"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

Oh noes. Don't tease us FDev...

Hope?

It's the same answer type :)
Nothing to announce yet
ED is still confirmed only on PS4/XB1
and the likes.

if you want to read into it more than that...

i still maintain my view (wishful thinking combined with a bit of rationale) that:
  • they manage a breakthrough and we get a native version at the same time with the old gen version
  • they release EDO on old gen, then after that version is stabilized, the work on native version will commence and we will have it sometime next year.

Edit: and while i like the former option more, i'm perfectly fine with the latter too..

It's the same answer type :)
Nothing to announce yet
ED is still confirmed only on PS4/XB1
and the likes.

if you want to read into it more than that...

i still maintain my view (wishful thinking combined with a bit of rationale) that:
  • they manage a breakthrough and we get a native version at the same time with the old gen version
  • they release EDO on old gen, then after that version is stabilized, the work on native version will commence and we will have it sometime next year.

Edit: and while i like the former option more, i'm perfectly fine with the latter too..
I would bet on option 2. At least this i how my wishful thinking interprets FDevs spin ;)

If that's the way they're continuing to answer then maybe it's time to change the question slightly. Instead of asking if they're developing or planning to develop for PS5 how about asking if they're even supporting PS5 currently. I mean in terms of fixing issues.

FD have confirmed a number of times that the new console owners can play ED in BC mode, but I've heard you guys with PS5s are getting a lot of crashes that don't seem to be happening on PS4 (I haven't had any crashes in a long while, except for a couple immediately after the Odyssey compatibility update, nothing since then).

Are FD paying any attention to current-gen specific issues at present? I'd say that's a reasonable question.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
FD have confirmed a number of times that the new console owners can play ED in BC mode, but I've heard you guys with PS5s are getting a lot of crashes that don't seem to be happening on PS4 (I haven't had any crashes in a long while, except for a couple immediately after the Odyssey compatibility update, nothing since then).

Are FD paying any attention to current-gen specific issues at present? I'd say that's a reasonable question.
It's a very reasonable question. I'd say currently they are not even investigating the crashes based on what we see. But, in FDevs defence the number of votes on the PS5 crash issue has hardly moved the dial so while I've asked a couple of times it's probably not on the radar.

This is me just guessing of course but, I've not seen any reaching out to the PS5 players.

We PS5 players are very much a minority of a minority unfortunately.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I've given up.

Started playing Star Citizen (on PC obviously). Hope to see any other PS-Elite people in the 'verse :cool:
I'll be picking it up when my PC arrives that can actually run it. I'll look you up on there.

I do hope that FDev do throw us PS5 players some scraps at some point with Elite but, I totally get your sentiment about giving up.

I noticed yesterday that Arthur has just gone on holiday (don't know how long for) so I don't expect to see any details on the Roadmap soon.
I would expect him to want to present the information

I've given up.

Started playing Star Citizen (on PC obviously). Hope to see any other PS-Elite people in the 'verse :cool:
SC looks really promising, but I'm not in the mood to play an alpha. So I'll wait for the full release and will upgrade my PC for that. Also played NMS quite a bit, but never came over the awful flight mechanics and -physics (very arcady) and while it definitely can look beautiful, it's too cartoony for my taste. Also the missing possibility of building a base together with friends when the base owner is not online killed some of our enthusiasm.

So I still hope for some ED improvements on PS5 (native version) and that Odyssey will get fixed until console release. I tend to look at the Odyssey screenshot thread and the new planet tech can be really stunning (I know, it can also be awful and create repeating patterns). Really looking forward to go exploring if they can fix the issues with planets.

I've given up.

I am considering that myself but not sure how my Mac Bootcamp eGPU setup will handle it. I am even thinking of building a PC as PS5’s are no where to be seen.

How is it going - first impressions? Blackmaze did quite a good video about it on YouTube.

The response from Sally doesn't really tell us anything. If I had to guess, I'd say Frontier have no idea what the future plans are right now and are on a high level trying to build a future for the game. They're almost at crisis point. Whether or not that future involves PS5 I think still remains to be seen. I'm not going to be holding my breath any longer.

I've also recently moved to Star Citizen. Happy to hook up with any fellow PS CMDRs if you wanted to send me your ID on there.

Don't know if I'm allowed to link this, but I will anyway. There's a really good story video that while primarily about Star Citizen also covers Elite Dangerous in depth as well. It's a fair and balanced view from one person and IMO is really well told. Well worth a watch if you have the time and inclination.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRP9A8VQwIU&t=1s

What a difference from the very early days of Odyssey, when the question floating around (even the SC forum) was "Is Elite Dangerous Odyssey a potential Star Citizen killer?"

[edit: That's not me having a snarky dig, that's me just feeling really sad]

Last edited:
How is it going - first impressions?
PC gaming is as bad as i remember: update OS, drivers, DS4Windows (to map controller as not natively supported), fiddle settings for stable framerate.... and then the keybindings / controller detection is all messed up.
Got there eventually, but i've probably spent 3 hours just getting it working to my first Armstrong moment :unsure:

* i'm getting 30fps to 60fps on very high with RTX 2070, 16GB RAM, i7-10750H, SSD

Saying that, the space-feet and ship interiors game is everything i hoped ED would be, and i'm just in my tiny starter ship. But yes immersion and attention to detail is all over the place. Compared to Odyssey's space ports, these feel real in SC.
It is however quite sim-simulation, so loads of arguably needless hurdles to jump because err sim.

All i've really done so far is spawn, run to my ship and have issues and respawn 3 times (crashing while trying to keybind etc), and only just managed to do my first proper controlled take off, hop to a random landing site, land, go back to the space port and land again. I'm calling that a success even if baby's first steps.
Hopefully i can start exploring the game properly now, but it is very encouraging at the moment. If @boppa_ has a few hours under the belt already, then probably far better to give impressions.

o7 cmdrs

StarCitizen_armstrong.jpg

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Why Sony haven't released DS4 / DualSense drivers for Windows 10 now they are releasing games there is beyond me. DS4Windows is a pain in the backside.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Guess they are miffed at the ecosystem MS is building between PC and XB and dont really want to give them another toy.
After all, they're the one promoting and supporting "exclusive" stuff.
Not sure where you have been but, Sony are releasing PlayStation Studios Games on Windows and will continue to do so as time goes on, probably just not day one releases like Xbox which is so Sony can sell more hardware, which MS don't really need to do.

Microsoft has learned "exclusive" stuff is good too, one of the reasons I am getting a new PC.

Kicked into the long grass

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Kicked into the long grass

Top Bottom