also working on a game like Elite, you can have a look over at ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.edzup.starrogue ) for more info. I also hold a full time job up as well in retail ;). This game IS ALPHA but runs on ya phone lol :)

This isn't to blow me own trumpet but to show that if o can make this on my own then a company of hundreds working full time on it should be able to have got Elite done ages ago.

Last edited:
CM constantly does things known to be bugged, because they themselves don't know. I strongly suspect the CMs and devs have very poor understanding of the actual end-user experience.
So basically your saying they play the game exactly the same as the rest of us, we don't know what's bugged in the game until we run the game. Whilst I do agree writing games these days is hit and miss when dealing with drivers/windows and hardware variations there is an element of write it for the widest audience possible with the information you have which is why things like UE and Unity are so widely used.

R.gif

I would like to know if we will ever get an update from David Braben on the direction of the game?

Mr. Braben started this thread and I would rather it be for some AMA or update from him as general complaints that are spewing everywhere else on the forums.

I expect FD are working hard to fix the issues introduced by this premature release and not doing proper acceptance of "alpha" feedback and not having a beta test, but DB is not doing that work. Although he did laud the Kickstarter beta process and could ensure ED got better testing in the future.

I more expect DB to be giving some feedback to the community on where FDev are in developing the more grand vision of ED "paid releases". Getting feet in the game is a good waypoint, but the initial implementation, like quite a few in ED, seems needing more building out and only "partial atmospheres" 6 years after planetary landings seems like deliberately slow-walking major features.

So where does DB see the game in 2024 at the 10 year anniversary of launch? Or in 2022 at the 10 year anniversary of the Kickstarter? Does his vision for the many "paid expansions" with full atmospheres and Earth-likes and roaming ships and stations still hold? Or has FDev scaled the ambitions back due to "reasons"?

So where does DB see the game in 2024 at the 10 year anniversary of launch? Or in 2022 at the 10 year anniversary of the Kickstarter? Does his vision for the many "paid expansions" with full atmospheres and Earth-likes and roaming ships and stations still hold? Or has FDev scaled the ambitions back due to "reasons"?

My impression from FDev is they don't have any tangible plans for the game past the Odyssey console release at the end of this year. Maybe a few little content updates once console and PC are synced again and Horizon is rolled up to Odyssey client. Stuff like Thargoid foot combat or something benign like such. Other than that it doesn't seem like they have anything substantial planned out for the future of the game.

And if they do they don't want to talk about it. Like usual, sadly.

And if they do they don't want to talk about it. Like usual, sadly.
By the looks of things, declining player numbers, I kinda doubt there will be anything to talk about.
Except maybe the epitaphs called Fleet carrier of players who stocked it with so much cash, it will last until the servers are shut down.

In its current state EDO doesn't have much to stand on, not even its scrawny space legs will hold it up.
The console players might or might not be the saving grace, but if that flops over there as well, that will be the first load of dirt on the coffin for ED. Odyssey has put enough nails into it already.

Personally, i think, IF Fdev want to salvage ED from the brink of its imminent death, they would do best by announcing a proper roadmap, what's planned, what's being worked on, and when can we expect it.
I'm not talking interiors, I'm talking meaningful gameplay.
Not just scanning rocks and stalks. You do that for an hour and you've seen it all. The planets are repetitive enough already as it is, and the vegetation is really the same too. This fungus is green, this one is yellow, and this one is blue. Sounds like the weekly paint job release. Quick recolour, push it out the door and call it a day.

I've started playing Everspace 2.
Take a small ship, fly into a big asteroid and mine crystals in there. Or find some hidden loot there.
Or explore a derelict ship, opening doors, disabling defenses, grab loot, get out!

Something simple as that could easily be translated to ED:
Can't take your anaconda or cutter into a derelict ship! But that SLF will do a perfect job!
Find the crate at the end of a well designed wreck, might even have to land and do some on foot gameplay, disable that energy barrier so you can continue with your ship, take out some turrets, pick up the salvage at the end. (Custom module? a voucher for a G5 upgrade? Be creative here!)

So much potential Fdev. Please put some creativity into it and your game will live on. At this rate, you'll be pulling the plugs on the server by the end of the year.

Please put some creativity into it and your game will live on. At this rate, you'll be pulling the plugs on the server by the end of the year.
The heat death of the universe will be earlier than expected - "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

I'm experiencing a situation where, when I choose, "exit to desktop" the screen goes blank and the game just sits there doing nothing. I eventually have to close it using the Task Manager.

Has anyone else experience this? If not, I won't bother reporting it as a bug, but otherwise, I think it's worthwhile.

I'm experiencing a situation where, when I choose, "exit to desktop" the screen goes blank and the game just sits there doing nothing. I eventually have to close it using the Task Manager.

Has anyone else experience this? If not, I won't bother reporting it as a bug, but otherwise, I think it's worthwhile.

Yes. The game itself runs fine for me too but I do get this issue quite often, at least 50% of the time.

Try with re-validation file.

Top Bottom