The awesome Dr Kay Ross is moving on from Elite & Frontier onto a stage of their life :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Kay breathed life into, helped create and maintain the game that I've spent more time playing than any other. That alone says a lot, but the sheer scope is mindblowing. To me knowing that I can look at any star in the night sky and then go and visit it in the game, is still the best thing about this game.

The fact that Stellar Forge predicted the location of Trappist-1, within 1Ly and with one more planet than the astronomers think it has, 3 years before it was discovered by astronomers! That says it all.

Huge thanks, and best wishes for what comes next.

That's unfortunate, but the writing has been on the wall already. She wrote in early 2020 that she'll be leaving, see here, but then the pandemic happened.
That's quite presumptuous, and also incorrect.

8.5 years at a company is pretty good going these days. 8.5 years on a single project is pretty outstanding. Most devs i know start complaining of getting stuck and bored in projects after 2-3 years.

Hope she enjoys her change of scenery.

Building blocks of the universe right there, I'm telling you.

I'm tempted to get my unpaid Latvian intern on an investigation into this, to check out the opportunities.

To be honest, it'll be nice to get him out of the shed for a few days, he just swears and makes a lot of fart noises, and that's not even mentioning his personal hygiene.

Am grateful for the heads-up mate ;)

o7 Dr Ross! The Stellar Forge is such a phenomenal achievement in the realm of video games, and I look forward to finding out where the next step takes you! Thanks for all the stars (and nebulae, and planets, and moons... etc.!

The Earth is also round in ED when in RL it's flat.
that, sir, is a misconception
this is the real shape of earth
xT3tA4K.png

Last edited:
Let the conjecture and doom-mongering begin 🍿🍿🍿
Well, i think that this thread is allowed to go full doom for good reasons (another key developer going away. It never brings good aftermaths)
Makes me feel the first time in the past 7 years like that's the end of the road for ED. Yes, I feel thoroughly doomed now. 😖

This is isn't a reason for doom, but hope. FD clearly needs some fresh blood. Things have been declining for some time now, any change offers the possibility of improvement. While I wish the best for Ross, this isn't some beloved sports team where I'm rooting for player I enjoy watching. It's a company making products.

I always find it kind of funny when the damage control squad hijacks a thread with the doom and gloom sarcasm even before people can reply to the actual subject matter in it. Keep fighting the good fight, warrior.

Lol, it's great!

Does this mean the planets tiling issue won't now be fixed?

I'd say the reverse. If you go to a mechanic for months on end and he can't seem to fix the issue, it's time to find a new mechanic.

Ah, excellent, perhaps someone can undo what I (possibly mistakenly) believe that her team managed to do to the planet generation.

Planet generation took a step back in technical terms switching to heightmaps. I agree. Fresh talent incoming!

Speculation, but FD may be seeing more talent turnover than anyone is aware of from the outside, which would possibly be it's saving grace. Ross is a high profile employee, any others that have left wouldn't have made a sound.

Top Bottom