"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

it’s also hard to quantify how well an update stream goes with the audience.
so many people will be asking:
  • what about x
  • what about y
  • why haven’t you fixed z
it’ll be hard to takeaway positive comments

by turning it to a post, they can go back and clarify / change the post when people point our issues
they can also take pride in the high number of posts that the dev update will generate - wow look how popular the game is, so many people are engaging with us, etc

Apparently so it's clear and not watered down was what Arf said.
it makes sense, I don't understand why it had to wait for tonight's stream though??
I'm sure a lot of todays rage would have been avoided had they given Sally the option to post that earlier

it makes sense, I don't understand why it had to wait for tonight's stream though??
I'm sure a lot of todays rage would have been avoided had they given Sally the option to post that earlier
Sorry, what was the rage of the day and what Sally posted?

It's consistent with the console questions though, they consistently ignore it. It's obvious now

Either they're hiding a big secret (good or bad), or they're massively disrespectful of the console player base...

Sorry, what was the rage of the day and what Sally posted?
the dev livestream that was being spoken about for the last month that was due tomorrow was announced now as a dev post, forum asked a number of times if the planned stream was still going ahead, no answers came, forum started to lose its shizzle, OA posted a tweet (or insta i dunno) that answered the question, it was to be a post, no stream, forum continued to lose its shizzle, Sally (who has been a trooper) tried to quell the raging thirst advising it would all be explained in todays stream and she couldn't say anymore, more rage, more shizzle, turns out it's a reasonable reason for it

Had Sally been given the go ahead to simply post that reason and answer the question sooner I recon it would have been business as usual

now the forum has so much pent up rage that unless tomorrows post (and patch now) is filled with complete fixes, has a 3 year detailed road map and confirms full support for current gen, all hell (and its mum) is going to break loose

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
any indication on why its a dev post and not stream?

Nicked from:

Thanks @scrappy365

I don't want to say game is Doomed(tm) but they're not exactly inspiring confidence.

It sure feels like the game is basically in maintenance mode for consoles, yeah a DLC is due end of the year, but the total effort feels poor. Since end of Horizons we've had what? They delayed Beyond for quality of life and didnt really do the things many were asking for (ship balance, looking at limpets etc, actual QoL things).

At this point i'm looking at Star Citizen, and will try the next free fly event. As while Elite seems to be winding down, Sta Citizen is an improving alpha with increasing development effort.
Maybe it'll come to PS5 eventually?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I don't want to say game is Doomed(tm) but they're not exactly inspiring confidence.

It sure feels like the game is basically in maintenance mode for consoles, yeah a DLC is due end of the year, but the total effort feels poor. Since end of Horizons we've had what? They delayed Beyond for quality of life and didnt really do the things many were asking for (ship balance, looking at limpets etc, actual QoL things).

At this point i'm looking at Star Citizen, and will try the next free fly event. As while Elite seems to be winding down, Sta Citizen is an improving alpha with increasing development effort.
Maybe it'll come to PS5 eventually?
I will be doing the same when my new PC comes Stinja. I won't even be getting Odyssey on the PC for a while I don't think. I have pretty much decided I wont be getting it on PS5 especially left the way it is with its regular crashing and sub-optimal graphical presentation. I am pretty sad about it.

I think my Elite Dangerous PlayStation days are numbered, and it's not the fault of the PS5. I got the Platinum and eventually triple Elite, maybe it's time to move on.

It reminds me of home DIY, I get in from work and I’m genuinely too tired to do it.

It’s only when my wife nags me I push on and get some of these things done. I wouldn’t say I’m lazy, I sort the garden and clean the house every week, with small DIY bits dotted in between.

So, what I’m saying in full TLDR: I feel the console version of ELITE is like that DIY job we keep putting off, for whatever reasons we may have, except it’s not us ‘putting’ the ‘off’.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The really, really sad thing about it all is given some love from the developers, a bit of investment and will the PS5 could be a great place to play Elite Dangerous. I remember my first few heady weeks at launch in June 2017 on PS4 Pro. I was in awe of this game, I loved it, I do love it. I've spent thousands of hours playing it. You don't play something for that much time if you don't enjoy it. :)

The really, really sad thing about it all is given some love from the developers, a bit of investment and will the PS5 could be a great place to play Elite Dangerous. I remember my first few heady weeks at launch in June 2017 on PS4 Pro. I was in awe of this game, I loved it, I do love it. I spent thousands of hours playing it. You don't play something for that much time if you don't enjoy it. :)
What he said!

I will be doing the same when my new PC comes Stinja. I won't even be getting Odyssey on the PC for a while I don't think. I have pretty much decided I wont be getting it on PS5 especially left the way it is with its regular crashing and sub-optimal graphical presentation. I am pretty sad about it.

I think my Elite Dangerous PlayStation days are numbered, and it's not the fault of the PS5. I got the Platinum and eventually triple Elite, maybe it's time to move on.
These words are kind of sad to hear, but understandable :( Perhaps you can reconsider depending on the upcoming development. You are a pillar for the PS community, so this would we a big loss.

The question is, if this is really only about the current state of the game or at least to some degree also getting tired of it because of hundreds or thousand of hours playtime. For me it is like an on-off relationship. I play a few weeks quite intensive and then I am gone for a while and play other stuff. Though mostly I have short sessions with a friend like once week, even during the breaks to follow some ingame mystery (e.g. Hesperus).

I really hope to get a current gen version, but when you think about it: it will be still the same game, just looking a bit nicer/more fps. That is about personal preference, but for me the content is more important than a 4k vs 1080p. So I still enjoy the game and am quite hopeful, that they will fix stuff in the future and add more content. I am also thinking about switching to PC, but tbh, when sitting at the desk the whole day for my job I prefer very much sitting on the couch for ED (I know, I could setup a PC connected to my TV...).

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
These words are kind of sad to hear, but understandable :( Perhaps you can reconsider depending on the upcoming development. You are a pillar for the PS community, so this would we a big loss.

That's actually very nice of you to say so thanks but, I like anyone else am just one player in a dwindling PlayStation community.

I've taken breaks myself but, I always find myself coming back.

I really hope to get a current gen version, but when you think about it: it will be still the same game, just looking a bit nicer/more fps. That is about personal preference, but for me the content is more important than a 4k vs 1080p. So I still enjoy the game and am quite hopeful, that they will fix stuff in the future and add more content. I am also thinking about switching to PC, but tbh, when sitting at the desk the whole day for my job I prefer very much sitting on the couch for ED (I know, I could setup a PC connected to my TV...).
You are totally right here on many levels. I agree it's not all about the graphics. I actually very much agree. I still feel the PS5 can offer so much more in terms of graphical fidelity to Elite if it was utilised. It could be used to enhance the game.

I also agree with the PC argument. It's not Elite which has really driven me solely to decide to finally get a PC fit for the times. It is an influence sure but, there are just many games I really want to try out which are now or were exclusive to Xbox and while the Xbox is cheaper the PC will replace my current aging PC and be also able to play those great Xbox games.

I also sometimes feel the same as I will be sat at the same desk on a company laptop followed by gaming on a PC sat here. I totally agree this isn't ideal but, I won't be using the PC in the living room. The PS5 will rule there. I am excited soon to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds again. It's been a while since my PC was up to gaming.

If FDev can pull something out of the bag I would definitely pick the game up on PS5 but, it just seems the enthusiasm for console isn't there from the impression we are given.

I’ll see what is announced in today’s Dev post, and then what comes in patch 5 tomorrow for PC.

I was on my PS ELITE last night, went to a surface to scoop mats in an SRV and yes, the close up textures in Horizons are horrid, but the proc gen height maps are sublime.
Having Horizons on my PlayStation and Odyssey on my PC, I can compare without stream compression and artifacting from online videos.

Unless the planetary tech is improved and there becomes a reason to upgrade to a PS5 to continue ELITE, I don’t think I’ll bother with Odyssey on PS at all, I’ll just keep to space and avoid the expansion.

Regarding my experience with Odyssey and my concern, 95% of planet surfaces that I have scanned in Odyssey are now more or less flat, there’s small undulations and variations in the terrain, but it’s copy pasted all over the place, little variety unfortunately.
But, I cannot deny planets look awesome from space, however topography is overall extremely poor once you descend to the surface.

I have only found one fairly cool planet so far, having explored 250x systems and visiting the most interesting planets in each.

If FDev can pull something out of the bag I would definitely pick the game up on PS5 but, it just seems the enthusiasm for console isn't there from the impression we are given.

Personally my problem is that the impression we are being given is primarily coming through a single job role, and I don't think it's being executed well. The lens which we see this stuff through needs changing.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Not sure of I should be happy or sad I was right. Word console does at least appear once.....

our aim was to focus on the initial set of updates and then turn our attention back onto console. There’s no doubt that the additional development work on these updates and community requests pose a challenge on our previous plans and timelines

In other words - the console launch is delayed and anything not on the current dev plan is likely also delayed further. Current-gen port is never going to happen.

Top Bottom